Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is planning permission required for ensuite in attic

Options
  • 25-05-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭

As the thread title says, if I was to put an ensuite in my attic would I be required to turn it into habitable space and thus have to obtain planning permission?

I've noticed a number of attic conversion sites saying they can convert the attic & put in an ensuite. However having talked to a couple, only one mentioned that I'd need to get planning permission (typically it was the last one i talked with). none of the others mentioned this being an issue

so I'm wondering if its a requirement? Appreciate that it would add quite a bit of cost to the project if that was required (conforming to building & fire safety regs etc) and a lot of time too.

ALSO if I were to change the downstairs toilet from being a wheelchair accessible toilet to a smaller (understairs) space, does anybody know if that would have any issues in the future should we decide to sell up (eg not meeting accessibility requirements)?

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭daheff

YES

to attic & downstairs toilet, or just attic?

thanks btw

If you place sanitary accomodation in the attic you can not then pretend it is a storage area.
    Well you can.
    But then you would be breaking the law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Providing the enquire would be concrete proof that the room is habitable. But to be honest most building control officers should be insisting on the full riggers of the regulations once you open up the room and provide a fixed staircase. In that case an enquire makes no difference.

With regards to the downstairs toilet, you would be breaching the building control regulations/act by removing an accessible WC and basically making the Part M provisions of your dwelling worse.

daheff wrote: »
    ALSO if I were to change the downstairs toilet from being a wheelchair accessible toilet to a smaller (understairs) space, does anybody know if that would have any issues in the future should we decide to sell up (eg not meeting accessibility requirements)?

Yes. Bigtime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

If you place sanitary accomodation in the attic you can not then pretend it is a storage area.
    Well you can.
    But then you would be breaking the law.

Shock horror. Everyone does it. I know of countless people who stated on the planning the first floor was 'storage' but when it comes to build its full bedrooms etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ruskin wrote: »
    Shock horror. Everyone does it. I know of countless people who stated on the planning the first floor was 'storage' but when it comes to build its full bedrooms etc.

did you not get the answer you wanted?

Everyone does not do it. For those tempted though I have known such people you call "everyone" whinge like babies when their house sale fell through over such things. One case was a re mortgage for a small business loan with the house as collateral. "Everyone does it" did not help. Shock horror is right.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

We obey the law in this forum, read the forum charter before posting again thanks

Everyone does not do it. For those tempted though I have known such people you call "everyone" whinge like babies when their house sale fell through over such things. One case was a re mortgage for a small business loan with the house as collateral. "Everyone does it" did not help. Shock horror is right.

Just this week I seen a home owner being refused a home loan from PTSB for a small,extension due to the attic conversion that had no planning. He was told to go and regularise it.

Fact of the matter is now, he has to lodge for retention, await the 3 month process and will miss his preferred builders slot so may not have the simple extension complete by Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Am a bit puzzled here:
    If you convert the upstairs in a 1990's dormer bungalow, in most cases, if the roof line is not changed the bedrooms will fail the 2.4m height test so when the houses are being sold the attic is described as storage as the spaces fail the build regs, but applying for planning was never on the agenda.
    Is an ensuite a habitable room?

In the PTSB situation described above if it fails the planning application, whats the remedy: board it all up?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Am a bit puzzled here:
    If you convert the upstairs in a 1990's dormer bungalow, in most cases, if the roof line is not changed the bedrooms will fail the 2.4m height test so when the houses are being sold the attic is described as storage as the spaces fail the build regs, but applying for planning was never on the agenda.
    Is an ensuite a habitable room?

In the PTSB situation described above if it fails the planning application, whats the remedy: board it all up?

It had a fixed staircase, bathroom, no fire provisions, and I'm guessing the clincher is......a dormer window to the side elevation!

Also, n the case of converting a bungalow, you are only creating a 2 storey house, simple to do. Converting a 2 storey into a 3 storey house has a few more rules that must be followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Only problem you can have is if You try to sell it, ut hten You can take off sanitary stuff and make it a storage!
    While you living in no one cares what you do there as long as it's safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kceire wrote: »
    It had a fixed staircase, bathroom, no fire provisions, and I'm guessing the clincher is......a dormer window to the side elevation!

Also, n the case of converting a bungalow, you are only creating a 2 storey house, simple to do. Converting a 2 storey into a 3 storey house has a few more rules that must be followed.

Thanks, missed the idea that it from 2 to 3 storey, which I understand 100%
    Only problem you can have is if You try to sell it, ut hten You can take off sanitary stuff and make it a storage!
    While you living in no one cares what you do there as long as it's safe!

It will invalidate your fire insurance

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

No planning permission required is no dormer going on. Velux must be to the rear. To be a habitable space the loft conversion must comply with building regulations only in this case as the conversion is exempted development.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 miseannmarie

When submitting planning permission for a new build, must the newspaper notice be submitted with application or can it be forwarded at a later date?

When submitting planning permission for a new build, must the newspaper notice be submitted with application or can it be forwarded at a later date?

At the same time. The newspaper notice must be dated within the last 14 days before lodgement.

Advertisement