Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design Courses Dublin???

Options
  • 07-01-2012 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I am a Graphic Designer with a little bit of experience in Web and I'm thinking of doing the Dynamic Web Applications course part time in Griffith and I was just wondering had anyone done it previously and if so did they have any feedback on it and whether they would recommend it??

Or Alternatively, does anyone know of any good web design courses out there?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    user_online.gifreport.gif edit.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eoghanhickey

I don't know much about the course in Griffith, but the big issue with part time/short courses is that they usually can't really cover that much. Nothing against them, just an opinion.

If you don't wish to commit to another degree, and self directed learning suits you, I'd recommend that you consider cutting your teeth on the Lynda training videos (HTML & CSS to start, with a dash of PHP). They're great for teaching technical skills, if you can get past the American accents.

It's also worth checking out a list apart. This is more of a resource for the actual process (the why over the how). I'd consider their books essential reading, written in a clear and concise manner.

I presume that you are looking at getting into front end web design, given your design background?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mulchester

I don't know much about the course in Griffith, but the big issue with part time/short courses is that they usually can't really cover that much. Nothing against them, just an opinion.

If you don't wish to commit to another degree, and self directed learning suits you, I'd recommend that you consider cutting your teeth on the Lynda training videos (HTML & CSS to start, with a dash of PHP). They're great for teaching technical skills, if you can get past the American accents.

It's also worth checking out a list apart. This is more of a resource for the actual process (the why over the how). I'd consider their books essential reading, written in a clear and concise manner.

I presume that you are looking at getting into front end web design, given your design background?

Thanks for the reply eoghanhickey, yes its probably more the front end that I want to get in to at least to begin with anyway. I've actually been doing some of the tutorials on lynda to try get up 2 scratch with Dreamweaver and have found them really good but I was thinking about doing a part time course to try to get a solid foundation in HTML,CSS, PHP and Javascript and build on that then.

Those books look really good as well I think I'll be getting them. Are you a web designer yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mulchester

p wrote: »

Thanks P, I'll look into that

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eoghanhickey

I'm a web designer in training, in the final year of a degree in Digital Media. I think that course in Mad Art looks good, and it could act as a great motivator if you are willing to put the extra time in.

HTML & CSS can be very frustrating in the beginning. Personally, I've found you retain the code better when you write the code without the aide of Dreamweaver (using textmate, or equivalent).

• Advertisement
Advertisement