Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE arts programme with weird dancing man, 1980s.

Options
  • 01-07-2014 10:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

This is one of those things thats been stuck in my head for years and its kind of in the was it real or did I dream it catagory.I remember in the early to mid 80s(rough guess 1984) I saw the opening sequence for a late night programme on RTE possibly RTE 2.I think the programme had the word "Arts" in the title and the sequence consisted of a guy in sunglasses doing this weird Kraftwerk type robotic dance to the title music.I only remember seeing it once.Can anyone else confirm it existed and I didn't dream it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

TV Gaga??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

TV Gaga??

Hmmmm I dunno.What was the opening sequence to that like again?I'm pretty sure this was a "serious" arts review programme and not a youth show like TV Gaga.

The dancing guy could have been wearing swimming goggles now that I think of it.Also possibly the sequence could have been edited to make his dancing look more robotic or mechanical,a bit like Herbie Hancocks Rockitt video.

His dancing was vaguely reminiscent of in this clip only due to the editing it was speeded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

There was a show Exhibit A - The Arts Show apparently broadcast between 1984-1986. I can't find any other info about it though

There was a show Exhibit A - The Arts Show apparently broadcast between 1984-1986. I can't find any other info about it though

That sounds like it could well be it.Its the right timeframe and I'm almost certain it had the word Arts in the title.BTW where did you hear about it,Googles drawing a blank for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

darkdubh wrote: »
    That sounds like it could well be it.Its the right timeframe and I'm almost certain it had the word Arts in the title.BTW where did you hear about it,Googles drawing a blank for me?

Took a look through a list of programmes RTE broadcast
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programmes_broadcast_by_RTÉ

A google search of "Exhibit A RTE" brought back a partial spanish article with the air dates on it. Theres feck all else about it I can find though :/

Took a look through a list of programmes RTE broadcast
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programmes_broadcast_by_RTÉ

A google search of "Exhibit A RTE" brought back a partial spanish article with the air dates on it. Theres feck all else about it I can find though :/

Nice one!I'd love to see that opening sequence again.Quite possibly on Youtube somewhere on one of those uploads of RTE adbreaks from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

..animation or person doing the dancing?

autobahn.jpg

RTE would randomly play Roger Mainwood's 'Autobahn film' whenever they had time to kill, it seemed to be an in-joke for someone at the station.

I also remember the glasses guy being used, heavily edited, in an intro of some sort.

Full lenght embedded below.

Amalgam wrote: »
    ..animation or person doing the dancing?

autobahn.jpg

RTE would randomly play Roger Mainwood's 'Autobahn film' whenever they had time to kill, it seemed to be an in-joke for someone at the station.

I also remember the glasses guy being used, heavily edited, in an intro of some sort.

Full lenght embedded below.

Ha ha ,I remember this well,used to see it regulerly.Its deffo not this that I'm talking about.It was live action and the guy he may have been wearing similar swimming goggles to here or they could have been sunglasses but now that I think it was probably black tinted swimming goggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Never mind that blue chap, here's a home-grown throwback in wrap around
    glasses, prancing around to forgettable music from a bygone era:

bono%20fly%20zooropa%20sunglasses.jpg

• Advertisement

Another nugget of info on the programme,dancing man remains as elusive as ever though.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2194/059.html

Advertisement