Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRC/ERC/Irish & British Rallying 2014 - News and Chat

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Petter Solberg has just clinched the World Rallycross Championship. There were rumours of him returning to the WRC but it's hard to see him giving up the RX.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Francois Delecour will be competing in WRC Rallye France driving a Tuthill Porsche 911 RGT. He reckons he might be able to challenge the R5s too. should be interesting :D

Here is a bit of a mad interview from the man himself :D:D

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

These last few rallies have been fairly dramatic anyway.

Meeke going quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Rumors doing the rounds unfortunately are not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Sad news confirmed now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

It has been a terrible year for raallying in general this year. Some serious questions need to be asked on how to improve the sport going forward to prevent accidents like this. As an avid rally photographer I now think twice before going to events.

Although now isn't the time for discussion, I feel the discussion needs to be had maybe over the winter.

It mightnt mean much but mine and I'm sure the whole of the rallying communities thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the poor lad and also to the brave volunteers whom attended today's tragic accident.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

IP freely wrote: »
    It has been a terrible year for raallying in general this year. Some serious questions need to be asked on how to improve the sport going forward to prevent accidents like this. As an avid rally photographer I now think twice before going to events.

Although now isn't the time for discussion, I feel the discussion needs to be had maybe over the winter.

It mightnt mean much but mine and I'm sure the whole of the rallying communities thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the poor lad and also to the brave volunteers whom attended today's tragic accident.

:(

Why do you think twice about going to events?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Its been a poor couple of years for rallying. So many deaths or close shaves that i cant remember having a period of time as bad as this as been. In saying that, this was a freak accident. All the planning in the world could be done and accidents will still happen, its a dangerous sport and you cant plan for every eventuality.

I feel the problem we have in this country is there are too many rallies that all require experienced marshals and that demands too much from these volunteers. Theres only so many rallies that each can attend and with so many rallies they are thin on the ground. We rely on rounding up people to don a bib on a sunday morning but what training do they generally have. Do they know what to do if theres a serious crash at their junction, do they know how to manage a situation where some spectators wont move, do they know how to stop a stage etc. Almost all major junctions will have a head marshal but Im talking about the smaller places that still need to be marshalled and controlled. The experienced guys are so thin on the ground you will end up with someone with not so experience left on there own. And I speak from experience here.

Dont get me wrong, I think its great that we have people to turn up on a Sunday and do there bit for the sport, but what we need to see happening is more marshal training courses by Motorsport Ireland. Even online courses to show what to do in certain situations would be great. Anyone looking to renew their licence for the following year must show they marshalled X number of events the previous year. Who better to know the dangers of the sport than the drivers themselves. You cant, and will never be able to stop every accident from happening but at least if each marshal has the experience to handle a situation its a great way to avoid incidents/injuries/deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Hi all,
    Just thought i'd share a link to a new Marshals club that i'm a Founding member of based in Wexford but consisting of members from all across the Southeast.
    We consist of many different levels of marshals and officials as well as having many competitors in our group.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Five-Countys-Marshals-Club/569150469773653?ref=bookmarks#!/pages/Five-Countys-Marshals-Club/569150469773653?fref=ts

We are the only Motorsport Ireland affiliated Marshals Club in the Country, we are always looking for new members and we cover events from Kerry/Cork to as far as Donegal and most Rallies inbetween !

Especially in light of the many tragic losses suffered by the Rallying community recently we are trying our best to improve safety at events all the while safeguarding the future of the sport .
    We have provided over 560 marshals to clubs all across the island so far this year and we plan to do much more in 2015.

If ANY of ye are interested in getting involved please feel free to contact the club for further info, we pride ourselves on being friendly and accomodating to any person regardless their experience level etc.

Ps on a personal level- the future of the sport is in huge jeprody due to the tragic events of the last few years, if you love rallying and want to see it flourish into the future then please get involved and help out in any way you can, i believe we do rallying better than most nations and i'd hate to see it disappear.

