Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog abortion.

Options
  • 13-01-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi guys,

We found a little dog late last year abandoned in a carpark. She was freezing and really skinny. We took her home and she immediately 'clicked' with our other little rescue dog. They are the best of friends, we kept an eye on lost and found pages but nothing about her ever came up, so we kept her.

We booked her in to be spayed, this was late Nov, early Dec. But she came on heat and the vet said wait until after xmas so her hormones will have settled down.

So we obsessively kept her inside and away from all dogs, there are no dogs where we live, except next door, but they are all neutered.

Around this time (Dec 6th) both my partner and I had to go away for work for a few days, so we found boarding kennel to take the two dogs.
    I explained over the phone that one of the dogs was in heat and they said that was fine, that she would only be allowed in the 'social areas' with other females or neutered males.

My partner dropped the dogs off and explained to them again about her being in heat and that she was being spaded in Jan.

Now nearly exactly a month later our dog is visibly pregnant.
    We only really noticed last week but kept saying 'sure how the hell could she be?!'

Today was her appointment to be spayed, but we spoke to the vet over the phone a few days ago and told her our suspicions, so she said she would check her out when she came in.

So the vet examed her and believes she is about one month pregnant.
    She gave her an injection to end it and then another one tomorrow morning. I was too upset/angry to ask her alot of questions about what exactly will happen.

Has anyone ever had any experience of these injections? What can I expect to happen or go wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Unfortunately I can't provide you any information regarding the injection.

However, I would be taking this up with the management of the boarding kennels. I would be demanding a refund plus vet fee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

I know I'm so effing mad.
    I've been ringing them since I got into work but so far no answer. I don't even know what I'm going to say to them, like how do you prove the dog got pregnant under their 'care'?

Emotions are a bit high today and I know I will start crying if I speak to them! I just feel so sorry for the little dog because I can't imagine this will be too pleasant for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Was she def pregnant? At 4 weeks you really dont know if they are pregnant as they dont show signs until at least 5/6 weeks.

Yes her belly is noticably swollen and rock hard and she has enlarged teets.

I'd say this probably would be week 5, Dec 6th- Jan 13th or something near enough that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I know I'm so effing mad.
    I've been ringing them since I got into work but so far no answer. I don't even know what I'm going to say to them, like how do you prove the dog got pregnant under their 'care'?

Emotions are a bit high today and I know I will start crying if I speak to them! I just feel so sorry for the little dog because I can't imagine this will be too pleasant for her.

It won't be pleasant, but a lot better than an unwanted litter. Who knows what size dog got at her as well, if she's a small dog and a larger male breed got to her it could end very badly for mother and pups.

I would send the kennels a letter stating that the vet approximates the pregnancy to the time that she spent there and that you were assured that she would be kept separate from intact males. Accidents can happen but in a professional environment like a kennel they shouldn't. Are they a member of ibkca.ie?

• Advertisement

A letter would probably be the best, I just checked their website and yes they are a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Send a registered letter and keep a copy...
    Not sure of what route you would take but would small claims be suitable if they persist in ignoring you?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Is it possible she was mated before you found her?

A stray in a car park would be an easy target, heat lasts 2-3 weeks or so I'm told, is there any chance the time line fits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A dog that used to come and stay with us mated accidentally (not here), owners took her to the vets and she had the injections, but she still had one puppy so, this far on in the pregnancy, I'd bear that in mind and keep an eye on her.

Vince32 wrote: »
    Is it possible she was mated before you found her?

A stray in a car park would be an easy target, heat lasts 2-3 weeks or so I'm told, is there any chance the time line fits?

Definitely not, we found her late Oct, kept her for about a month while keeping an eye on lost & found, then late Nov/early Dec we tried to get her spaded but thats when she went into heat, so had to wait until Jan.

She got the 2nd injection this morning, my partner said she was sick yesterday but by the time I got home from work she was her normal hyper self.

And also yesterday discovered the poor thing has worms, probably from catching mice in our house about two weeks ago, it's really not been her week. :(

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    Send a registered letter and keep a copy...
    Not sure of what route you would take but would small claims be suitable if they persist in ignoring you?

Hard to know if they would take it seriously, (small claims court) It would be impossible to prove that we didn't let her wander around the place.

Pity dogs can't speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

The poor little thing...

I really want to commend you for all the love and care you've given her, she's a lucky little lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 purejuice

Yeah my dog had the injection the morning after to and weeks later she was getting bigger, took her the vets and was told she was having two pups in the next week, ended uo she had one pup so keep this in mind that sometimes these injections do not work.

Advertisement