Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scopes and red dots for small bore pistol t and p 1

Options
  • 17-04-2016 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I was looking at Nasrpc course of fire for small bore pistol t and p 1 and under sights it says "any" so presumably pistol scopes and red dots (not laser) are allowed?

If so why don't more people use them, as presumably it would make target acquisition easier for practice 2 and 3?

I know on a pistol a magnified scope could be wobbly but what about red dots?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

I was looking at Nasrpc course of fire for small bore pistol t and p 1 and under sights it says "any" so presumably pistol scopes and red dots (not laser) are allowed?

If so why don't more people use them, as presumably it would make target acquisition easier for practice 2 and 3?

I know on a pistol a magnified scope could be wobbly but what about red dots?

Yes they are used as I have used them on my handgun (now sold). I found that I just could not see the best as I got older. I found them very good to use, the reflex type were best with the red dot on a small screen. Cheap enough to buy off eBay for about £25

You will be shooting in 'Open' class against ppl with sights on their handguns not against ppl with open sights.

IMG_1130.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MacsuibhneR

clivej wrote: »
    Yes they are used as I have used them on my handgun (now sold). I found that I just could not see the best as I got older. I found them very good to use, the reflex type were best with the red dot on a small screen. Cheap enough to buy off eBay for about £25

You will be shooting in 'Open' class against ppl with sights on their handguns not against ppl with open sights.

IMG_1130.jpg

Thanks for that. What is confusing me is that in grcf and grsb pretty much everyone shoots with an optic but not in the pistol competitions and I am wondering why not.

Thanks for that. What is confusing me is that in grcf and grsb pretty much everyone shoots with an optic but not in the pistol competitions and I am wondering why not.

A couple of reasons come to mind.
    Not all handguns have a rail to fit a sight on.
    Tradition 'Only a wus' will use a sight on a handgun
    Handguns don't come with an optic sight

Now in my case it put the 'fun' back into shooting, I could 'see' the red dot and the target, and therefore I could get better groups on target.

clivej wrote: »
    A couple of reasons come to mind.
    Not all handguns have a rail to fit a sight on.
    Tradition 'Only a wus' will use a sight on a handgun
    Handguns don't come with an optic sight

Now in my case it put the 'fun' back into shooting, I could 'see' the red dot and the target, and therefore I could get better groups on target.

Thanks again, the only reason I ask is because I am upgrading my pistol to a new ruger mkiii hunter target model and with it comes a rail that can be attached. A Google shows that pretty much all competitive shooters in the US have some type of red dot on them and needing all the help I can get I was thinking of doing the same, but there would be no real point if there are no competitions for it.

To put it in context I have shot a few local grcf competitions with my iron sighted Rossi but am now scoping it to become more competitive (high score with irons is 296 and i really want to give hitting 300 a go this year) and am thinking why not do the same for the pistol. The rules for sights for both disciplines seems to be the same, but as a said on the firing line pretty much all pistols I have seen are iron sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Thanks again, the only reason I ask is because I am upgrading my pistol to a new ruger mkiii hunter target model and with it comes a rail that can be attached. A Google shows that pretty much all competitive shooters in the US have some type of red dot on them and needing all the help I can get I was thinking of doing the same, but there would be no real point if there are no competitions for it.

To put it in context I have shot a few local grcf competitions with my iron sighted Rossi but am now scoping it to become more competitive (high score with irons is 296 and i really want to give hitting 300 a go this year) and am thinking why not do the same for the pistol. The rules for sights for both disciplines seems to be the same, but as a said on the firing line pretty much all pistols I have seen are iron sights.

I must put the red dot back on my pistol and start shooting with it again. The more people who turn up and shoot with them the better.

• Advertisement

You will shoot along side everyone else in T&P1, Multi, GP40 but your score is in the 'Open' comp. class.

Get one of the type I put on my AW93 and give it a go, cheap off eBay.

For your Rossi you'll need a pistol scope cos they top eject, they have a longer eye relief. But I see lads in the UK fitting a case deflector above the ejection port so they can use a rifle scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I too have eye issues (astigmatism, and a slight defect in right eye).
    I found it extremely difficult to focus on the front sight and 'gauge the target in the back ground.

So I wondered if a red dot would be any use to me. At the start I had a GSG 1911, with a rail mount. I got a TRS25 by Bushnell ( a tube type red dot). I felt it was an improvement - though it was pretty hard to judge as the GSG is not the best pistol to use for precision shooting..but that's another debate - loved it as a pistol, but just not as a target gun....

Anyway I decided to change and decided that I'd get a proper red dot (the bushnells cost me about 100euro on ebay - from the US.