So ,whether you are a current competitor or you have plans on taking the sport up in the future, now is the time your needed most!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hirvonen to retire. It struck me this morning that he's been the Jimmy White of the WRC and missing out in 2009 basically broke him.

As the driver market stands:

VW: Ogier, Latvala, Mikkelsen
    Hyundai: Neuville, Sordo (calendar TBC)
    Hyundai 2: probably Paddon, ???
    Ford: probably Evans, ???
    Citroen: probably Meeke, ???

Tanak, Hanninen, Chardonnet and Ostberg should all be in the mix for what remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Robbo wrote: »
    Hirvonen to retire. It struck me this morning that he's been the Jimmy White of the WRC and missing out in 2009 basically broke him.

Tanak, Hanninen, Chardonnet and Ostberg should all be in the mix for what remains.

Hirvonen was always a favourite driver of mine. The team of him and Gronholm in 2006 and 2007 was a fantastic team. Was unlucky not to win the championship in 2009 but just lacked that final bit of pace to beat Loeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mad Bull

Would Breen or Lappi be in the mix?

barney 20v wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just thought i'd share a link to a new Marshals club that i'm a Founding member of based in Wexford but consisting of members from all across the Southeast.
    We consist of many different levels of marshals and officials as well as having many competitors in our group.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Five-Countys-Marshals-Club/569150469773653?ref=bookmarks#!/pages/Five-Countys-Marshals-Club/569150469773653?fref=ts

We are the only Motorsport Ireland affiliated Marshals Club in the Country, we are always looking for new members and we cover events from Kerry/Cork to as far as Donegal and most Rallies inbetween !

Especially in light of the many tragic losses suffered by the Rallying community recently we are trying our best to improve safety at events all the while safeguarding the future of the sport .
    We have provided over 560 marshals to clubs all across the island so far this year and we plan to do much more in 2015.

If ANY of ye are interested in getting involved please feel free to contact the club for further info, we pride ourselves on being friendly and accomodating to any person regardless their experience level etc.

Ps on a personal level- the future of the sport is in huge jeprody due to the tragic events of the last few years, if you love rallying and want to see it flourish into the future then please get involved and help out in any way you can, i believe we do rallying better than most nations and i'd hate to see it disappear.

So ,whether you are a current competitor or you have plans on taking the sport up in the future, now is the time your needed most!

Any twitter page, not on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Shame to see Hirvonen retire at a relatively young age. As mentioned he was unlucky to have peaked during the Loeb era. Still, he can be proud of his contribution to rallying and had a solid WRC career by any standards.

Might be back after a year id say

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hunting001

Would be good to see breen in a wrc car but might be a year or two before we do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Leave another year in the ERC before getting into the WRC hes still young. They peak too early these days.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Leave another year in the ERC before getting into the WRC hes still young. They peak too early these days.

Definitely, though I don't think he has a deal secured for the ERC either. Hopefully he will sort something out. He had very hard luck this year, if the car was more reliable he and Abbring would have had a very good fight for the title. He is a quick driver and is getting quicker. Let's hope he gets a decent drive next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ogier won the last round of the WRC in Wales today. Delighted to see Hirvonen get second place on his final full time rally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

irally saying Meeke confirmed with Citroen for 2015.

mjhickeyie wrote: »
    irally saying Meeke confirmed with Citroen for 2015.

excellent news

http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00007714&10

Tanak confirmed at M-Sport, sooo...

Hyundai 2: ???
    Ford: Evans, Tanak
    Citroen: Meeke, ???

Paddon's apparently been talking around and Kubica could be a fairly key player if he decides to stick around.

Tanak confirmed at M-Sport, sooo...

Hyundai 2: ???
    Ford: Evans, Tanak
    Citroen: Meeke, ???

Paddon's apparently been talking around and Kubica could be a fairly key player if he decides to stick around.

If Ostberg doesn't get the second Citroen seat he could be very quite next year.

I think I also read somewhere that Yves Matton said they will have a third car for Al-Qassimi on a few events in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Well he does pay the bills so only right

A bit of WRC news so I said I'd atart a new thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93169526#post93169526

Advertisement