Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you collect glasses at a bar?

• 28-07-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Sorry it's a stupid question..but there's a right way to do everything, right? Just want to know how to do it properly! I'm always holding them an awkward way that makes it easy for them to fall and break.. Do you stack them up or what?

Thanks !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What type of glasses? You can stack way more campus than flutes, but you can finger way more flutes than campuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

What type of glasses? You can stack way more campus than flutes, but you can finger way more flutes than campuses.

Like pint glasses, half glasses, normal glasses ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Sorry it's a stupid question..but there's a right way to do everything, right? Just want to know how to do it properly! I'm always holding them an awkward way that makes it easy for them to fall and break.. Do you stack them up or what?

Thanks !!

Go to specsavers;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Learn how to hold two pint glasses in one hand, both side by side and the bases of the glasses resting on your spread fingers, with your hand slightly cupped.
    Once you can do that, it makes everything a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,807 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Get a tray.
    Never put your fingers in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The only right way to do it involves not breaking many. You can do fancy collecting and stacking in an empty pub during the day. Different rules apply in a crowded bar with drunks tottering hither and thither - then it's just damage prevention.

Like pint glasses, half glasses, normal glasses ..

You need a good palm. Practice holding three glasses in the palm of your hand (two pint glasses) and then add in ones to it until you have a good handful. Then practice the same with a tray until you're able to carry a good fifty or sixty in one go. It's all about practice.

Normal glasses can be stacked, hand underneath bottom and have them resting on arm up to your shoulder.

So many different pint glass heights and shapes these days so easiest way is to use fingers

Where I come from, we're more concerned with hashing out drink than worrying about made up rules. :)

Are we talking about collecting or delivering?

Delivering-

3 half glasses resting in one palm or 2 hands around 3-4 pints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Take them off people's faces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Practice holding 4 glasses in 1 hand balancing one on each finger tip and using your palm as a back rest and your thumb as a counter balance.

One you've mastered this you can carry 70 or 80 glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

A ruck sack with some bubble wrap is the best way to get them outside unnoticed and unbroken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭ratracer

Get a tray.
    Never put your fingers in them.

Ah now, everybody needs to stick their fingers in cider at least once 😜

Are we talking about collecting or delivering?

Delivering-

3 half glasses resting in one palm or 2 hands around 3-4 pints.

Collecting as I said in the question up there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I'm a Lazy fuker, I just leave them

21/25

ratracer wrote: »
    Ah now, everybody needs to stick their fingers in cider at least once 😜

They're collected to be washed like, don't see why you can't put your fingers in em!!😂😂

Practice holding 4 glasses in 1 hand balancing one on each finger tip and using your palm as a back rest and your thumb as a counter balance.

One you've mastered this you can carry 70 or 80 glasses.
    I'm 17 and have thin fragile fingers no way hahaha

Collecting as I said in the question up there :)

Oops, perhaps I should stop drinking ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Consult your training manual.
    Section 1.a2. Ref: collecting glasses at bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

How do I collect glasses at a bar? I don't.

They bring it to my table

And if any of them have milk in them, fcuk them into either the kitchen or the bin. Nothing wrecks a glass like milk, even one in the dishwasher will contaminate the whole batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

What type of glasses? You can stack way more campus than flutes, but you can
    **""finger way more flutes""**
    than campuses.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

And if any of them have milk in them, fcuk them into either the kitchen or the bin. Nothing wrecks a glass like milk, even one in the dishwasher will contaminate the whole batch.

Just wondering what milk does to glasses?

sm213 wrote: »
    Just wondering what milk does to glasses?
    Lactic acid, kills a head worse than a person worse with rotten teeth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Long long ago in a foreign land I was told not to stack the glasses because of the danger of the bottom ones fracturing and inflicting bodily harm, the answer was to collect less of them but more often.

Exec summary, only lazy barstewards have a need to stack glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just use your fingers, they are going to be washed so it doesn't matter a damn. Do it regularly, any time you leave a table make sure there aren't any empty glasses left there.

Advertisement