Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your favourite subject in school?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Religion was good because the teacher had no control over us,had a great seat in history were I could swing on the chair and look out the window all day.Metalwork and woodwork was good craic to because our class was a crowd of messers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

It's a bit deja vu this thread :D

Yeah, physics and maths anyway, followed by business organisation and accountancy (I wanted to do economics too for the LC but it was in the same block as bus. org.)

I loved languages, but Irish was taught badly, it wasn't the teacher's fault, I was a natural gaeilgeoir anyway so I had it much easier than a lot of the class. I was good at other languages too and have a couple under my belt since. English actually, loved the plays, poetry and prose, devoured Shakespeare, and all the classics.

I loved history too but like I said in the other thread, difficulty with remembering dates, but reading about all the different periods, civilisations, societies and cultures was fascinating.

One Eyed Jack, that's a lovely post. I like to think this thread is a mature reflection about the subjects we studied.:D

When I did my leaving there was a course that combined physics and chemistry. I liked the physics part but my brain wasn't wired to comprehend the chemistry component.

I found languages easy too - not sure it was because of my ability, we had excellent language teachers. I couldn't read enough English literature. My sister is 18 months younger than me and I read all her English course work as well as my own. You can't beat the classics.

We had a native speaker who taught us Irish. Her passion made me appreciate the language and then grow to love it. But I can understand why some people hate the subject.

History was a joy to study. It was like reading an excellent novel.

I loved Latin because our teacher was very passionate about her subject. She wasn't a harsh teacher but she had very, very high standards. We all got A's in the Leaving and it was down to her.

And then there was maths.....one language I never understood and I really tried so hard to get my brain around maths, I did higher level in 5th year before copping on that I had no clue and did ordinary level in 6th year. I still was clueless.

Sorry for such a long post .... just memories really.

Just a nosy, curious question what languages did you learn since the LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Maths. Always loved it. I get extremely pissed of a the effort the media seem to go to to terrify students about the subject.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Maths and any science subject (I did physics, chemistry and applied maths) because I was a massive nerd and found them really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I liked history in primary school when it was all about Irish legends. I was disappointed when I started secondary school and they started teaching us about things that had actually happened.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Justice4Adolf

I was quite fond of lunch break.
    But I especially looked forward to going home time everyday.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

History. Not particularly interested in historical events but having an excellent and enthusiastic teacher elevated the subject for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

English.

Regret dropping history for the LC - loved it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Aineoil wrote: »
    One Eyed Jack, that's a lovely post. I like to think this thread is a mature reflection about the subjects we studied.:D

When I did my leaving there was a course that combined physics and chemistry. I liked the physics part but my brain wasn't wired to comprehend the chemistry component.

I found languages easy too - not sure it was because of my ability, we had excellent language teachers. I couldn't read enough English literature. My sister is 18 months younger than me and I read all her English course work as well as my own. You can't beat the classics.

We had a native speaker who taught us Irish. Her passion made me appreciate the language and then grow to love it. But I can understand why some people hate the subject.

History was a joy to study. It was like reading an excellent novel.

I loved Latin because our teacher was very passionate about her subject. She wasn't a harsh teacher but she had very, very high standards. We all got A's in the Leaving and it was down to her.

And then there was maths.....one language I never understood and I really tried so hard to get my brain around maths, I did higher level in 5th year before copping on that I had no clue and did ordinary level in 6th year. I still was clueless.

Sorry for such a long post .... just memories really.

Just a nosy, curious question what languages did you learn since the LC?

Cheers for that Aineoil :)

I was lucky too in that my mother was a primary school teacher (retired now) and as well as speaking Irish at home we were taught Latin, and then I learned Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, did French for the LC, learned Polish in the last couple of years and I keep meaning to get around to learning German at some stage :)

My mother actually wanted me to be a teacher, still does, always dropping hints lately about the Hibernian course in the UK, but it's just not for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

German.

I had a wonderful teacher and a deep love for the structure and tone of the language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

English
    Geography
    Woodwork (just for JC)

A's all round. :pac:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Cheers for that Aineoil :)

I was lucky too in that my mother was a primary school teacher (retired now) and as well as speaking Irish at home we were taught Latin, and then I learned Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, did French for the LC, learned Polish in the last couple of years and I keep meaning to get around to learning German at some stage :)

My mother actually wanted me to be a teacher, still does, always dropping hints lately about the Hibernian course in the UK, but it's just not for me :o

Wow, that's incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

History and PE! Surprised nobody mentioned PE yet, it was great

You are surprised on essentially a nerdy Forum no one mentioned PE... Really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Religion, for the simple reason we had a great religion teacher.
    She never mentioned religion all that much and focused on human rights.
    Brought the whole class to see Cry Freedom in the Ambassador.
    She used to on about Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko all the time.
    So, for that reason Religion was a class I loved. No homework either.

Otherwise, English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

English and History.

Naturally led to art college and a failed middle aged attempt at an IT career.
    Still I'm a very well read unemployable person. Perhaps someone will destroy the internet and break the computers. Then all will be well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

History or woodwork .loved both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

A2 in higher Maths
    A1 in higher Biology
    A1 in higher Home Ec
    B3 in higher Geography.
    C3 in ordinary Germany.
    D3 in Higher Irish
    D2 in Higher English

I was a strange student who couldn't see the point in studying languages. Bored the absolute ****e out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

efb wrote: »
    You are surprised on essentially a nerdy Forum no one mentioned PE... Really???

Yes I am, I thought it would be quite popular actually...my world is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

History. Stuff just came easy to me, dates etc and I liked writing a lot because it didn't involve much thinking but more remembering. I also had a complete legend of a history teacher who made our life in school in general a lot better.

Geography for the same reason. Just writing facts and not much thinking. All very simple stuff. One teacher was really boring (but cool) and the other reallly annoying though

DCG because I had a decent teacher and my mates did it too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Geography. I loved it so much that I studied it at college and pursued a career in a closely related field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

My favourite subjects were English and History, though I liked Biology a lot too. I ended up studying History and Classics in college and I loved it, I mean I'm qualified for absolutely nothing but it was interesting all the same.

I have to think of this song now:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Geography. I loved it so much that I studied it at college and pursued a career in a closely related field.

Where was this field? Is it a nice field? How many cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

English and History were my two favourites.

I wish I'd studied them at third level, but there was a stupid, fashionable aversion to doing Arts at the time. In fact, I assume that hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

My favourite was goin on the Hop, had this every Thursday and Friday

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Geography and History

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Art. Even the theory side of things! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

English definitely. Once I hit 3rd year it came pretty naturally. I loved reading and writing anyway so no study was involved :)
    Closely followed by Chemistry. Breaking Bad inspired me to do it for the leaving ( I know, how dumb) and went on to study science in college. Always found it really easy too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Languages came easy to me...Loved accountancy..
    Interesting reading how teachers can be so influential in the love/success in a subject:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Loved history, good at geography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

History and geography.

Until we got to the LC cycle. Recent Irish history is ...I'm afraid both boring and depressing. You'd think it shouldn't be boring, but it really was.

Advertisement