Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU wants iPlayer access extended across Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

I REALLY hope this happens, it would be fantastic to be able to use iPlayer without having to jump through hoops all of the time. I wouldn't hiold my breadth though as I'm sure broadcasters will be strongly against it :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The whole concept of geoblocking really is against the spirit of the single market. But people need to understand what would happen if geoblocking were removed is - it is that broadcasters in Ireland (and possibly Malta) would have to compete in the UK rights market. It would make acquiring rights to US shows and sporting events so expensive as to be prohibitive.

The BBC seem to imply that what would be under consideration would be allowing citizens of particular countries access to watch their home countries services while abroad, rather than a wholesale abandonment of geoblocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

actually, the iplayer already has this functionality already part built in, in that you can download programmes in the UK and play them when abroad.
    Previously you had to initiate the first play in the UK, but now you only need to download it in the UK, so the player in a sense acknowledges the show was sourced when in the UK and playing abroad is no longer a problem.
    Moving that one step further to allowing shows to be sourced on demand after departure is just another step in allowing the home audience access to shows that they have paid for.

other services on the continent like napster (streaming music similar to spotify) allow full streaming use abroad for 30 days or so of your home country catalogue, so something along what seems to be proposed by the bbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They EU might want to but I doubt a majority of member states would agree:
    - Member states and their population might have legitimate concerns about their residents funding public broadcasters through TV license, and then making content freely available to foreign residents who didn't chip in.
    - As mentioned by a previous poster it would mean broadcasters would have to purchase EU wide rights to bring content to views. Basically RTE would not have the budget to compete with British, French, or German broadcasters and coukld not show any major global sporting event or TV series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Be great if this happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement