Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skirting & Architrave

Options
  • 27-05-2015 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

It'll soon be time to pick skirting and architrave for house.
    Looking for a white finish which from talking to a few carpenters usually means painted MDF if on tight budget, or painted poplar which is more expensive (although not sure on exact costs).

I've lived in a few houses with painted wood finishes and all whites looked faded. Would like to avoid that if possible and def. want to avoid having to paint every few years.

Anyone any ideas...
    I did see PVC skirting on googles but not researched it at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭cyfac

Looking for a white finish which from talking to a few carpenters usually means painted MDF if on tight budget, or painted poplar which is more expensive (although not sure on exact costs).

I've lived in a few houses with painted wood finishes and all whites looked faded. Would like to avoid that if possible and def. want to avoid having to paint every few years.

Anyone any ideas...

French Cream is the colour to use NOT white you might think sure white is white but its not seeing is believing get a tester of the cream and you will see a decided difference it lasts years and ages very well

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

cyfac wrote: »
    French Cream is the colour to use NOT white you might think sure white is white but its not seeing is believing get a tester of the cream and you will see a decided difference it lasts years and ages very well

Thanks cyfac. I'm more looking for material suggestions as opposed to colour finish as that will be down to individual taste (and probably not mine). Will bear the French Cream in mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fr benny cake

Don't use Pvc as it scratches very easy. Poplar is excellent but I've mdf in my house 9 years and only painted once, 9 years ago. I've worked on houses in many countries and the Americans love poplar as it is stable and takes paint easily. Also it is easily machined and no nasty mdf dust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Anyone any ideas...

PVC would'nt work long term; Polpular is great but it will expand and crack over time at the corners and if you have large areas where joins are; MDF comes in long lengths so you should'nt see any joints and it does'nt expand. Very difficult to tell the difference between a finished popular and mdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

PVC would'nt work long term; Polpular is great but it will expand and crack over time at the corners and if you have large areas where joins are; MDF comes in long lengths so you should'nt see any joints and it does'nt expand. Very difficult to tell the difference between a finished popular and mdf.

Brother put in MDF at his place. All I remember was the amount of sanding he was doing, covering the place in dust. But it still looks good after a few years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement