Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 7: Pesto Chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Will the leftovers from this be ok to reheat tomorrow lunchtime?

Should be. Reheat it gently on the stove if you can though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Made this last week and it was delish. I made it with vermicelli pasta and it was good with it; sauce really got all up in it and ciabatta garlic bread.

I ended up adding a whole jar of pesto though because it seemed just a tad creamy... so looked like this:

pCtYil.jpg

I found a bit too garlicy though. I'll defo make it again but with half that amount of garlic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

pesto2.jpg

pesto1.jpg

Overall verdict...tasty, but a bit too creamy and the pesto suffered as it didn't really come through. I think I'll put in a good bit more next time. Will definitely be trying it again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm doing this tonight and have had my chicken marinating all night. There was an incredible garlicky smell in the kitchen during breakfast :D Woops...

Oh and I used red pesto - made with sun-dried tomatoes. I already had an open jar and pesto tends to be one of these things I desire only once every 6 months so I thought I'd use it up instead of buying a new one!

Oh yeah, that was fantastic! Very simple ingredients and didn't expect it to be so flavoursome but it was great. Baking the chicken made it really moist.

Chapeau Faith! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm making this tonight and I just have a few small (possibly silly :o) questions..

1. Can I use sour cream?
    2. Does it have to be corn flour or will plain flour do? Or are they the same thing?
    3. If I add mushrooms will I need to up the quantities on the cream etc?

Cheers :)

xzanti wrote: »
    I'm making this tonight and I just have a few small (possibly silly :o) questions..

1. Can I use sour cream?
    2. Does it have to be corn flour or will plain flour do? Or are they the same thing?
    3. If I add mushrooms will I need to up the quantities on the cream etc?

Cheers :)

1. I guess you could use sour cream, or creme fraiche. It wouldn't need the flour then though, as it already has a much thicker consistency. If you do use either, then let me know how they go!

2. Normal flour should be grand too.

3. You can use the same volume of cream if you add mushrooms. They don't make much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

This looks stunning and I might try it over the weekend - but could I use cream cheese (like philadelphia) instead of\or with the cream?

trustno1 wrote: »
    This looks stunning and I might try it over the weekend - but could I use cream cheese (like philadelphia) instead of\or with the cream?

Hmm. I never cook with cream cheese so I really don't know if it would be suitable. You could melt some in the cream for flavour, yeah, but I really don't know if it's suitable to use instead of cream, sorry!

That is some good eatin' :D.. I'd no camera to take a pic but it looked as good as it tasted, the OH cleaned the pot, even though there was enough there to feed 4.. I used normal double cream and penne pasta, I'm going to make it next time I have people over for dinner..

Thanks Faith :D

• Advertisement

I did this again for dinner last night and used way to much pesto and I ruined it.. smelled like vomit :( next time I won't be so enthusiastic with it.. was so much nicer the first time..

We live and learn..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Faith wrote: »
    1. I guess you could use sour cream, or creme fraiche. It wouldn't need the flour then though, as it already has a much thicker consistency. If you do use either, then let me know how they go!

2. Normal flour should be grand too.

3. You can use the same volume of cream if you add mushrooms. They don't make much difference.

I made mine with low fat creme fraiche and it didn't split. Turned out just fine.
    Faith wrote: »
    Hmm. I never cook with cream cheese so I really don't know if it would be suitable. You could melt some in the cream for flavour, yeah, but I really don't know if it's suitable to use instead of cream, sorry!

That would work too as it "melts".

Thank you, Faith. Nice recipe!

106850.JPG

To honour the occasion I made some bread with tapenade (black olive, olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar and sundried tomatoes) and mozzarella.

106849.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I only got around to making this on Monday and it was delicious! I added a bit more pesto and when I make it again (which I am on Saturday night for guests!) I'll add more pesto again. I just found the flavour of the cream a bit overpowering.

Big thumbs up though, looking forward to Saturday already!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

faith can I ask when it comes to the mushrooms do you put them in the mix the night before or do you add it when your cooking?

blahblah06 wrote: »
    faith can I ask when it comes to the mushrooms do you put them in the mix the night before or do you add it when your cooking?

I'd add them in just before cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Is there a particular brand/type of pesto to use in this recipe?

In my local supermarket, there are various types, and I don't know which is best to use (I've never made this before)

According to my mum, they had the following types/brands in there. Our local supermarkets are Dunnes Stores and Supervalu.

Salca (Green pesto sauce) - Wild Rocket / classic pesto /
    Filippo Berio Pesto Sauce (Green) - Classic Pesto
    De Cecco Pesto Alla Genovese
    Jamie Oliver - Green Pesto / Italian herb pesto

Thank you.

Is there a particular brand/type of pesto to use in this recipe?

In my local supermarket, there are various types, and I don't know which is best to use (I've never made this before)

According to my mum, they had the following types/brands in there. Our local supermarkets are Dunnes Stores and Supervalu.

Salca (Green pesto sauce) - Wild Rocket / classic pesto /
    Filippo Berio Pesto Sauce (Green) - Classic Pesto
    De Cecco Pesto Alla Genovese
    Jamie Oliver - Green Pesto / Italian herb pesto

Thank you.

I used the fresh own-brand pesto in the fridge section in Dunnes this week and thought it was really tasty.

Malari wrote: »
    I used the fresh own-brand pesto in the fridge section in Dunnes this week and thought it was really tasty.
    Brilliant, thank you.

Hope they have it in my local Dunnes, they seem to be out of a lot of things lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

I love the jamie Oliver one!

Thank you.

I got the dunnes brand one so I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Have made this several times now and must say, I really enjoy it. I usually use less cream though, I prefer it that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Sorry for dragging up a 4.5 year old thread :D was having a gander through the archives over the weekend and had seen this recipe before and kept intending to make it. Finally got around to it tonight. My housemate and I are massive pesto fans, although I'm not usually a fan of creamy sauces, but it was clean plates and happy tummies all round. I did find it find it a little richer than I'd usually go for but still thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to stink tomorrow :pac:

Thanks Faith :)

Oh, that looks very satisfying! Nice work!

Don't worry about dragging up the thread; there's no such thing as zombie threads in this forum :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Sorry for dragging this one up but I made it tonight for dinner and it was absolutely fab!! So easy to make but so delicious. We'll definitely be having this again !

ChewChew wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging this one up but I made it tonight for dinner and it was absolutely fab!! So easy to make but so delicious. We'll definitely be having this again !

Glad you enjoyed it! I actually havent made it myself in a long time, so this bump is a nice reminder to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Cooked this tonight for the second time. Was fab. I added a red chilli and broccoli to the oven mix to replicate a favourite from my local Italian and the OH said this was far nicer! Went down an absolute treat and there's plenty for lunch tomorrow! Tried to upload a pic but couldn't figure it out.

Oh, interesting additions!

Advertisement