Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abandoned Car

• 17-03-2009 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

There is an old Citreon parked in the underground carpark of my apartment block and has clearly been left there for quite some time, its filthy dirty and appears to have no discs displayed on it. But its also a beauty classic car and wondered firstly how you can go about finding if it has been abandoned and if so, can it be claimed somehow?? Thanks in advance for any advice..;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Go on, tell us what model it is!!! No idea what the procedure for claiming is but chances are a resident could be keeping it stored there for a multitude reasons;

To wait for it's 30th birthday, cheap tax.
    No money to restore it/awaiting restoration.
    Accumulating value.

How old is it?

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

A quick google of it turned up a previous similar case here on boards
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231630

They seem to say contact your council, they will crush it, guards say if its not reported stolen then its all ok. Not entirely sure TBH.

Id say it depends on how much effort you put into claiming it, whether you'll get it or not. (assuming its abandoned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

its 35 years old.....and if they were just storing it there would they not at least wash it once in awhile!!...Its caked in dust and dirt.

well dont want it crushed, we want to own it if we can!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Is it not technically the landlords/developers problem unless they push it out onto the public road?

The Gardai do not want it nor do the council.

The Gardai normally keep things for months then auction them off. Tell them you will keep it for those months and then keep it instead of them having to trouble themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tell us what model it is!

well have just sent an email to the NCPS (national car parking sureveillance) to see if they know anything about it. Have just also done a history check on it and it was bought by someone in 2000 but has not been taxed or NCT'd since 2004!

landyman wrote: »
    Tell us what model it is!

Citreon SM

Cant imagine why one of those is just left there. There the ones with the masserati engine right?

yep!

• Advertisement

Thats a shame that its just left there.....

Not if i can help it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Apartment car parks are private so nothing to do with Gardai or council. An old classic would not be abandoned. The owner might not have the money to fix it up for now. The car park space is owned by someone too. Sometimes you see 3 or 4 yr old cars covered in dust sitting in an underground for a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wimples

I presume you have checked, or will check, with the management company or the person looks after the car park before you try to claim property as your own? Only you haven't mentioned it. Or put a note on the car, or put up some posters around the carpark and in the apartment blocks.
    This has happened me before and it's really fncking annoying. I live in the city and have 1 space allocated to me, but have 3 cars, 1 modern that I use regularly, and 2 others which I drive very rarely (1 vintage and 1 summer car). The other 2 cars are housed in rented spaces in other apartment blocks around the city. The batteries are disconnected so I don't need to go and start them very often, only when I want to drive them. I bring them out every few months and wash them when I bring them out. You would be surprised how dirty they get even after a month in an underground car park. Last year some pr1ck had my vintage towed cos he thought it had been abandoned, even though it was in an allocated space, and it was causing no obstruction to anyone. The only crime it had committed was not being driven regularly and being a bit dirty, but hardly an eye sore in an underground car park. Cost me a fortune to get it back and to top it off it was damaged in the process which I was never able to claim on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Perhaps the OP should mine his own business. Unless it is obstructing you it is none of your concern.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP should mine his own business. Unless it is obstructing you it is none of your concern.

Perhaps you should only offer valid comments on someone elses thread......im interested because its a gorgeous car!!

Oh and im a GIRL!!

It is still not your property. Someone obviously owns it. I doubt it is abandoned. As said unless it is obstructing you it is really none of your concern.

i know its not my property i was just curious about it as it would be a shame if it was abandoned......if you have nothing useful to say then say nothing!

