Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ventilation

• 25-10-2012 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to C & P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You should contact the manufacturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Aereco do a few setups, I had looked at their products and got some quotes for the Mechanical Ventilation. It basically extracts from the wet rooms (Bathrooms, Utility and Kitchen) and allows intake into rooms through individual Smart vents.

They also have systems that allow for smart exhaust vents and don't have any mechanical aspects to the system.

I have originally wanted to go with a HRV system but a decent system was about €6000, so I started looking DCV (Demand Controlled Ventilation) and the price for the mechanical system with Aereco for my house which is about 2,600 sqft was about €3500 including ducting.

I ended up with PIV (Positive Input Ventilation) which still extracts from the wet rooms using a variable extraction unit that detects humidity and boost as required e.g. when someone is having a shower in a bathroom. The input is via one source from the attic over the stairs which takes air from the Attic where it is usually about 4c warmer than outside and also had a built in element heater for when the attic drops below 4c. The cost of this system is about €2400.

If you need any more info just ask, I'll be posting photos of ducting shortly in the live builds thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 mrsloftus

Can you pm details please including who installs the system? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Villain wrote: »
    Aereco do a few setups, I had looked at their products and got some quotes for the Mechanical Ventilation. It basically extracts from the wet rooms (Bathrooms, Utility and Kitchen) and allows intake into rooms through individual Smart vents.

They also have systems that allow for smart exhaust vents and don't have any mechanical aspects to the system.

I have originally wanted to go with a HRV system but a decent system was about €6000, so I started looking DCV (Demand Controlled Ventilation) and the price for the mechanical system with Aereco for my house which is about 2,600 sqft was about €3500 including ducting.

I ended up with PIV (Positive Input Ventilation) which still extracts from the wet rooms using a variable extraction unit that detects humidity and boost as required e.g. when someone is having a shower in a bathroom. The input is via one source from the attic over the stairs which takes air from the Attic where it is usually about 4c warmer than outside and also had a built in element heater for when the attic drops below 4c. The cost of this system is about €2400.

If you need any more info just ask, I'll be posting photos of ducting shortly in the live builds thread

Hi could you pm me the details of the system your going with. From looking at the web, the units seem to come in at £250 - £350 or there abouts. Maybe the one at over 2k has more elements to it?

• Advertisement

There is two aspects to the system an extraction unit and an input unit. The ducting and labour make up a lot of cost, which you could do yourself if you had the skills. Contact Beam they will put you in contact with the local rep.

There is two aspects to the system an extraction unit and an input unit. The ducting and labour make up a lot of cost, which you could do yourself if you had the skills. Contact Beam they will put you in contact with the local rep.

Thanks for that, will check it out. I was thinking of the Drimaster PIV system, which seems to be only a single loft unit, which explains the cost difference. You don't mind me asking the exact model you went with and how exactly your system is setup. I take it that you need an extract from every bathroom/ensuite/utility/kitchen (how many wet rooms do you have on your setup?) and some sort of controlled input through special wall/window vents?

From what I read about the Drimaster, I think it feeds air down from the loft and the air is then expelled through gaps and vents. But does this system work different, where the system in the loft expels the air?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, will check it out. I was thinking of the Drimaster PIV system, which seems to be only a single loft unit, which explains the cost difference. You don't mind me asking the exact model you went with and how exactly your system is setup. I take it that you need an extract from every bathroom/ensuite/utility/kitchen (how many wet rooms do you have on your setup?) and some sort of controlled input through special wall/window vents?

From what I read about the Drimaster, I think it feeds air down from the loft and the air is then expelled through gaps and vents. But does this system work different, where the system in the loft expels the air?
    I don't know the models off hand. Yes the system extracts from the wet rooms, I have 6 wet rooms in my house. The input system is the loft unit outlined at http://www.beamcentralsystems.com/ventilation-systems/positive-input-piv/product-range

You need a gap under the door of each room as per most systems.

I don't know the models off hand. Yes the system extracts from the wet rooms, I have 6 wet rooms in my house. The input system is the loft unit outlined at http://www.beamcentralsystems.com/ventilation-systems/positive-input-piv/product-range

You need a gap under the door of each room as per most systems.

Thanks again, does the unit in the loft input the air from the loft to the house and also take care of the extraction through the roof or is the air expelled through wall mounted extraction units?

Sorry for the questions,but there's not a terrible lot on their website.

Thanks again, does the unit in the loft input the air from the loft to the house and also take care of the extraction through the roof or is the air expelled through wall mounted extraction units?

Sorry for the questions,but there's not a terrible lot on their website.
    The unit in that link only inputs the air from the loft, there is a separate unit that extracts the air from the wet rooms. The website only covers the input unit. I can get the model of the extraction unit later if you want.

• Advertisement

The unit in that link only inputs the air from the loft, there is a separate unit that extracts the air from the wet rooms. The website only covers the input unit. I can get the model of the extraction unit later if you want.

Yes that would be great to get that info, thanks.

Just a final question on the extract, does the extract unit take the air up to the attic and then out through the roof?

Yup the ducting all comes back to the attic and then there is one exhaust duct that exits via the gable with a vent on the wall.

