Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your favourite subject in school?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

My favourite subjects were English and History, though I liked Biology a lot too. I ended up studying History and Classics in college and I loved it, I mean I'm qualified for absolutely nothing but it was interesting all the same.

I have to think of this song now:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Geography. I loved it so much that I studied it at college and pursued a career in a closely related field.

Where was this field? Is it a nice field? How many cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

English and History were my two favourites.

I wish I'd studied them at third level, but there was a stupid, fashionable aversion to doing Arts at the time. In fact, I assume that hasn't changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

My favourite was goin on the Hop, had this every Thursday and Friday

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Geography and History

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Art. Even the theory side of things! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

English definitely. Once I hit 3rd year it came pretty naturally. I loved reading and writing anyway so no study was involved :)
    Closely followed by Chemistry. Breaking Bad inspired me to do it for the leaving ( I know, how dumb) and went on to study science in college. Always found it really easy too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Languages came easy to me...Loved accountancy..
    Interesting reading how teachers can be so influential in the love/success in a subject:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Loved history, good at geography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

History and geography.

Until we got to the LC cycle. Recent Irish history is ...I'm afraid both boring and depressing. You'd think it shouldn't be boring, but it really was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Samaris wrote: »
    History and geography.

Until we got to the LC cycle. Recent Irish history is ...I'm afraid both boring and depressing. You'd think it shouldn't be boring, but it really was.

Haha yep, we had the exact same problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Art: I always loved it!
    geography- osi map reading was my favourite and learning about what's under our feet and how rain circulates!
    IT - I learned more in 1 year about computers than I did in all primary school and other secondary subjects!!

hated:
    maths: couldn't follow wtf it all ment! Pie? Yes you find that in shops!

history: I couldn't care less who did what and who took what country!

Irish and other languages: wtf are you saying? I speak English, not giberish!

home ec: can't cook and don't care about carbs or metabolism!

and PE.- no, I don't want to run around and put the ball in the net. What's the point!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

PE was another favourite of mine actually. School has a €4m sports facility but it took me five years to refuse to play any more football (was all we ever did, literally). Started off with track practice and then I started teaching the smokers hurling.

Funnily they threatened to suspend me for that but never did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Art was my best subject, loved it and was naturally quite good at it.
    Was very good at Irish too although I didn't really enjoy it and never really put much effort in it. Always got As and Bs in it. Remember writing those situations to talk about in the orals for leaving cert, and it was something I found very easy, and was well able to hold a conversation and answer questions.

I was awful at German and French though. Took German for a year and no joke, still couldn't count to ten for the summer exams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Art was my best subject, loved it and was naturally quite good at it.
    Was very good at Irish too although I didn't really enjoy it and never really put much effort in it. Always got As and Bs in it. Remember writing those situations to talk about in the orals for leaving cert, and it was something I found very easy, and was well able to hold a conversation and answer questions.

I was awful at German and French though. Took German for a year and no joke, still couldn't count to ten for the summer exams
    Sorry, this is an appallingly un-scientific survey on my part, but in my experience, the people who studied German were almost invariably bad at Irish (or as in your example, vice versa).

In my school, the German class was practically synonymous with the pass-Irish class.

Whereas Hons French, Hons Spanish and Hons Irish were positively associated with one another.

Is there some linguistic reason for this? Or just my school/ my imagination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

English, bar the poetry and woodwork even though I was and still am absolutely useless at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

..... as well as speaking Irish at home we were taught Latin, and then I learned Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, did French for the LC, learned Polish in the last couple of years and I keep meaning to get around to learning German at some stage :)

:o

Fair play to you that's very impressive.

I learned Italian as a mature student. My Italian is passable in so far as I can understand the news headlines and order in a restaurant.

I did try to learn a little Polish. It's a difficult language to master.

I learned German for one year. Longest year of my life.:D

Be easier to name ones I didn't like! Irish. I hated learning Irish. Yet I wish I could speak it fluently :(

Wasn't bothered with history either. That's changed as I've gotten older.

I was brilliant at English so I enjoyed that. I wasn't brilliant at Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, but I absolutely loved them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

History.

Always have been fascinated by historical events. I love documentaries and educational challenge like discovery and history channel and would read up on history at my own time which made history class a delight to attend instead of he'll like irish and maths

Shame the subject has no advantages in adult like unlike subjects that can get you a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

MarkY91 wrote: »
    History.

Always have been fascinated by historical events. I love documentaries and educational challenge like discovery and history channel and would read up on history at my own time which made history class a delight to attend instead of he'll like irish and maths

Shame the subject has no advantages in adult like unlike subjects that can get you a job

I think a good knowledge of history makes you a better rounded person.
    Someone who knows and understands history well can be a very interesting conversationalist IMO...feck all use in the job market though.

My favorite subjects were physics and maths. The old dyslexia was seen a stupidity when I was growing up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Geography. I loved it . Got an A in both Junior cert and leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

History and Religion, both of which I did for LC. They overlapped a lot more than you'd think. I was really good at English too, essay writing came very naturally to me. Economics was pretty interesting too.

Maths, on the other hand... I was getting grinds in Pass :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

My favourites would have been Biology, History and Tech Drawing. And picking a favourite from those three, then History would just pip it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Menas wrote: »
    I think a good knowledge of history makes you a better rounded person.
    Someone who knows and understands history well can be a very interesting conversationalist IMO...feck all use in the job market though.

My favorite subjects were physics and maths. The old dyslexia was seen a stupidity when I was growing up!

Yeah you're right. Just in the job market it's doing feck all for me.

I think my history loving makes me more open minded to different cultures as I know why they're dhfferent etc

Any history buffs here should watch "the story of us" like a 12 part documentary on well..US..fascinating if you love history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

I liked them all except Maths,really struggled with it, i miss school.

Advertisement