Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 2006 opinions ?

• 15-12-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Audi A4 2.0 litre Diesel 2006 sportline - I have an option on one of these from a relative for 10k, brough new full spec, leather seats etc - Only put 40K miles on it-

Seems like a good deal ?

I have never owned a diesel or Audi so will this car need any major servicing or parts replacing in the next while - I will be doing 15k mile per year with it ?

I persume in general this is a reliable car and the MPG seems decent ?

Any other comments from owners or experts welcome - Thanks F

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

Bargain, good MPG should get about 55mpg.

Service cost same as all cars, expensive with main dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

brian2me wrote: »
    Bargain, good MPG should get about 55mpg.

Service cost same as all cars, expensive with main dealers.
    Thanks for reply

How many miles could I get out of it before i am living on borrowed time with it? Assuming I keep it regularly serviced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

Nice choice of a car so with the mileage on her now and the mileage u plan on doing in the next year.she shall be due I timing belt I would imagine .they are a great car but really important to keep it well serviced.also I do beleave there is a problem with the oil pump in that engine.and Audi are stating that it's down to people using the wrong oil.which of course is completely untrue as the service manager admitted to me one day that its actually a prob with the engine.now I'm not 100percent if its ur model engine mayb some one could confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Audi A4 2.0 litre Diesel 2006 sportline - I have an option on one of these from a relative for 10k, brough new full spec, leather seats etc - Only put 40K miles on it-

Seems like a good deal ?
    What kind of condition is it in? What sort of use has it had? Does it have a documented service history? If so, is it complete - ie is there an invoice for replacement of the cambelt, tensioners and water pump? I'm fairly sure they were due at 5 years. BTW, an Irish car should have km only clocks. Are you sure they bought it new here?

swhyte027 wrote: »
    Nice choice of a car so with the mileage on her now and the mileage u plan on doing in the next year.she shall be due I timing belt I would imagine .they are a great car but really important to keep it well serviced.also I do beleave there is a problem with the oil pump in that engine.and Audi are stating that it's down to people using the wrong oil.which of course is completely untrue as the service manager admitted to me one day that its actually a prob with the engine.now I'm not 100percent if its ur model engine mayb some one could confirm.

So timing belt is due at around 55k miles?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »

Seems like a good deal ?
    What kind of condition is it in? What sort of use has it had? Does it have a documented service history? If so, is it complete - ie is there an invoice for replacement of the cambelt, tensioners and water pump? I'm fairly sure they were due at 5 years. BTW, an Irish car should have km only clocks. Are you sure they bought it new here?
    Ya is genuinely in mint condition..use would have been local driving,short trips mainly...ya full service history I only had a quick look , didn't look for cambelt invoice etc but will check...sorry yes is in kms I just convert to miles for my own use..yes was defietly brought in Ireland new

It's most likely 5 years/100,000kms (62k miles) on that car, so it should have been done on the cars 5th birthday in 2011. Just so you're clear, time is every bit as important as mileage.
    Ya is genuinely in mint condition..use would have been local driving,short trips mainly...ya full service history I only had a quick look , didn't look for cambelt invoice etc but will check...sorry yes is in kms I just convert to miles for my own use..yes was defietly brought in Ireland new
    Go over the service history thoroughly, checking what should have been done against what actually was done. If you don't have invoices, give the servicing dealer a quick call to clarify. Short runs and inadequate servicing are a bad combination. Nobody's really pointed out any of the weak points of that particular engine yet, but I seem to remember that it had a few. Has the dual mass flywheel been changed yet (if it's a manual)? If not, that's most likely a pending expense.

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's most likely 5 years/100,000kms (62k miles) on that car, so it should have been done on the cars 5th birthday in 2011. Just so you're clear, time is every bit as important as mileage.
    Cool , not sure of it was done will have to check..if not how much will it cost to do?

Cool , not sure of it was done will have to check..if not how much will it cost to do?
    You'd really need to get quotes, but i'm going to guess €500 from a main dealer, €400 from a good independent. Not to scare you off altogether, but you might also want to have a read through this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056017414

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭markoire

Op, this might be worth a read. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/81997-2-0-tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-failure.html

I also considered a 2.0tdi s-line as an upgrade from my 1.9 but steered clear as I've heard too many horror stories!! The only 2 people I know with that model have had the oil pump issue and it cost them a fortune to fix. The BLB engine code seems to be the troublesome one. Definitely something to consider before you buy.

• Advertisement

markoire wrote: »
    Op, this might be worth a read. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/81997-2-0-tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-failure.html

I also considered a 2.0tdi s-line as an upgrade from my 1.9 but steered clear as I've heard too many horror stories!! The only 2 people I know with that model have had the oil pump issue and it cost them a fortune to fix. The BLB engine code seems to be the troublesome one. Definitely something to consider before you buy.
    Did I see correctly or does this issue only apply to 2005 models? My head is spinning from all the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 2.0 PD TDi engine also suffers from fuel injector failures, expensive to replace too. Also oil pump failures are common which can kill the engine. Afaik the 06 2.0 TDi also had a DPF which does not like short journeys, another potentially large bill.

Also 40k is very low mileage for an almost 6 year old diesel car, irrespective of mileage that car should have had an oil change at least once a year, I'd be looking for solid evidence of this via service history and/or receipts. Thing is, most people who do low mileage don't think that their cars need servicing as regularly as higher mileage drivers. Oil and oil filters need to be changed regularly on diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 2.0 PD TDi engine also suffers from fuel injector failures, expensive to replace too. Also oil pump failures are common which can kill the engine. Afaik the 06 2.0 TDi also had a DPF which does not like short journeys, another potentially large bill.

Also 40k is very low mileage for an almost 6 year old diesel car, irrespective of mileage that car should have had an oil change at least once a year, I'd be looking for solid evidence of this via service history and/or receipts. Thing is, most people who do low mileage don't think that their cars need servicing as regularly as higher mileage drivers. Oil and oil filters need to be changed regularly on diesels.

If its the 170 HP model it will definitley have injector trouble allthough VAG UK are doing a recall on affected models for UK cars. The mileage seems unbelievable but as you say the should have been serviced every year irrespective of mileage..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    bazz26 wrote: »

If its the 170 HP model it will definitley have injector trouble allthough VAG UK are doing a recall on affected models for UK cars. The mileage seems unbelievable but as you say the should have been serviced every year irrespective of mileage..

It's a BRE model if that's a help to any1?
    There was a letter from Audi about 'bearing clearance of drive gears on balance shaft assembly being reduced due to plastic deformation' that this had to be checked in 2009, dunno what that means?

Advertisement