Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Reg laws around yellow plates & IRL badge

Options
  • 04-04-2014 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

They're illegal but why would you want to change them in the first place? You'll only draw more attention to yourself as the UK police know what an Irish registration plate is supposed to look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A rear yellow Irish plate is completely illegal in the RoI. There is no requirement to have one in the UK in your are a RoI registered car, in fact it wouldn't matter if your plate was purple as your foreign registered car so the police won't care. Why do you have one in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Patww79 wrote: »
    For travelling up to the UK, I was wondering what the laws are around having a yellow rear plate and no IRL symbol on it? I've seen them about but I don't know if they're completely legal, as I don't want to swap them each time I'm crossing the border. Is there special dispensation if you can prove you're going to travel there?

The lack of the IRL on the plate will mean that you have to put the stupid IRL sticker on your car. The yellow plates might be illegal in the UK on an Irish car, IIRC you have to be road legal for your own country to be road legal in another EU country. But the wrong colour place and lack of IRL being displayed will make the Police have a 2nd look at you and unlike our law enforcement officers most other police forces like pulling and fining foreigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Del2005 wrote: »
    unlike our law enforcement officers most other police forces like pulling and fining foreigners.
    What's with that anyway, I got stopped under the terrorism act. Then after they unfruitfully searched my car they checked the tire thread depth - because maybe I was going to suicide-skid into a building?

OP I believe that the only way to be sure is to replace your (presumably vanity) plate with one that is legal in RoI. After that, there's no need to change your plates unless you move country.

EDIT, see your post just now. That's clever, but I don't think the police will care.

• Advertisement

05 DL 12345

as opposed to:

W238 WK

Its pretty obvious the difference to be honest. And maybe its just me, but I find English reg'd cars are generally a much higher trim and looked after, so I can usually spot an Irish car before I ever see a plate.

If your genuinely serious about trying to hide, I'd just buy an English car because it won't fool anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Have you actually driven up the north or do you think it's still 1976? I'm up there at least once a month and have never had any issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

BMJD wrote: »
    Have you actually driven up the north or do you think it's still 1976? I'm up there at least once a month and have never had any issues
    Don't get me wrong, we've progressed a lot.
    But I still hear stories of friends southern reg cars being dented and lightly damaged by young thugs in the areas. Only just 2 weeks ago it happened to someone I know, they just kicked the wing of the car and made a sizable dent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Drive through there frequently enough and it hasn't been a problem yet.

Fair enough but I think your absolutely kidding yourself. The reg just looks too different. It starts with numbers for a start and generally has dashes between the spaces. From the front, it will be obvious. And anyone looking to cause some hassle will probably be far more clued in and notice the 'odd' looking rear plate. Remember, the eye is attracted to the unusual and different.

As regards damage or aggression, never seen it myself and just be careful where you park. Anyone I have heard of having problems was from pure stupidity i.e. On street or open car park in a known area. If it is such a concern where you are going to park, like I said, probably a better idea to buy a NI registered car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

ironclaw wrote: »
    .... probably a better idea to buy a NI registered car.
    Or just hire a car if its only for a day or two.

But its up to you, if you want to go to the trouble of it and it helps you feel safer, go for it.
    I've travelled quite a bit up to the north over the years in all sorts of vehicles and with white IRL plates, left them parked for hours in different areas day and night and never ever had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

ah ye thugs with your MEXICAN plates!

My experience of driving around Belfast with Southern plates... nobody notices. The knacks don't look at plates let alone know what they mean.

I wager that most of the northern knackers don't even know the difference between a southern plate, a german plate, adutch plate, french, etc...

As long as you don't have 'tricolours' flying from the windows you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

:confused: Your worried about going north with yellow plates, yet have no such worries about driving in the south with illegal plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rufio777

youll be fine, do be up there almost every weekend for the past few years. Just leave the celtic jersey at home :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your car will have Irish tax disc, Irish NCT disc and possibly NCT disc and a number plate with different formatting than any plate anywhere up there, it will stand out no matter what. In my experience up there if you park in a dump of an area your car can get attacked the very same as leaving it in any scumbag area down South, just take basic precautions park in a well lit area and if the area is generally run down it's a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It definitely not legal here, no doubt about it, by law ROI plates must be white. You'll probably be deemed illegal in NI too since your plates are not legal here (in the same way as you can be fined for driving in NI with expired ROI motor tax). However judging by the number of yellow ROI plates I've seen around none of that seems to deter some drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I've mentioned this a few times already on boards, but it have driven a Dublin-reg car on the Shankill Road in Belfast and had to stop whilst the road was temporarily closed to allow an a Orange march to pass. No problems, not even a dirty look!

I wouldn't go to the trouble. If you're really worried, get something which clips over the plates when the car is parked only.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Yellow Irish plates= Knacker felt plates. I dont see the attraction. Another sheep mod and usual on a toledo that BOOOHs. It is illegal and is against the rules of proper modifying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Yellow Irish plates= Knacker felt plates. I dont see the attraction. Another sheep mod and usual on a toledo that BOOOHs. It is illegal and is against the rules of proper modifying.

+1 yellow reg plates are strictly for queers.

Richard wrote: »
    I've mentioned this a few times already on boards, but it have driven a Dublin-reg car on the Shankill Road in Belfast and had to stop whilst the road was temporarily closed to allow an a Orange march to pass. No problems, not even a dirty look!.

Friend of mine from NI says the same thing. You get pockets of thuggery but thats everywhere in this world. His number one piece of advice is whatever the protest or march, just agree. Big smile and thumbs up (In a sincere manner) and then GTFO as soon as you can :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

ironclaw wrote: »
    His number one piece of advice is whatever the protest or march, just agree. Big smile and thumbs up (In a sincere manner) and then GTFO as soon as you can :pac:
    Get out of the car and start doing a gig to the music that they kindly provide. They love that and will play even louder to encourage it.

No Pants wrote: »
    Get out of the car and start doing a gig to the music that they kindly provide. They love that and will play even louder to encourage it.

Usually leave the dancing shoes at home in preference of a set of runners :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Parked my cars in various parts of Derry (City and County), Tyrone, Fermanagh, and Belfast, never had a problem. Just use your common sence and avoid any area that you think looks remotely dodgy.

Have to ask OP, at what point were you proposing to change the plates, before you leave your ROI address, in a car park on the way, on the Boarder, or at your destination? How ever and when you change the plates, its going to arrise possible suspicions, and be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Last time I parked in Belfast I had a look around the car park and probably a third of the cars in it were from the South. Maybe Im being naive, but I really dont see the issue.

Advertisement