Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your favourite subject in school?

Options
  • 28-07-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

Mine was history. I liked hearing about events that transformed the world albeit not always with good consequences. So what was yours and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Quite liked maths and physics....but I am excruciating boring though

History sounds interesting btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

English. I loved, and still love, reading novels, plays, and poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Loved history. Great craic.
    Religion was fun also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Hometime.

It took all sorts of mad skillz and knowledge to get the fcuk out the door as soon as I possibly could. I have a very rounded and broad education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Maths, English, Business Studies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The stuff I was good at!

Art
    History
    Geography

(I should add they also had the teachers who seemed to be able to get it across, whatever it was)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Loved maths despite it being my worst subject, hated English despite it being my best subject. I still don't understand what it all means exactly but I assume it's indicative of some sort of personality complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Loved history.I used even read the text book at home.And no, i wasnt a swot.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

I loved metalwork too for bending things in the vices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Irish, English, Latin, History.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Biology!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Loved maths. My teacher was mad but the best one I ever had. Used to throw whiteboard markers at the people talking in the back hehe.
    History was cool too European history moreso: Bismarck, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin and all that croud are great when your at that age when you hate everything
    Biology too :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Maths, physics and applied maths. I loved art history too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Business and Geography, enjoyed learning about cultures/countries/regions more than rocks and rivers tough.
    Also like C.S.P.E and L.C.V.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Peregrine wrote: »
    Maths, physics and applied maths. I loved art history too.

I would have loved the chance to study art history. It wasn't a subject choice

where I went to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's a bit deja vu this thread :D

Yeah, physics and maths anyway, followed by business organisation and accountancy (I wanted to do economics too for the LC but it was in the same block as bus. org.)

I loved languages, but Irish was taught badly, it wasn't the teacher's fault, I was a natural gaeilgeoir anyway so I had it much easier than a lot of the class. I was good at other languages too and have a couple under my belt since. English actually, loved the plays, poetry and prose, devoured Shakespeare, and all the classics.

I loved history too but like I said in the other thread, difficulty with remembering dates, but reading about all the different periods, civilisations, societies and cultures was fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I loved metalwork too for bending things in the vices.

There's always one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Aineoil wrote: »
    I would have loved the chance to study art history. It wasn't a subject choice

where I went to school.

It was a part of Leaving Cert Art. Worth around 40%. I was no good at the rest but I loved art history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I really liked maths. Got on well with the teacher. Was good at it the whole way through school but only really started to like it after 5th year when I got that teacher. Geography was good as well. The class was basically all lads and we had good craic with the teacher and each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Maths, hated it. Just scraped by in Ordinary Level. Woodwork was a doss, teacher was a lunatic as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

English and History. Always looked forward to those classes. I love reading and researching:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Classical Studies.

Had no interest in any of the other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

History and PE! Surprised nobody mentioned PE yet, it was great

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I enjoyed geography. Not learning place or river names, but more about nature and it's awesome power to mould the planet!

I enjoyed history but as I grew older I grew more cynical about the validity of the information. The victors write history and over time whatever bits of truth is recorded gets diluted. Its still a fascinating topic.

Loved maths despite it being my worst subject, hated English despite it being my best subject. I still don't understand what it all means exactly but I assume it's indicative of some sort of personality complex.

I was exactly the same. I didn't really like maths until I was in Leaving Cert, I think the fact that I found it much more challenging than my other subjects was part of the attraction. Sadly, I then made the mistake of doing a degree in maths; I started to like it a lot less then. :( As for English, it was mostly a terrible Junior Cert teacher that made me resent it. My Leaving Cert English teacher was great but I still didn't enjoy having to write pages of analysis of texts and poetry; I much prefer just reading something for the sake of enjoying it.

My other favourite subject was Geography. I suspect I would have really liked Economics but sadly my school didn't teach it at Leaving Cert due to lack of demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I absolutely LOVED Biology, still so passionate about it.

Also really enjoyed English and Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OiL RiG

Definitely chemistry.

It wasn't the subject I found easiest or most useful. Rather, I had a fantastic teacher who made each class genuinely interesting and could relate the material to the real world and its practical applications. I loved carrying out the experiments in the lab and really developed a passion for the subject through understanding rather than learning off set definitions and reams of notes.

Funny how much difference a good teacher can make. One who teaches the subject rather than the exam and can really instill a class with enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Maths and Technical Drawing (TD ended up being an eighth subject as the school I was attending didn't have a schedule which allowed for French, Biology and Technical Drawing).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Maths. I had an extraordinary teacher though. A bit off the wall and we never once got homework of any kind. Something mad like half the class got A's in honours.

Advertisement