Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2FM late night comedy show 1990s

Options
  • 07-08-2014 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Does anyone else remember the late night comedy radio shows 2FM used to do?

I remember there was this satire of an agony aunt giving out advice
    in a real grating voice. Her advice would be loaded with double-meanings
    that would usually be dirty and funny. She would end each segment with
    something like "today, try to make your world a better place".

There was also this male presenter who used to play funny clips known as wavs -
    which were snips of comedy, funny songs, jokes etc. This was long before
    youtube or facebook.

I remember there were some great ones -

A parody of "I will survive" about this Dublin fella who pulls a real rough bird in
    a club - he still does the deed but he's horrified at himself.

There was a version of Elton John's "Don't let the sun go down on me"
    about the Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky affair "I let an intern go down on me".

This was around 1998 - 1999 I remember.

Comments

That was Fiona Looney'c character Amelia Golightly and every topic she would talk about was a metaphor she would say at the beginning of the sketch "isn't *insert* a lot like Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I found this after a quick search for Amelia Golightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Amelia was part of "Maloney after midnight" (Mike Moloney), though he never played the funny songs, clips that you mention.

That could have been Gerry Wilson's overnight show, which at that stage was not broadcast live.

Advertisement