Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get Driving licence in 4 weeks

Options
  • 14-07-2006 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

Here's the thing, a job has come up in work that requires me having a full driving licence. This would mean a substantial rise and better benefits, the vacancy needs to be filled in 4-5 weeks and I have been reliably informed that if I get a full driving licence before the job needs to be filled I have the job!

Firstly, I have not applied for the driving test yet (doing it today online)

Its been about 5 years since I had regular use of a car but I am sure my driving could be brought up to scratch in a month to pass the test.

I was driving for a couple of years on a provisional ( out of date since april 2001)

Can I just do the test without having an up to date provisional?

I heard that if your employer sends a letter to whoever is in charge of the driving tests saying I need a licence for work I could be put on a cancellation list and be called to do a test pretty soon- Is this true- has anyone had experience of such a thing?

Any information with regard to my predicament is more than welcome:)

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No, you cant do a driving test without an up to date provisional. As its been 5 years, you will have to sit the driver theory test too as well as the regular eye test to get a new provisional. You might be able to get the test faster by going on the cancellation list as you said, but 4 weeks is a big ask for someone who hasnt had much road experience in 5 years. Traffic patterns have changed a lot since then. Good luck with it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zambrotta

Hi yeah I have been on a waiting list for ages my self and i'm getting worse and worse at driving as the time goes by. But I think that you ca get a fast tracked test if can get a letter from your job but I'm not sure if they still do that it is just something that I heard but i might be worth looking into. Any way you are not alone there is this new site www.giveoutabout.com and driving licence waiting lists is one of the most popular complaints, maybe you could tell them. Let us know if I am right if getting that letter from your boss will work.
    World cup hero Zambrotta Ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

A fried of mine recently did a test that was quickly set up, but in his case he had a letter from his employer to state that he really needs a full licence etc etc. As well, he had his provisional licence so he was pretty much ready to sit it when called. On your licence, I did get one processed quickly some years ago on production of a letter from my employer, it took all of one day for it to be done!

To be honest, I can't really see any employer writing out a letter to the Driving Test people asking for a test for someone that they don't employ (as well as a provisional being sped up)circumstance unless they are really in need of your working services, in which case they would just hire you anyway. But do let us know on how you are getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Hamndegger wrote:

To be honest, I can't really see any employer writing out a letter to the Driving Test people asking for a test for someone that they don't employ (as well as a provisional being sped up)circumstance unless they are really in need of your working services, in which case they would just hire you anyway. But do let us know on how you are getting on.

Sound, but I am employed by the company already, and have been assured by the boss that the job(promotion really) is there if I can get a full driving licence within a month(the job has to be filled by middle of august).
    He said it would be no problem writing a letter for me to speed it up, so lets hope this little issue of a driving licence gets sorted
    Have to do my theory test and get a new provisional before I can even apply so its not really looking good:(
    I will update as I go
    Have the theory test on the 25thjuly - Can I get my provisional that day if I pass(if I fail that im retiring) ,,,?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Can I get my provisional that day if I pass(if I fail that im retiring) ,,,?

I was waiting two weeks to receive my new license and that was with me calling in in person. So you won't be able to practice until then (legally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I did my theory test last summer in the morning, went straight to the opticians for the eye test, then straight to the motor tax office behing the Four Courts, and I had my licence 3 days later. It can be done, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Can I just do the test without having an up to date provisional?

Turn up for the test with no provisional licence and it's an automatic fail before you even start the test, they wont even get in the car with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

It's no problem to get your provisional quickly after your theory test, I got mine in 3 days.

But when i was applying for driving a few days later i rang them and asked if a letter from the boss would speed things up they said that unless you were willing to take test with very short notice (your local test centre ring you the day before, due to a late cancellation) you would be waiting 9-10 months with bosses letter as oppossed to 12-14 months without.

So if you go for doing it with very short notice it is possible and no problem to pass as it is quite easy I passed in April on first go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

When I did my test last year I applied in late July. In August I got a letter from my employer in order to speed it up, and 2 weeks later they rang to see if I could do my test in a weeks time, so had plenty of notice.

Advertisement