Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin insulation for corner window post to reduce thermal bridge. How?

Options
  • 25-05-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all.  I would like some collective thoughts on reducing the thermal bridge of my keylite corner window lintel. The lintel is already fitted without the forethought of ordering the post inboard of the frames. I now want to insulate the post using a high performance thin insulation such as Aspen Aerogel so as to twice thermal bridge and condensation. I know little about the suitable available products, their application or suppliers.
    It's a 100mm post so will have full  2 faces exposed externally to the ambient temperature and internally will have an approx  20mm strip not covered by the window frames - this is where the condensation WILL form I presume.

Can anyone help me with the following:
    A. Recommend a suitable product AND detail of the best application in this situation.
    B. Recommend a supplier for the product.  (Can a small amount be bought directly from Aspen? )

Thanks for any help,
    Jiggins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭893bet

jiggins wrote: »
    Hi all.  I would like some collective thoughts on reducing the thermal bridge of my keylite corner window lintel. The lintel is already fitted without the forethought of ordering the post inboard of the frames. I now want to insulate the post using a high performance thin insulation such as Aspen Aerogel so as to twice thermal bridge and condensation. I know little about the suitable available products, their application or suppliers.
    It's a 100mm post so will have full  2 faces exposed externally to the ambient temperature and internally will have an approx  20mm strip not covered by the window frames - this is where the condensation WILL form I presume.

Can anyone help me with the following:
    A. Recommend a suitable product AND detail of the best application in this situation.
    B. Recommend a supplier for the product.  (Can a small amount be bought directly from Aspen? )

Thanks for any help,
    Jiggins.

Can't help but interested also in solution as I have an identical issue.

Aerogel was the product I had been planning on using also.

Have you your windows in already?

The below seems to be the method and it is as simple as it sounds.
    [snip]

I have windows already fitted and three poles to do. A corner similar to you and then two more poles. My plan is Airtightness tape from pole to window. Aerogel insulation. Then pvc cladding to match windows.

Alternatively I think there is an aerogel product with plaster board attached that may be suitable but I think the area we are working in is just to small and fiddly to use this and achieve a good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jiggins

Thanks 893.
    Windows not in yet. Is there a supplier for that product here? Will you PM me if you know. Thanks!
    Any other solutions guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭cyfac

jiggins wrote: »
    Thanks 893.
    Windows not in yet. Is there a supplier for that product here? Will you PM me if you know. Thanks!
    Any other solutions guys?

Hi all i used a roll of double aluminium sided radiator insulation and fixed it to the steels with a roll of double sided tape used this in conjunction with air tight membrane and everything worked a treat can source in any good diy shop and a fraction of the cost of the aerogel which in addition to being dear to buy costs a fortune to get delivered

Any one else ?

• Advertisement

Also found this which also seems ideal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bll1j96rb0xdhre/Proctors%20-%20Spacetherm%20CBS%20-%20Datasheet.pdf?dl=0

Available here but the rep I was talking to suggested uvalue.ie as a supplier.

http://www.phstore.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product_grouped&product_id=1552

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jiggins

Many thanks 893 bet! I think you have solved my problem. I hope you are add knowledgeable about my next thread-roofinsulation. (Insert Winky face here)

I used the cold bridge strips mentioned. They are pretty difficult to work with to be honest. I have a small bit left over if you want me to post you a sample so you can see for yourself.

Ended up having to use the strips, then plywood, then plaster board and skim. Far from ideal.

Advertisement