Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acne

• 11-05-2007 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

which over the counter products would you say are the best and which are the worst?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved from PI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

With actual acne no over the counter treatments are very good, it's probably best just to wash your face with a soap free wash, use something like simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

A remedy I used for a good while when my acne was really bad (and wished I'd known about before I got scarring) is bread-soda and milk mask.

You buy bread soda, mix it with plain milk into a paste. Wash face. Apply for 20 minutes then wash off. Worked great for me.

These days because my acne's not as bad and Im lazy I use Nivea medium face cleanser for men and then nivea moisturiser for sensitive skin after. The medium helps clear out the dirt and grub and the moisturiser is so my skin doesnt dry out - drying out your skin isnt as great as many people say it is for acne imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Oh and whatever you do - dont buy clearasil or any of those harsh anti-acne chemicals.

I don't know what they're like these days but 7 or eight years back when I was in my teens that stuff was like putting f**cking bleach on your face.

You might get less acne the first day but your skin gets absolutely ruined - can be sore (doubly sore when the acne does come back regardless).

Oh and I agree with the poster who mentioned simple. Use a mild face cleanser (avoid "acne targetting" products imo) and perhaps a moisturiser (moisturiser doesnt work for everybody though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I find Quinoderm is very effective. But it's very harsh on your skin, and the milder 5% strength cream seems to be like golddust these days. (The only place I've been able to find it is Boots in the Applewood village Swords). The 10% stuff makes my skin dry and flaky, which is why I'd only use it if I got a bad outburst. Most of the time, I use oil control facewashes/scrubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If your skin is very dry and has bad acne, use honey to wash it. Honey heals wounds and will heal your skin. If you have spots, in the first week they will be drawn out. If your skin is real tight and dry, washing with honey will feel like such a relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Panoxyl isn't bad either if you get a bad outbreak but it can be harsh. Oh, and if you do use it, don't let your clothes come in contact with it because it discolours them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

If you're a girl going on the pill would clear it up,drastic solution but it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

If it's scarring, see a doctor. I didn't soon enough and I REALLY regret it. I'm a girl and I have absolutely perfect skin now (thanks to my doctor) but my chest has scars on it.
    Washing won't make much of a difference, the cause of acne isn't dirt!
    Qunioderm and Panoxyl are alright, only use them at night though cos they can inflame your spots and make them redder.

Baking soda is a bad idea because your skin has a natural acid barrier and baking soda completely destroys this. Strong bases form soap with oil in your skin, this is how soap is made industrially. Way too harsh for skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

If you're a girl going on the pill would clear it up,drastic solution but it works

yeah but you cant stay on it all your life, and you end up with nasty outbreaks when you come off it (my skin is currently worse than its ever been in my life since i came off the pill at the end of february)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tv400

go to acne.org and check out about ordering dan kern's clear skin regimen gel. only product that i've ever used that actually made a dramatic difference with my skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Tried a lot of things never got rid of it completely. I think it was stress related for me

Was hoping this thread would be about how acne's become fashionable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i was on Minicin for the guts of 6 months and it didn't really make all that much of a difference!!

i was on something else before that but it didn't really work either, can't remember what it's called!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

eolhc wrote:
    Tried a lot of things never got rid of it completely. I think it was stress related for me

Was hoping this thread would be about how acne's become fashionable

Well there have been studies that show girls are attracted to guys with really severe acne. But guys are not attracted to girls with any acne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I hate recommending something that you ingest without having tried it myself but I know three friends who have had moderate to sever acne who have tried a health supplement called Solo S.K.N. Clear and found its worked wonders. One girl had severe acne all over her face and had tried antibiotics but found they didnt help at all. Her skin totally cleared up within weeks of trying this supplement. When she came off it her spots came back so she went back on it and they cleared again.That was the experience of the two other girls aswell.I know it was initially recommended by a chemist who sold it and got good reaction from customers and had alot of people coming back to buy more. I realise thats all just anecdotal but seeing as its just vitamins and herbs it might be worth a try. You can buy it in chemists and healthshops as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i use panoxyl, works well for me. more or less cleared up my skin completely in the last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Seraphina wrote:
    yeah but you cant stay on it all your life, and you end up with nasty outbreaks when you come off it (my skin is currently worse than its ever been in my life since i came off the pill at the end of february)

i didnt mean all your life,once you reach mid twenties it should be gone anyway,thank god i only get one or two spots a year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

I used a really mild skin cleanser called Betadine.

It's a heavy yellow wash, something like you'd see a surgeon smear on a patient who's about to undergo surgery. Lather it onto yer face, leave it there for 3/4 mins and rinse, worked wonders for me. Just make sure you rinse the whole lot of, it drys in after the 3/4 mins and I sometimes missed spots and went to college with yellow under my chin on more than one occasion!!!

