Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten and dog?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

We had a cat for over 10 years up until 2 years ago. Around 4 years ago we got our dog, a golden retriever. They got on fine, the cat was the boss :P
    I'd love to get another kitten. The only problem is my dog. He is quite big and very clingy! He won't even go outside and will open doors to get as far inside as possible (is allowed inside but not past a certain area although that has long been passed). He is my baby and I love him to pieces. If I don't pet him straight away, he will sit, then start pawing me and sometimes will put both paws up. He will keep nudging for attention or else move to someone else. If I hug another person (to see how he would react) while saying their name in the same tone as I do for him, everything the same, he will come over and try and get in. He does get a bit jealous!
    So I don't really know whether to get a kitten or not. He is huge and I would be so scared of him frightening her to death, trampling over her or just eating her or something! I also am really worried about whether he would be jealous or not. As I said, he's my baby and I give him the most attention etc and would be worried if this would cause problems with the kitten.
    I know he could be trained to get along with her but I don't want him to be upset (sorry if this sounds weird) or jealous or like I'm replacing him or for him to cause harm to the kitten.
    What do you think?
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Might be an idea to work on the dog first, it's not good for him to be so clingy - like having a child, you have to encourage some independence. Otherwise he will suffer if you have to board him, or if you got sick. It would probably be helpful for him to learn he has to share attention with the cat, but make sure you've got him to a point where he won't be a danger to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Once you supervise them together and don't leave them alone for a number of weeks I don't think this should be a problem. Only thing to consider is some kittens are a bit nuts when playing - will your dog be OK with this?

For what it's worth we have done both - introduced a kitten to a dog and later introduced a pup to the older cat. Once you take it carefully and don't show preference - ie no favourites it can work out quite well. In both cases both sets of animals bonded very strongly to the other.

Best of luck.

Advertisement