Yup the ducting all comes back to the attic and then there is one exhaust duct that exits via the gable with a vent on the wall.

Must say that sounds like a good system. I know they will say HRV is the bee's knees,but this sounds like a very good lower cost alternative.Much much better than the hole in the wall or trickle vents.

I would be interested to hear what triggers the system. Are there some sort of sensors that do this, or is there constant air coming and going from the building.Again sorry for being a pain with all these questions.

Must say that sounds like a good system. I know they will say HRV is the bee's knees,but this sounds like a very good lower cost alternative.Much much better than the hole in the wall or trickle vents.

I would be interested to hear what triggers the system. Are there some sort of sensors that do this, or is there constant air coming and going from the building.Again sorry for being a pain with all these questions.
    There are humidity sensors in the extraction unit that ramp it up when humidity levels increase e.g. when someone is having a shower. There is also a switch on the wall that allows you to boost the system.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at systems and when I had to exclude HRV due to costs this looked the best option to me.

There are humidity sensors in the extraction unit that ramp it up when humidity levels increase e.g. when someone is having a shower. There is also a switch on the wall that allows you to boost the system.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at systems and when I had to exclude HRV due to costs this looked the best option to me.

Hopefully you get good results from this. I will PM you once I get closer to that stage and see how your getting on with it then. Many thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 simon334

Hi Siimon here <snip>

Good luck with the work.

Just a short note on the room with fire. Regardless of the system you choose make sure you put a Part J compliant vent in this room.

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭olympicweights

Has anyone any experience of the Lunos e2?

They are in the wall vents with heat recovery that work in pairs, the motors reverse direction every 70 seconds so while one is drawing in fresh air the other is extracting stale air.

I am looking for a ventilation solution for a 48m2 open plan kitchen living area. Any info/feedback would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lowkeys

I looked into HRV when building my house and then came across demand controlled ventilation and decided to go with that due to installation costs and even the work involved at installation and the maintanance costs.
    If you are doing a retrofit then demand controlled ventilation may work better as there is less ducting required.
    I went with the aereco system and am really happy with the individual room vents. I've been keeping an eye on them and they do work well.
    Have fans for the bathrooms, kitchen and utility and while the rooms are always fresh so no complaints there, the fans do run constantly so i'm not completely convinced these are the best. I dont understand why the fan needs to run at night. The rep did say to us the system works best on an airtight house. During the summer i'm a believer in open windows and doors so actually turned off the fans and had the window on the latch instead and the doors open when i was at home so no need for the fans.
    I'd speak to the technical guys of whatever system you are looking at though - they are usually very helpful.

Thanks for the info. The reason I am interested in the lunos is that there is no ducting required as they vent directly out the wall. I have seen a price though of ~$1200 for the pair and controller but I can't find a supplier in Ireland yet. There is a website for a supplier in Cork but I tried the no. and emailed but no reply.

I had looked at the humidity sensitive Aereco vents but I need a system with a motor and ideally without ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 s0lomon

Hi,

I am very interested in this thread as I am just about to start a retrofit with a high level of air-tightness and insulation.

Based on my own research I am fairly keen on Aereco system and was strongly considering it. Surprised by lowkeys comment that the fans in the bathrooms even run at night. Anybody else have this issue with Aereco? Can they be turned off manually? Did you get any explanation for this, lowkeys?

Have to admit that I hadn't heard of Lunos before reading this thread. Anybody got a good reason to go for their DCV system over Aereco?

Thanks
    s0lomon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 simon334

s0lomon wrote: »
    Hi,

I am very interested in this thread as I am just about to start a retrofit with a high level of air-tightness and insulation.

Based on my own research I am fairly keen on Aereco system and was strongly considering it. Surprised by lowkeys comment that the fans in the bathrooms even run at night. Anybody else have this issue with Aereco? Can they be turned off manually? Did you get any explanation for this, lowkeys?

Have to admit that I hadn't heard of Lunos before reading this thread. Anybody got a good reason to go for their DCV system over Aereco?

Thanks
    s0lomon

The systems that you are talking about are Continuous Mechanical Ventilation Systems with demand control, This means weather they are Centralized like Aereco's or decentralized like Lunos they run all the time.

With Continuous ventilation the average air change in the house while always present is lower because it is always on and you can rely on it being there.

If you turn it off, or it turns off itself. It effectively falls under the intermittent extraction which is a very different thing.

The fans in all the systems consume a negligible amount of electricity. So do not be concerned about running cost. If you can get your head around the difference between continuous and intermittent systems you will understand why the are always on. The advantage of Demand control in these systems is that the fan/fans consumption and the amount of extracted air is always being adjusted to minimize the ventilated heat loss over and above what a fixed system would.

Just to follow up on my previous post I made contact with the Lunos supplier in Cork and the 2 * e2 units with heat recovery and controller would be approx. €880 supplied versus ~€400 for a fresh air inlet wall vent and extractor unit.
    The main issue for me is whether the latter would cause a draft pulling the external cool air from one side of the room to the extractor unit at the other as Lunos suggest placement of the inlet vent close to a heat source to preheat the incoming air which is not an option for me.