Also, getting good quality sleep was the winner for my Acne. Now I just use a regurlar skin, soap free cleanser; facial scrub twice a week and I'm happy in my nappy and clapping my hands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Doesn't it depend on the actual cause of it? Washing your face helps to stop the pores becoming blocked, but you can also over wash which makes your skin react and produce more oil to compensate, making it worse.

It also isn't necessarily the case that youll grow out of it by your mid 20's. I'm nearly 28 and it still flares up every month without fail.

I did the antibiotics thing, which worked for so long then my body got used to them and it stopped working, I went on Dianette (the pill that also helps your skin) but had such bad side effects I decided I preferred the acne! I did a course of Roaccutane which was scary, it made my skin all peel off like when you've been sunburnt and it was awful - but I had perfectly clear skin for about 2 years afterwards. Now I use stuff called freederm which isn't like those bleachy ones, it has something different in it that doesn't just dry up your skin and sting, and if I feel something coming on I use it at night and first thing in the morning too. It's no miracle cure and seems to work more for some people than others, but worth a try since it seems more gentle than the other stuff. Haven't seen it in the chemists here though... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

If you're looking for plenty of acne advice you cant do better than the message boards of www.acne.org

Absolutely every conceivable method is dicussed there, be careful not to get too drawn into into it though, some of the posters are obsessed but there's good advice to be had. The site while it sells Dan Kerns stuff explains acne in simple language and the people on the boards arent just those using Dan's regime, there's nothing commercial about it.

Stay away from the stuff like using cider vinegar as a toner and you'll be fine!

Personally I use Clinique but have had good results with Simple too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I've used the acne.org regimen for the last 6 months, and I have to say..my skin is clearer now than I can ever remember it being. I never had terribly bad acne, but I would say 'moderate' and I was getting well past teenage years and decided to really try and do something about it. So I decided to give the regimen recommended there a try, and quelle surprise, it does. I now rarely ever get spots, and when I do, they tend to be very small/discreet and they disappear very quickly. I'm now really just left with a few noticeable blemishes from old spots that should fade given more time.

I went with Purpose as the cleanser, Cetaphil for the moisturiser, and Neutrogena On-The-Spot for the benzoyl peroxide cream. I buy these from shopinprivate.com (takes a few weeks for delivery, so bear that in mind when timing your orders). There are three things to really remember though - a) it takes time, it took me a couple of months to really notice a significant difference, and b) you need to become very aware of any contact with your skin and minimise it, c) be gentle, with the cleansing, the moisturising, everything! Don't touch your face, don't lean your face on things. At nighttime, use clean pillowcases (use tissue laid out on your pillowcase if you wish!). In the end, irritation, even small irritation is what causes spots. It all might sound like a lot of effort, but it has been working for me big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭GaryL

I've had acne around the chin, neck and back for about 8 years now. Nothing too serious but it makes a big difference when I have a clear face. Anyway, I tried absolutely everything for it but nothing worked. I was recommented Quinoderm and Panoxyl and they're both fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

Hi Guys,
    Im 21 and had acne since I was 14 i'd say. Tried so many treatments, even that laser thing in the body clinic. Nothing worked, about 3 weeks ago I got a bad break out and pi**ed me off .

I found this http://www.electronichealing.co.uk/products/blue_light_acne_treatment.htm

and I did some reaseach and I rememember that when I was in San Diego my skin was grand due to sunlight I believe, so I ordered this.

Have being using this for 3 weeks now and my acne is nearly all gone.

I also started using Quinoderm cream at the same time.

So I dont know if its one or the other or both together. BUT ITS WORKING

If you are on a budget maybe just start using the cream, I got it from pharmacy4u.co.uk which seam to be cheap and are quick delivery.
    It says use 2 to 3 times a day, I try get 4 in.

But if you were like me and want to get rid of it at any cost then I'd say try the red and blue light system. There is similar treatment available in clinic here but they cost 600 quid and this you will have for a few year at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Yeah Quinoderm is good I find. Hard to get sometimes though.

Does anyone have any advice on acne scarring? My acne days seem to be over (thanks to Dianette I think) but I have bad scars left...is there anything I can do to make the scars fade or at least cover them well? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

LookingFor wrote:
    I've used the acne.org regimen for the last 6 months, and I have to say..my skin is clearer now than I can ever remember it being. I never had terribly bad acne, but I would say 'moderate' and I was getting well past teenage years and decided to really try and do something about it. So I decided to give the regimen recommended there a try, and quelle surprise, it does. I now rarely ever get spots, and when I do, they tend to be very small/discreet and they disappear very quickly. I'm now really just left with a few noticeable blemishes from old spots that should fade given more time.