I got a Hammerli xesse. as a reasonably priced, but good enough for competition shooter :-)

I had been looking for a while and decided on a reasonable compromise on the Docter C (http://www.docter-germany.de/en/products/prod/cat/reflex-sights/prod/doctersight-c.html)
    Plus a mount to go on the 11mm top of the barrel surround (just in front of the pistols slide).
    Not a cheap combination I can tell you. I did go into it in detail and found from research that the cheap air-soft ones will work, but the parts are not up to the abuse of full recoil. instead of metal there are plastic bits that will break or flex. So the cheap option was a problem.
    I happen to have a few hundred spare for the Docter (the cheaper end of their red dots).

As I mentioned previously - my eye sight- I am also left eye dominant (as the defect in my right eye provokes) but right handed - can't shoot lefty.
    So the red dot solved a lot of issues for me. you can (but I usually don't) keep both eyes open. as you are focusing on the red dot reflector screen (on the reflex sights like the Docter) is brings the target into better focus - so what your covering you hit (with due regard to trigger pull movement etc).

I feel I shoot way better with the red dot but would recommend spending as much as possible on the red dot - not a cheap one.

Oh I also learned that everyone's eye is different (even your own left and right eye. the red dot may appear misshapen or have a funny shape or have some other 'look' that makes you think its not a great dot. I'm told this is actually the viewers eye doing htis - BUT the more expensive the sight the less it will be an issue. I believe this is true. I tried it on a cheaper one and there was a difference between my left and my right eye.

for what its worth...

Thanks for all the info. I am putting a long eye relief pistol scope on the Rossi and will experiment with that on the pistol. After reading the comments above I think I will initially get a cheaper reflex/holographic type sight as well and see how it goes in open comps. The good thing is that they can be removed quickly for ordinary comps.

Once again thanks for the above comments.

dc99 wrote: »
    I too have eye issues (astigmatism, and a slight defect in right eye).
    I found it extremely difficult to focus on the front sight and 'gauge the target in the back ground.

So I wondered if a red dot would be any use to me. At the start I had a GSG 1911, with a rail mount. I got a TRS25 by Bushnell ( a tube type red dot). I felt it was an improvement - though it was pretty hard to judge as the GSG is not the best pistol to use for precision shooting..but that's another debate - loved it as a pistol, but just not as a target gun....

Anyway I decided to change and decided that I'd get a proper red dot (the bushnells cost me about 100euro on ebay - from the US.

I got a Hammerli xesse. as a reasonably priced, but good enough for competition shooter :-)

I had been looking for a while and decided on a reasonable compromise on the Docter C (http://www.docter-germany.de/en/products/prod/cat/reflex-sights/prod/doctersight-c.html)
    Plus a mount to go on the 11mm top of the barrel surround (just in front of the pistols slide).
    Not a cheap combination I can tell you. I did go into it in detail and found from research that the cheap air-soft ones will work, but the parts are not up to the abuse of full recoil. instead of metal there are plastic bits that will break or flex. So the cheap option was a problem.
    I happen to have a few hundred spare for the Docter (the cheaper end of their red dots).

As I mentioned previously - my eye sight- I am also left eye dominant (as the defect in my right eye provokes) but right handed - can't shoot lefty.
    So the red dot solved a lot of issues for me. you can (but I usually don't) keep both eyes open. as you are focusing on the red dot reflector screen (on the reflex sights like the Docter) is brings the target into better focus - so what your covering you hit (with due regard to trigger pull movement etc).

I feel I shoot way better with the red dot but would recommend spending as much as possible on the red dot - not a cheap one.

Oh I also learned that everyone's eye is different (even your own left and right eye. the red dot may appear misshapen or have a funny shape or have some other 'look' that makes you think its not a great dot. I'm told this is actually the viewers eye doing htis - BUT the more expensive the sight the less it will be an issue. I believe this is true. I tried it on a cheaper one and there was a difference between my left and my right eye.

for what its worth...

I shot my my comp. with a S&W model 41 fitted with a Doctor red dot, a great setup, and also got my first 1st place HH medal in the same event.
    If you have the dosh then spend away.

Another cheap'o red dot is on my restricted pump action shotgun, used for Gallery shooting. Many slugs have gone through it, including 3" magnums, and it never missed a beat, still as good as the day it went on a couple of years ago. They are made of metal.

383671.jpg

383672.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Have a look at the Vortex Sparc ii. 2moa red dot with weaver mount included. Costs about 200 ish from Germany if you can't find one here.

• Advertisement

love the socks Clivej...LOL

photo of my little puppy
    Xesse IPSC with Nills grips (brilliant) and a Docter C Red dot.

is the picture accessible?

dc99 wrote: »
    photo of my little puppy
    Xesse IPSC with Nills grips (brilliant) and a Docter C Red dot.

Looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Had your old pistol in my hand the other day CliveJ

Advertisement