Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do unto others.... .. .

Options
  • 29-07-2015 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

Have we lost all grasp of this? I know it's a sappy bible quote but the meaning behind it does hold true. Reading that story about the lad being pushed off his bike and the people finding it funny, how would they find it if it were them falling on their hole? It seems like it's always funny when it's someone else in the thick of it.

But do you follow the " golden rule"? Do you not do things to others you wouldn't like done to you, treat others as you would like to be treated?

A lot of people it seems forget to ask themselves the question " "would I like it if it were done to me" when acting the ****. Are we becoming more selfish and apathetic as a result?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Oh god, this question. I can guarantee that someone will say that "do unto others" is pointless because we don't all feel the same way, someone else will say that it's essentially selfish and then a philosophical argument will erupt.

Before we hit that point though, yes, I agree with that phrase, I try to follow it and I don't think it's sappy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Sure, some people lack empathy.

But on the whole, most people want to treat each other well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

We're all inherently selfish, every last one of us.

Would I like someone to laugh at me being pushed off a bike? No. Would I understand that it looks funny? Yes. So people will laugh (I haven't watched the video so haven't laughed at it, FTR).

In general, I try to treat people the same way I'd like to be treated. Especially retail staff. I always make sure to smile, say please and thank you and all that, because on a bad day, having even one customer be nice can make your day better. :)

But there will always be times when I, and everyone else, says or does something not very nice. We're flawed and we're selfish people inherently. We just (most of us, anyway) work to hide that and think of others, have empathy and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Most people are decent. You only have to look at the response to things like that, its a small minority of people who think its funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

All fine and dandy until you have to use the Luas red line...

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But its brilliant in its simplicity and a good way to live your life and a good way of judging the morality of an issue. The reason some laughed at the video is because they don't see themselves in the place of he cyclist that was nearly killed.

Advertisement