Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smaller house - new planning permission needed?

Options
  • 28-05-2015 1:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread/location...

We have planning to build a 2,000 sq-ft bungalow on a site I own. We have been unable to get a mortgage as my other half owns a house that's in negative equity. There's no issue with both of us being in permanent, full-time positions, proven repayment capacity, savings, etc.

Anyway, we were going through the numbers (again!) the other night, and between what we've saved and a personal loan (25k) from the Credit Union, we'd have 80k to spend.

Now, we're thinking about building a 800-1,000 sq-ft bungalow which the 80k would cover (based on estimates I've got from two different builders).

Two questions then:

(1) Does this sound daft/reasonable?

(2) Would we have to go through the planning process again, or could we submit an amendment to the current planning permission we have for the 2,000 sq-ft house?

Thanks for reading, and any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

80k would be very very tight for that size house. Make sure you include all other expenses,- supervision fees, legal fees, development charges, connection charges, etc, etc.
    Also ensure that builder is pricing for a house that will comply with building regs- this can only be specified by the supervising engineer/architect/surveyor.

You would require planning permission to revise the previously approved plans, this will also have a cost! The planning application would be more straight forward than the original application but the procedure will be largely the same (allow 3 months for final grant)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You need a new planning application.
    Assigned certified.
    Design certified.
    Health and safety representation ( but these 3 could in theory be the same person/company).

Then you need to build the house to current building regulations. I have to be honest. I think 80k in nowhere near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

As kceire says above, and I agree with him that 80k is anywhere near enough

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for taking the time to reply folks.

I'll certainly take on board the extra costs (outside of the actual building) that you raised.

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to reply folks.

I'll certainly take on board the extra costs (outside of the actual building) that you raised.

Best of luck. Keep us updated on the progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 county5

Hi how did u get on? I originally got planning 6 years ago for a 4,500 sq ft house & now know a house half this size will be plenty for me. I'm just wondering how to go about getting planning for a totally different house & cut out my expensive architect as I have a certain house in mind.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,082 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

county5 wrote: »
    Hi how did u get on? I originally got planning 6 years ago for a 4,500 sq ft house & now know a house half this size will be plenty for me. I'm just wondering how to go about getting planning for a totally different house & cut out my expensive architect as I have a certain house in mind.

use a less expensive architect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 county5

Thanks for your help einstein

county5 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help einstein

In fairness, its the obvious choice.
    I want to downgrade my BMW, so I buy a cheaper car.

You could look at Technicians but depending on location, the face time with planners, roads, drainage etc required to gain permission for a new dwelling can make it not financially worthwhile for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Howdy again,

We submitted the updated, smaller plans about 3 weeks ago, so it'll be another 5 weeks before we hear back, and then 4 weeks after that before planning is officially granted (all going well!).

We didn't have to go through the full planning process, but we had to include details of the original planning. We went with the same technician as last time as he knew the ins and outs of what we were doing.

Now, as then, we went with a fairly standard design and don't expect too much difficulty with planning being approved (famous last words?)

The results from the original percolation tests were accepted this time around so that saved some time and money.

Re costs and certification: I spoke to an engineer just last week and we're going to go with the self-certified/opt-out option. Part of the reason is cost and part of the reason is the amount of work I'll be doing myself.

Hope this helps. Any questions, just send me a PM.

By the way, does your original planning still stand after 6 years? I thought most planning permissions are valid for 5 years.

Advertisement