Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extremely dry brittle hair

Options
  • 05-07-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have extremely dry brittle hair and nails for the last year which seems to be getting worse and worse everyday, I eat a very varied healthy diet and take many supplements aswell. I am starting to think that the cause is medical .
    I have tried all the conditoners and treatments that I can think but it's still the same . I have had blood tests to rule out thryoid hormone imbalance so it's definitely not that.
    I am just wondering has anyone else out there experienced the same and and if there can be anything done to bring my hair back to it's former healthy self.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

how much water do you drink?

do you eat a lot of fish?

do you have any food alergies?

there's tons of reasons it's very hard to nail it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PushTheButton

Hi Twiggyhair

Had the same problem as you, my hair was down past my shoulders and as I have my hair highlighted every 4 to 6 weeks, it became dead and lifeless. It was awful! It looked like my natural hair was just cheap extensions! All bitty and wispy and fuzzy and no amount of expensive conditioner did any good.

I don;t know how old you are or what length your hair is currently, but a few months ago I took the plunge and went for a chop! A nice bob and hey presto, the condition of it was amazing, people wanted to touch it and stroke it (oo-er!!:p ) it looked that good! And it is now so soft and healthy looking. It's starting growing really fast again!

Good natural conditioners are mayonnaise, wrap the hair in cling film and leave for 20 mins and then wash well with a nice gentle shampoo like Johnson's Baby Shampoo - nothing too harsh to strip your hair again. Olive oil used sparingly is also good but these are short term solutions to an on going problem.

As for your nails? Friends of mine swear by eating raw jelly but I don't think this is the right way!!! Natural and cheap solution - A good dab of Almond Oil on your nails at night time with a little pair of soft gloves will see you right. If you don't like the idea of wearing gloves, go to any good nail salon or beauticians and ask for a bottle of Nailtiques for dry brittle nails. Don't know about price but several of my friends swear by it.

Hope this is helpful to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

you should try aussie 3 minute reconstruction,it works wonders on my hair

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

Could be a medical problem... If your diets okay and you don't over-twiddle with your hair. Get it checked out, could be your thyroid or anything.

Advertisement