Thanks for the comments Simon334.

I understand that Aereco is a continuous system.

Regarding the fans in the wetrooms being continuously in operation (lowkeys comment), it is not the running cost that I am concerned about. I am wondering if there is always a (low) noise from the extracts.

Another query you may be able to help with. Installing the vents in an externally insulated wall. Obviously a hole has to be put in the wall / insulation. How well is the kit designed so as not to badly compromise the airtightness / insulation of the build?

Thanks
    s0lomon

Yes there is always a low noise from the fans. Having said that though it is much lower than your standard bathroom fan (which i am guessing is what you are imagining) and can only be heard when you listen out for it.

We have 2 fans a V2 which takes the 2 bathrooms upstairs and i never hear that one. There is a larger V4 fan downstairs which takes the downstairs bathroom, kitchen and utility. This only got connected a few months ago and for the first few days i did hear it but dont at all now.

On the whole i do think it is a good system particularly the wall vents in the dry rooms direct to the outside. My other half wasnt at all convinced when i first started looking at the system but is won over now.

There shouldnt be any issue sealing around the hole in the wall with an airtight tape if you are retrofitting. I think Simon334 answered your query regarding the continuous running of the fans better than i could have.

Hi lowkeys

Thanks for the post.

Any reason that you don't have the fans in the attic? Ducting issue?

s0lomon

@Lowkeys

I'm also looking at the possibility of using a V2 fan for a kitchen and bathroom on the ground floor and in the future another in the attic for upstairs bathrooms. Did you install it yourself as I hope to do so? If you did install it, did you encounter any problems? Thanks.

We have the upstairs fan in the attic and the kitchen fan in an unused space we have above the kitchen ceiling. Both fans then have a duct joining upto a vent tile in the roof. Neither of the fans are in rooms but there is still a low hum which as i said isn't noticeable after a few days it is about the same noise level that you would get from a fridge or freezer.

The system is very easy to install yourself. I sent aereco my house drawings and they sketched up the route for me and gave me a list of ducting fittings that i would need so i just ordered them. Once they are all sealed with duct tape or an airtight tape there is no issue. I seem to remember we got a good ducting practise information sheet from Aereco and i'll see if i can dig this out and can pm it to you if you need it. One thing you will need near the fans is a power supply to plug them in but other than that installation is common sense.

Hope this is of some help and just ask if you have any more questions

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭joeirish

Just came across this thread while searching online for Lunos. Does anybody have the Lunos systems installed so that they can give some practical feedback on how they work.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Benviewboy

Hi lowkeys; how has the Aereco system worked out a few after the installation?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Benviewboy,

The system is still working for us with no issues. If i had to do it again then yes i would. After 3+ years in the house i don't really notice it (or think about it anymore) which i can only assume is a good thing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

lowkeys wrote: »
    Hi Benviewboy,

The system is still working for us with no issues. If i had to do it again then yes i would. After 3+ years in the house i don't really notice it (or think about it anymore) which i can only assume is a good thing at this stage.

sorry for updating old thread.
    mine is in and functional close to 5 years. ZERO issues. i clean the fan out once a year with vacuum. its a very simple concept. and works well for Ireland i think. its only being off for possibly 1 hour in 5 years total...(for cleaning!)
    mine is hanging in the attic. cant hear it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭little_monty

Hi all,
    Just wondering if having DCV negates the need to have a cooker extractor fan in the kitchen?

Hi all,
    Just wondering if having DCV negates the need to have a cooker extractor fan in the kitchen?

No
    You need a dedicated mechanical extract from cooker, a supplier of DCv should be able to advise.

There are recirculation units, but if this is a new build, look at mvhr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

BryanF wrote: »
    No
    You need a dedicated mechanical extract from cooker, a supplier of DCv should be able to advise.

There are recirculation units, but if this is a new build, look at mvhr.

agreed. they all advise a dedicated out, or carbon filter on your hood. i dont think any MVHR or DC would take the grease filled air from cooker.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,
    an older thread alright :)

with the Aereco system, is it extracting heated air constantly ?
    Is it a very low extraction, pulling moisture laden air from rooms to extraction points ?
    And in a morning - are your bedrooms cold ? where the moisture controller vents were open and outside cold air has been pulled in all night. just curious.

Thanks

Am planning to retrofit my external walls & windows (currently same temp as outside - cavity block ) and really need some sort of HR or DCV.

k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭SeanElec1

Has anyone any experience of the Lunos e2?

They are in the wall vents with heat recovery that work in pairs, the motors reverse direction every 70 seconds so while one is drawing in fresh air the other is extracting stale air.

I am looking for a ventilation solution for a 48m2 open plan kitchen living area. Any info/feedback would be appreciated.

Hi, following from your post 6 years ago, did you use the Lunos. I'm looking at it for a bedroom and en-suite, retrofit. Curious to kow if it was satisfactory, reliable, noisy, effective, etc.
    Regards, Sean

Mod note:

Sean
    Please stop grave digging old threads. That’s 3 this morning in the same topic. Please just start a new thread.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement