Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get the best out of a Wah-Wah

• 20-12-2004 6:48pm

I was thinking of getting a wah-wah pedal pretty soon but instead of just going out and gettin one i got a lend of one for a while, and this might sound odd, but , What does it do? i know that it changes teh frequencies but i'm not certain i'm using it properly, rock back and forth etc. Anyone got any tips on using it to its best potential?

Emmet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Listen to Jimi Hendrix, pre-Load Metallica, Cream etc. There's no right or wrong way to use it, just **** about with it until it sounds good to you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Play a song, 4/4 timing. Every beat or every second beat, rock it toe forward then all the way back.

Use it as a filter (set it to a certain level and play).

Throw it at people.

I've been using it as a filter yeah and i've been trying to use it like Hendrix (pity my guitar skils are so off :D ) but i just seem to be a bit too hard on it?? It's a little sensitive i think.

What sort of wah pedal is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Try using the other foot. A lot of right handed people use their left foot, I prefer to use my right. Also, try not to go through the full range of motion, from one end to the other, try and be gentle around the middle (where most of the sweep takes place) and do it in finer sweeps

• Advertisement

Ditto with the right foot thing. Hee, I thought I was odd cos I used that foot while being right handed.

right handed - using right foot

It's a dunlop GCB 95

Hmm, try to use the heel back and middle positions of the wah. Add some mids to your tone. It'll sound nicer.

I love my GCB 95. Of course, it isn't stock :D

yeah this doesn't have true bypass, is there any awy of "making" it less sensitive without damaging it on its owner?

What do you mean by "sensitive"?

• Advertisement

it moves very easily, is there anyway of making it less "shifty"(can't even explain the problem :( )

You mean that you move your foot slightly but the sound changes a lot?

there you go, not just that though, but even slight pressure moves the pedal a lot

TBH, you just have to get used to it. There's no way to change it.

thanks. Oh yeah, any settings i should have at amp at for it?

spider 112

About half mids (if you play rock/metal).

blues, and light rock

Try bass about 5-6, mids 4-5, treble 4-5, little bit of distortion, neck pickup.

Yum.

cheers!

Invisible rep for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

You can only make a wah good if your playing is also good.

Wah's are most effective when you bend a note or use them for a muted string (Whackachicka) kinda thing.

Recomended listening for great wah playing:

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun - on the Band of Gypsies album
    Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile(Slight Return) - on Electric Ladyland
    Jimi Hendrix - Burning of the midnight lamp - on Electric Ladyland
    Jimi Hendrix - Bellybutton Window - First Ray's of the new rising sun.
    Jimi Hendrix - Little Miss Lover - Axis Bold as Love

Yeah I know, all Hendrix! As Dr J said some of the older Metallica albums have some great wah solo's too, but I think Hendrix got a more pure sound when he used it.

He uses a Univibe pedal on some of these tunes too that gives a kind of swirling effect so don't worry if you can't get that sound.

Listen to them and try emulate them and you'll soon make the wah sound good, and don't be lazy looking for shortcuts, just find your own way of using it.

Fusion
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

All I'm saying is Theme from Shaft.. get down with that funky groove, who's the man that's a sex machine to all the ladies ?

Advertisement