Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Crap: asthma, sinuses, morning sickness and headac

Options
  • 29-01-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and visiting the states at the moment. I have my first scan in 3 weeks when I return to Ireland.

Since arriving my asthma has been playing up due to the climate change and getting used to the air con. I went to a local clinic after a bad attach and the doctor told me there was nothing wrong with me, that she couldn't do anything for me and that I had paid too much for the visit. She made me feel like a hypochondriac. The only nice thing she did was refund me for my waisted visit. She also said she didnt know if I should be taking ventolin as its a class c drug but when I rang my doctor at home she reassured me it was fine.

My asthma is calming down a bit now or at least I've learnt to manage it but my sinuses, morning sickness (or should I say all day sickness) and headaches have all gotten worse in the last week. Before I had nausia but only got sick maybe once or twice a week. Now its every day or even all day. The only thing I seem to be able to keep down is toast and tea. Is this normal???? Does morning sickness get worse before it gets better? I'd go to the doctor again but to be honest I think I'd be turned away again. I feel like they don't want to deal with a pregnant woman with no american insurance.

I just feel like crap and so frustrated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Your HCG levels will be peaking around now, and since this is the hormose at the heart of your problems, it could be why your nausea and vomitting has gotten worse. The change in weather/climate/air quality/time could also be playing havoc with everything too!

On the bright side, apparently the sicker you are during a pregnancy, the healthier your pregnancy is supposed to be. Some people suffer with the nausea and vomitting for the whole pregnancy, others don't.

Ginger is great for morning sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dangerd

Thanks Crazy Cat Lady,

That's put me a bit at ease. So there is a chance I could feel better soon. I just hope to god this doesn't last through the whole pregnancy but I guess only time will tell.

I've been living on anything made of ginger for the past few weeks. This baby will be made of ginger at the rate I'm eating it. It did work at the start but I'm finding it less helpful as the sickness gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

dangerd wrote: »

I've been living on anything made of ginger for the past few weeks. This baby will be made of ginger at the rate I'm eating it.

Well in that case my little girl should've come out made of cake :D

Hope you feel better soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

At 22 weeks I'm still getting sick daily and suffering with the sinus'/nose bleeds/ migraines. I've also had to take ventolin a couple of times when I've been having breathing problems in hospital (even though I've never been asthmatic before) and the consultants have all assured me that it's no problem for the baby. I hope you feel better soon. it's so hard to enjoy the excitement of pregnancy when you feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dangerd

22 weeks. God you poor thing. I'm just praying this lifts in the next few weeks. I'm so happy your consultant said ventoline is safe. The doctor over here had a completely different view on it. I was so worried afterwards.

I think I'm beginning to manage the sickness and headaches now. I get two very bad days and two ok days. If I do too much then I'm guaranteed a bad day the following day. I found these dried ginger chews which are far better then the ginger snaps. Plus you don't have to worry too much about the extra sugar. Sleep is the only thing that clears the headache plus my diet is down to basics. the plainer the better which is a shame when your away. Hope this helps someone else in the same position.

I was moaning to a friend the other day and she said, trying to be helpful, look try and relax and forget about it and enjoy being pregnant. I think I said the very same thing to her honeymonster. Thanks for the advice. I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Hi there,
    Im also pregnant and have been asthmatic since I was a child.
    Doctor assured me that Ventolin was fine during pregnancy.
    I had been prescribed another preventer inhaler to take along with the ventolin but I had stopped taking it myself long before I became pregnant. My GP did say she would not have been happy with me taking the preventor during pregnancy. She did say that if I found I was needing the ventolin more during pregnancy that she would think about putting me on a different preventor. Thankfully havent needed to take anything else!
    I did have migraines in the earlier part of my pregnancy, mainly between weeks 8 and 12! Havent had any since!
    Hopefully you will be feeling better soon!

Advertisement