Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wireless option for Desktop..

Options
  • 27-10-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question, moving apts and free wireless is part of the deal, (no choice as no cabling alternative), plan on getting laptop after a while, but for now using a custom desktop, asus p5n-e sli board.
    which is the best option wireless pci e card or usb adapter, i'd dont mind getting a very good one as will use it for something else down the line...Any advice on best models etc appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PCI adapter. USB will increase latency, not to mention having an ugly dongle sticking out.

Overclockers have a fairly cheap edimax PCI/wireless N card that seems to do a decent job. Should only cost around €30 when shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question, moving apts and free wireless is part of the deal, (no choice as no cabling alternative), plan on getting laptop after a while, but for now using a custom desktop, asus p5n-e sli board.
    which is the best option wireless pci e card or usb adapter, i'd dont mind getting a very good one as will use it for something else down the line...Any advice on best models etc appreciated...
    Use a USB stick type as you can easily move it to any computer, desktop or laptop, as for wireless spec. I would use the WUSB600N linksys adapter as you can use it on a, b, g and n protocol wireless networks with the latest WPA2 Encryption. It varies between €20 to €50.
    It does have a small latency issue. Unless you are an online gamer, I would not worry.

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=WUSB600N

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Cheers guys will check it out....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

USB dongles dont really have much of their own onboard processing. I often catch the linksys drivers for the dongles at work hogging up an assload of the CPU's time. Theyre highly convenient, especially if you plan to hop machine to machine with it. But thats about it. Theyre otherwise a total copout for people too afraid to crack open a case.

But a laptop you get will already at this stage have built-in N reception, so theres not too much point in just getting an internal card for the desktop. Theyre better about supplying their own onboard processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Overheal wrote: »
    USB dongles dont really have much of their own onboard processing. I often catch the linksys drivers for the dongles at work hogging up an assload of the CPU's time. Theyre highly convenient, especially if you plan to hop machine to machine with it. But thats about it. Theyre otherwise a total copout for people too afraid to crack open a case.

But a laptop you get will already at this stage have built-in N reception, so theres not too much point in just getting an internal card for the desktop. Theyre better about supplying their own onboard processing.

Opening a case is no bother, yeah wouldnt get pci e card for desktop for reason u described....Long term wouldnt make sense...Thanks for reply..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mbrc

PCI adapter. USB will increase latency, not to mention having an ugly dongle sticking out.

Overclockers have a fairly cheap edimax PCI/wireless N card that seems to do a decent job. Should only cost around €30 when shipped.

do you know if this would be compatible with a netopia router or would different brands not be an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mbrc wrote: »
    do you know if this would be compatible with a netopia router or would different brands not be an issue?

I don't know to be honest, I've never used a netopia router. Should be fine though; wireless N cards are backwards compatible with G and B. I'm using my own with a linksys WRT54G here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mbrc

thanks

Advertisement