Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting trapped in a lift

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would be slightly claustrophobic so I am careful about lifts I don't think you would be stuck for long nowadays, but its the claustrophobic bit that concerns me I force my self not to think about it you cant let it controlee you. I don't like the underground in London for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Getting trapped in a lift would not overly bother me.
    But in the years ago there used to be lifts that had no doors. Just a gate thing on the outside of the life on each floor. So you had to stand in the middle of the cabin.
    Trouble was that you then had the 'moving wall' effect which could make you very dizzy and disoriented.
    Like this.

I doubt any of this makes sense unless you have experienced it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I have never been stuck on a lift before but I have a very strong phobia about it.
    If I have to get in one I can (like high rise buildings or carrying/transporting heavy things) but I break out a cold sweat and get out as soon as the doors open.
    I know it can't fall down due to the break safety system, but even thinking about the doors suddenly slamming shut on you or anything, no thanks, rather take the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Jake1 wrote: »
    ,As a teenager in ballymun flats we regularly stopped lifts between floors and rode up and down.

Those Ballymun lifts were also ahead of their time for having toilets in them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In the movies they push open lift doors a lot too. Anyone know if this is another movie myth, or if lifts actually can have their doors pushed open by your average person without tools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Couple of weeks ago the set of apartment blocks I live in had a sudden power cut at 10.30pm, everything went dead, no emergency generators. There's at least 18 lifts in the complex and a nighttime engineering team of 2 maximum, neighboring high rises all had no power so resources were thin on the ground. With nothing better to do I went to bed, not the most comfortable as it was over 30 degrees outside and made even less comfortable by the screams and shouts coming from the lift which had stopped near my floor! Very glad I wasn't in one of the lifts, must have been horrid, minimal emergency light, sweltering temperature and a very slow response. Also very glad I live on the 5th floor of 36...assumed the complex had some sort of emergency generators that would at least power the lifts but it doesn't.

I think the link to a report on toilet facilities in Japanese lifts isn't such an odd idea, whilst listening to the screamers I was imagining what it would be like to be stuck in the lift and "have to go", especially a number 2! It's possible that it would all be on video and up on youtube for everyone's amusement before you'd even been rescued from the lift...

Did the screamers and shouters die ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Did the screamers and shouters die ?

I didn't see any reports, so assume they didn't or at least not many of them did...I do know that my attempts at an early night were further interrupted by people tramping up and down the emergency stairs (metal for fire safety) for the next couple of hours until the power came back on...

Menas wrote: »
    But in the years ago there used to be lifts that had no doors. Just a gate thing on the outside of the life on each floor. So you had to stand in the middle of the cabin.
    Trouble was that you then had the 'moving wall' effect which could make you very dizzy and disoriented.
    Like this.

I think that Paternoster linked at the end of the video is a much scarier prospect!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

One time, a madman trapped me and a bunch of work colleagues in a lift. We would have been doomed were it not for Keanu Reeves and Jeff Daniels showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Menas wrote: »
    Like this.

There's one of those lifts in the Village at Lyons, bringing you down to the lower restaurant area... Bit freaky watching the walls move!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well they can't fall, because of the Otis gravity-brake. The confinement can be a little disconcerting alright

Didn't a woman in a lift fall in the the Empire State Building when a plane crashed into it?

Actually I think she was already injured from the crash and they put her in a lift and the lift plunged 75 floors......and she SURVIVED :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,147 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I got trapped in a lift for 2 hours with a few friends and a load of americans - leaving Phaton of the Opera in the Venetian in vegas. It was slowly bumped all the way down to the basement. One lady had just had knee surgery so was in a jock by the end of it. One of the americans had told his wife to ring his lawyer. One girl fainted and her mother went mental, jabbering in Spanish. My other half tried to help, being a nurse, and after 15minutes of trying to calm her down (not speaking the language) it turned out one of the other idiots in the lift spoke spanish but didn't think it a pertinent skill at the time.

I got a glass of water and an apology. I asked for Blue Man Group tickets and got nowt. Bastids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

awec wrote: »
    In the movies they push open lift doors a lot too. Anyone know if this is another movie myth, or if lifts actually can have their doors pushed open by your average person without tools?

Ray Darcy (of all people) managed to do it in Spain, apparently:
    Ray D'Arcy reveals terror as toddler son was stuck in lift for 15 minutes

Ray D'Arcy has spoken of his panic when his two-year-old son got trapped in a lift while the family were on holiday in Spain.

Ray told his listeners yesterday how the couple were loading bags of shopping into the lift in the basement car park of the complex when Jenny jumped out to turn off their car engine when the doors closed.

Ray said that the manager eventually turned off the power to the lift on the suggestion of an English holidaymaker who was at the poolside.

He said he then ran and physically prised the doors open.

"It was like Superman stuff. I put my foot up against the wall and I pulled the door open and then there was the lift door," he said.

"I could hear Tom. The lift had gone up about two feet and stuck. It opened.

"That was the most emotional reunion.

"Tom was a bit distressed but we forced him back into it immediately."

"It was like Superman stuff" .. Some spoon :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

mariaalice wrote: »
    I would be slightly claustrophobic so I am careful about lifts I don't think you would be stuck for long nowadays, but its the claustrophobic bit that concerns me I force my self not to think about it you cant let it controlee you. I don't like the underground in London for the same reason.

This is exactly what I was about to post. I actually dislike the underground way more than lifts though.

Myself and ibarelycare got stuck in a lift for about 30 seconds in a hotel last year. The emergency phone thing didn't work and we'd no coverage on our phones to ring reception :eek: we told them when we eventually got moving and out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Don't know about all lifts but I got stuck in the lift in the arts block in UCD with a couple of others about 15 years ago and after half an hour of standing around being told that an engineer was coming I gave it a go and they opened fairly easily. Felt a bit sheepish at not having tried it sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Tom was a bit upset after getting trapped in the lift so we booted the little ****er back onto it cause reasons? Go D'Arcy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We were able to do that thankfully.

We had piled in with suitcases, baby, buggy after a trip away and the lift stopped between floors. Himself managed to pry the doors open and we wedged the suitcase in the opening, I climbed out, he handed me the baby, buggy, and everything else then got out himself.

A bit scary, but we had phone reception so my biggest immediate concern was feeding the baby if they got hungry and we were there for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭josip

Got stuck in a 4 person one last week with my wife, our son and nephew.
    We had a few bags with us as we were heading off and there wasn't much room in the lift.
    37 degrees outside, probably around 32-33 inside the building and inside the lift with its silver shiny walls things felt warm.
    Thankfully the lift phone to the external service company worked and 15 minutes later we were freed.
    Wouldn't have like to be in there much longer being responsible for 2 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

The thoughts of getting stuck in a lift make me feel sick!!

I have never go stuck but every time I get in a lift, I hold my breath. People tell me face your fear, but I don't know.....

I don't how those people manage in somewhere like New York with their 44th Floor apartment building etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I dont think it would bother me if I got stuck but my sister wouldn't even get into a lift if you gave her a million euros

I know a man who refuses point blank to get on an escalator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't how those people manage in somewhere like New York with their 44th Floor apartment building etc!!

The tried the stairs once and immediately overcame their fear of lifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What a stupid c*nt ... I'd leave her in there for 2 days ...

Thinking of taking the escalator instead after reading this thread? Think again...http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/27/china/chinese-mother-killed-escalator/

Advertisement