Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vettel to leave Red Bull Racing and linked to Ferrari

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Myrddin wrote: »
    80 million? Jeez, that's a 4/5 year deal I assume?

Nope. Per year.

:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Daniel S wrote: »
    Nope. Per year.

:eek::D

Get out :eek: Sure Alonso was the top earner at €30m per season wasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Myrddin wrote: »
    Get out :eek: Sure Alonso was the top earner at €30m per season wasn't he?

He was.
    Famously, Vettel is one of those rare drivers who negotiates his own deals without the help of a manager.

"I have a head and a brain," the 27-year-old smiled on Saturday after his shock Red Bull exit was announced.

Incredibly, British newspapers claim Vettel's new Ferrari deal - which is yet to be announced - could be worth up to an astonishing $80 million per year, making him easily the highest paid driver in F1.

How has he managed to negotiate that himself?

"I'm not completely alone," Vettel is quoted by Kleine Zeitung newspaper. "I have a friend who I consult with a little and a lawyer but I think I am old enough."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Christ almighty, that's some bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

With a deal like that, looks like after he finishes driving he'll be in demand for being a driver manager!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

That figure must include commercial deals and image rights and add ons and so on. Surely his basic must be closer to half that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I was really surprised by the news, but it makes sense for Vettel for a good few reasons.

He is following in the footsteps of his idol. Many people said that he needed to get out of his comfort zone and win a championship with another team. If he can beat Kimi, a bone fide world champion (presumably, his team mate for next season), it'll be considered a success for next season.

Beyond that, if he can build Ferrari up to be title contenders over the next few seasons (with his work ethic, its entirely possible) and win a championship, that will dispel any doubts about his ability. He has the time to do that. I doubt he would have gone there without some assurances over their future performance. (What is Ross Brawn doing in 2015 and beyond?).

It also helps a bit with his popularity. As Ferrari is unquestionably the bigger brand and most supported team, it can help to turn him from a pantomime villain into someone with a lot of support as the possible #1 driver of the biggest team on the grid.

He also probably sees that Newey is taking a back seat, Rocky is moving to a more senior role, and Prodromou has left for McLaren. He may think that Red Bull will not be as competitive in the future after the changes.

I guess it was a case of "now or never", and everything seemed to line up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

2014 Driver Wages (Source - http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207581/1/f1-2014-driver-salaries-published-but-who-earns-most.html)

Drivers:

1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari €22m
    = Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari €22m
    =Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing €22m
    4. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes €20m
    5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes €16m
    6. Nico Rosberg Mercedes €12m
    7. Felipe Massa Williams €4m
    = Nico Hulkenberg Force India F1 €4m
    9. Romain Grosjean Lotus F1 Team €3m
    = Pastor Maldonado Lotus F1 Team €3m
    = Sergio Perez Force India F1 €3m
    12. Adrian Sutil Sauber €2m
    13. Kevin Magnuseen McLaren-Mercedes €1m
    = Valtteri Bottas Williams €1m
    15. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing €750,000
    = Jean-Eric Vergne Scuderia Toro Rosso €750,000
    17. Jules Bianchi Marussia €500,000
    18. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber €400,000
    19. Daniil Kvyat Scuderia Toro Rosso €250,000
    20. Max Chilton Marussia €200,000
    21. Marcus Ericsson Caterham F1 €150,000
    = Kamui Kobayshi Caterham F1 €150,000

No way Ferrari are forking out that kind of money to someone who has admitted several times he wants to race there. I'd say €20-€25M tops, and the way Ricciardo has shown him up this year, not worth it IMO.

Bottas and Ricciardo was money well spent! Don't feel sorry for their low wage though, they get huge bonuses for points/podiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it's a bit redundant though isn't it if it doesn't show full package. As you say, huge bonuses for point could distort that hugely.

Still though, it's a HUGE difference over the field where it should really be reasonably similar if there are only 22 top flight drivers in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looking at those wages, I'm surprised by buttons wage. It's big, probably too big and despite the good job he is doing, he would need Honda begging for him and putting up the money in order for his cost to be justified.
    I guess he is a big name and that has a commercial value all of its own but still, it's alot of cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

mickdw wrote: »
    Looking at those wages, I'm surprised by buttons wage. It's big, probably too big and despite the good job he is doing, he would need Honda begging for him and putting up the money in order for his cost to be justified.
    I guess he is a big name and that has a commercial value all of its own but still, it's alot of cash.

I think he probably arranged that deal just after winning the title with Brawn, and had an extension in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

it's a bit redundant though isn't it if it doesn't show full package. As you say, huge bonuses for point could distort that hugely.

Still though, it's a HUGE difference over the field where it should really be reasonably similar if there are only 22 top flight drivers in the world.

I don't agree that it should be reasonably similar. In all sports there is a world of difference between the top and the 'nearly top'. Look at the premiership, golf, tennis, the top players are paid way more. You don't even have to be at the top to be the big earner, you just have to be the biggest draw. I read recently that Valentino Rossi still earns more per year than the rest of the grid combined.

Didn't Kimi earn something like €16M in bonuses last year with Lotus and that's what got them in so much financial bother? Rosberg mentioned on Sunday that there was a nice bonus for everyone in the team for winning the constructors title. Then there's also sponsorship bonuses. Santander paid Alonso a lot of money when in Mclaren and he took them with him to Ferrari. I wonder will they move with him again or stay put with Ferrari?

I'd love to actually see a drivers contract to see all the different clauses and get out options, bonus structure, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Back on topic with Vettel: he's sitting out qualifying in Austin because he needs an engine change and would start from the pits anyway, he won't receive any technical upgrades for the remainder of the season, and he's not being released from Red Bull until five days after Abu Dhabi, so he can't drive for Ferrari in the post-season test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zcott wrote: »
    Back on topic with Vettel: he's sitting out qualifying in Austin because he needs an engine change and would start from the pits anyway.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    nobody except the fans suffer because of those stupid rules :mad:

Does he still not have to qualify to be in the race though? Other teams should be objecting to the outside 107% allowance if that's how they plan to be allowed race, it ****ing farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    nobody except the fans suffer because of those stupid rules :mad:

Does he still not have to qualify to be in the race though? Other teams should be objecting to the outside 107% allowance if that's how they plan to be allowed race, it ****ing farcical.

Once he runs in P1 and P2 and posts competitive times then he will be allowed to, I do believe as well that the FIA look at the over all competitiveness of the car from the season and testing as a gauge, so he will be allowed to race.

Advertisement