Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do they have your prints ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

dbit wrote: »
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/23/us-usa-cybersecurity-fingerprints-idUSKCN0RN1V820150923

Useless in the hands of the thieves ? the threat could increase over time as technology evolves ? thats reassuring .

Sadly the Police have mine due to a minor act on vandalism during the folly of my youth!

This does make you wonder about biometric methods of securing your computer such as with a thumbprint... presumably getting a digital copy of it would be the first step to making a replica?

Apparently all you really need though is a gummi bear... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Never got my prints for any reason ( Just never been caught tee hee) Now that im all grown up and hgeading towards the second half of my childhood I still loves the aul gummi bears. Retina scans could also be bluffed in the same fashion ??? im not suggesting gummi bears shoved into eye sockets or anything ?

Some from of thermo setting squidgy stuff would do for print scaning - often wondered if a photo copy would work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Some from of thermo setting squidgy stuff would do for print scaning - often wondered if a photo copy would work .

I refer you to the great mythbusters. :D

However it would appear this was bogus for a finish. :o

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I refer you to the great mythbusters. :D

However it would appear this was bogus for a finish. :o

Fascinating article, thanks!

I have to be frank every security guru to whom I have spoken has warned me off usb fingerprint readers, however the article states the lock in question also required a PIN, so it would be a form of two factor authentication.

Every single thumb drive and reader I have seen that unlocks with a fingerprint, doesn't give the option to require a password too, or else I'd buy it in a heartbeat, anyone know of one? :)

• Advertisement

Biometric security aint wait its cracked up to be really . I agree needs to be a 2F mehtod. I once worked in a firm that used retina scans for station log ins . they dont use it anymore lol.

Biometric security aint wait its cracked up to be really . I agree needs to be a 2F mehtod. I once worked in a firm that used retina scans for station log ins . they dont use it anymore lol.

You have it one dbit.

I was just browsing Amazon and eBAy again to see if anything has changed, same as before really any amount of usb fingerprint readers with shocking reviews about how difficult they are to use... also almost ALL of them are only compatible with certain versions of Windows so if security is your thing... need I go on? :)

It seems to me that to make this a good sell you'd need a self contained device which performs the fingerprint authentication combined with a PIN code which can also be entered on the device, might be bulky but it would be safest.

Or you place the hand in the reader so it can scan your print , clamps your wrist and then spikes you for a blood sample lol . All while some dude is behind a screen oggling your nether regions from an X-ray. ITs not really that invasive nor does it need to be .

Just had a gander at the IronKey website (I used to have one of their USB sticks!):

Found this hard drive which seems to offer most of what you need ideally i.e on board fingerprint validation and two factor authentication through use of external software which sadly only seems to be compatible with Windows/Mac though presumably if it's using 128 bit AES Linux could unlock this with it's built in dm-crypt?

Update : Further to my last post it does seem that you can access Ironkey devices via an App provided by Ironkey. However these devices are very expensive and also I wish there was more choice for the consumer, this is the only one I've found! :)

Bag of acid and a bag of hammers is the only way cut all phone lines and burn the office equipment ive had enough im done the world is just a sess pit.

• Advertisement

Bag of acid and a bag of hammers is the only way cut all phone lines and burn the office equipment ive had enough im done the world is just a sess pit.

Ha! I have heard security researchers say that we should go live alone in a cave if we want complete privacy... it has its merits! :)

I'm caving then , couldnt resist.

I'm caving then , couldnt resist.

Ha! It does make me laugh though when people who make a living from recommending ways to secure computers try to tell us that we're wasting our time... Practical security is possible because of the simple fact that it's practically impossible to survey 100% of what everyone does 100% of the time! :)

Advertisement