I went with Purpose as the cleanser, Cetaphil for the moisturiser, and Neutrogena On-The-Spot for the benzoyl peroxide cream. I buy these from shopinprivate.com (takes a few weeks for delivery, so bear that in mind when timing your orders). There are three things to really remember though - a) it takes time, it took me a couple of months to really notice a significant difference, and b) you need to become very aware of any contact with your skin and minimise it, c) be gentle, with the cleansing, the moisturising, everything! Don't touch your face, don't lean your face on things. At nighttime, use clean pillowcases (use tissue laid out on your pillowcase if you wish!). In the end, irritation, even small irritation is what causes spots. It all might sound like a lot of effort, but it has been working for me big time.

Dans regime works to a point alright, I personally use Dans Cleanser, Dans BP gel in the moring, brevoxyl in the evening, and Nivea Oil free moisturiser after both

Basically its:

Cleanse with a gentle cleanser VERY gently
    Wait 15 mins
    Apply LOTS of benezoyl peroxide of no greater than 4% VERY gently
    Wait 15 mins
    Moisturise VERY gently

the electronic light is a good idea too

stay away from:
    any cream that doesnt have benezoyl peroxide
    any moisturiser that is not oil free AND non comodegenic

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blondie999

I found that the only way to control my acne was to go on the pill yasmin. My GP said alot of acne is hormonal and no over the counter product will get rid of it. I have to say my skin is way better with the pill. I also tried N lite afew years ago and it didn't do much for my skin and I'd tried every product you could buy and nothing worked. It would be worth visiting your GP and save yourself alot of money and heartache.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

tv400 wrote:
    go to acne.org and check out about ordering dan kern's clear skin regimen gel. only product that i've ever used that actually made a dramatic difference with my skin.
    QFT

Dan Kern's Benzoyl Peroxide product is an absolute godsend. I tried loads of different skin regimes and products and was getting extremely exasperated by the time I found this. In my experience the VAST majority of skin products you can buy in shops and chemists are complete bullsh1t and do absolutely nothing. However BP, from what I've seen, will have some sort of positive effect on virtually everyone.

There are a few BP products on the market, but his is by FAR the best. In the chemist you can get BP 2.5, 5 and 10 - some places only stock 10 (Oxy 10 and the likes) as people just automatically go 'oh, give me the 10, that's the strongest so it must be the best', but they should be avoided. Even Panoxyl, which comes in 2.5, is WAY too strong for most people. I used that initially, applied it ONCE daily and 3 days after starting to use it my face went bright red (felt like my head was in a furnace for about 3 hours after application on the third day) and then my skin started flaking off like crazy for several weeks (I was basically reduced to moisturising every fifteen minutes). It can useful for fire-fighting though - if you get a zit and you want to clear it off quickly, put some on and it'll generally help.

However, using Dan Kern's product daily makes a massive difference. I got a little bit of flaking initially but once my skin built up a tolerance to it the problem vanished. After showering in the morning, I shave and then exfoliate around my nose, apply the BP2.5 and then moisturise. My skin is 100 times better since I started doing this. Whenever I get lazy and slack on the regime, my skin flares up again, so I have to make an extra effort to do it daily. I cannot recommend this stuff enough to anyone, just make sure you get a GOOD BP product, and start with a small dose as your skin may be sensitive to it (mine was).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

the best ive ever tried its ketsugo but if its bad acne you might need something stronger. I use ketsugo every day I apply it to my Tzone before my make up and I never get spots anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I've just started using several Dermalogica products and after a week or so i must say im impressed. Got them off eBay but they are not cheap......does anybody have experience using this range or any recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elaine_d18

I'm 22 and have had acne on my back, chest and shoulders since I was 15. The only thing that worked for me was Dianette, I was on it for a few years and it cleared up my skin. I got microdermabrasion then and my skin was completely clear. Then 6 months ago I cam off dianette and now my skin is worse then its ever been.
    I've been using benezoyl peroxide products recently which are very expensive but haven't worked at all. Its very depressing. I've just heard that Pantothenic Acid is really good so going to try that next.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭loodles

Elaine- i am on Dianette and have looked into coming off it. apparently its worse at first but then does clear after a few months. I use a gel called differen (on prescription) and find it really good, try that in the meantime.

Do ye know if it's safe to stay on dianette for more than 2 years??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You should ask a pharmacist about that. Generally I wouldn't consider it safe to stay on anything for more than 2 years without getting some sort of professional advice.

Yeah....just my doctor didn't mention anything about it and I've been on it for almost 2 years now and she's still giving me the prescription

Advertisement