I am just stating you cannot simply take it and that it is owned by someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭pcardin

wimples wrote: »
    I presume you have checked, or will check, with the management company or the person looks after the car park before you try to claim property as your own? Only you haven't mentioned it. Or put a note on the car, or put up some posters around the carpark and in the apartment blocks.
    This has happened me before and it's really fncking annoying. I live in the city and have 1 space allocated to me, but have 3 cars, 1 modern that I use regularly, and 2 others which I drive very rarely (1 vintage and 1 summer car). The other 2 cars are housed in rented spaces in other apartment blocks around the city. The batteries are disconnected so I don't need to go and start them very often, only when I want to drive them. I bring them out every few months and wash them when I bring them out. You would be surprised how dirty they get even after a month in an underground car park. Last year some pr1ck had my vintage towed cos he thought it had been abandoned, even though it was in an allocated space, and it was causing no obstruction to anyone. The only crime it had committed was not being driven regularly and being a bit dirty, but hardly an eye sore in an underground car park. Cost me a fortune to get it back and to top it off it was damaged in the process which I was never able to claim on.
    Sorry to hear this. Hope you've beat his face for taking and damaging your property. OP please read this and remember before you jostle in someones pocket. I don't believe that car is abandoned. It is quite expensive. Better buy your own if you can find a good one and don't touch this. :cool:

• Advertisement

It is terrible when busy bodies with little to do interfere with your lawful business. :(

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I am just stating you cannot simply take it and that it is owned by someone else.

I never said i wanted to just take it......thats why i wanted to know the correct procedure to finding out if someone owns it or not. If someone owns it then fine, if not, then i would like to look after it........now stop taking up unneccessary space on my thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Jaysus, that's some cheek of the guy doing that.

It might be a good idea putting a sign in the window saying "This is not an abandoned car". I know that people who drive "rat-rods" usually have to do this otherwise their car will get towed. There's a fair few VW beetle "rat-rods" in the UK and I think one or two in Ireland. Usually they have a nice engine and gear underneath, just a rusty body.

Of course i would check first, like i said, i have already asked the car parking crowd about it. I am only curious because in our apartement complex you need a permit to park anywhere, we dont have allocated spaces and this car has no permit on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭pcardin

Bitsie wrote: »
    Of course i would check first, like i said, i have already asked the car parking crowd about it. I am only curious because in our apartement complex you need a permit to park anywhere, we dont have allocated spaces and this car has no permit on it.

Maybe they've build the house around the car? That's why it doesnt have any permits. Simply car was first there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Glenn Quagmire

It sickens me that someone can't store a classic car in peace without some person trying to steal it or have it towed.

If I was the owner I sure would not want someone like the OP nosing around trying to take my car away from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Now, everybody calm down please.

With a Citroen SM looking abandoned I too would get a bit hot under the collar and try to find out if it actually was abandoned, and if so, would there be a chance of me getting my grubby little hands on it.

That's all the OP is doing ...asking.

Keep it civil now please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well said Peasant. Just as well I read to the end of the thread before launching into a rant on a few jump-the-gun merchants :)

It sickens me that someone can't store a classic car in peace without some person trying to steal it or have it towed.

If I was the owner I sure would not want someone like the OP nosing around trying to take my car away from me.

This car is clearly not being taken car of and i was only asking the question...im not trying STEAL it or have it towed!! PLEASE READ MY POST BEFORE LAUNCHING USELESS COMMENTS AT ME!! :mad:

I swear some people just respond to other people's threads to have a go because they have nothing better to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bitsie wrote: »
    PLEASE READ MY POST BEFORE LAUNCHING USELESS COMMENTS AT ME!! :mad:

I swear some people just respond to other people's threads to have a go because they have nothing better to do.

tsk, tsk, tsk ...

This:
    peasant wrote: »
    Now, everybody calm down please.
    Keep it civil now please

applies to you too :D

pcardin wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this. Hope you've beat his face for taking and damaging your property. OP please read this and remember before you jostle in someones pocket. I don't believe that car is abandoned. It is quite expensive. Better buy your own if you can find a good one and don't touch this. :cool:

Will people please read what im asking before jumping down my throat....why on earth would i be looking to take a car from someone if it turns out not to be abandoned......that just stupid.....all i want to find out is how i find out if its abandoned or not!! If its not, then fine.............

Fair enough Peasant...sorry....just drives me mad when people have a go without good reason.......i only asked a question! but point taken.

Advertisement