Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative roofing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

Great job, looks good. How is this roof cost wise as apposed to a standard slate roof? I have an old farm yard stone shed im planning to renovate, starting to get quotes this coming week.

Also what way are you doing insulation? Are you getting insulated cladding or insulating it seperate? Or both?

It's insulated separately. It's called a warm roof. 100mm PIR board on top of the rafter and rock wool or similar between the rafters. 18mm plywood on top of PIR , then a breathable membrane and fix sheeting straight to it.

11070383_10205357091380727_8104339154048569955_n.jpg?oh=75bff241e3893c28c0ce70b4bf3e8164&oe=55E5BD2F

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Superdaddy wrote: »
    I'm using Vieo edge. Cheaper again. You are welcome to view mine.

Looks fantastic. Great choice. How much per m2 including ridges? What colour have you used? Are you going with flush gables? Is this possible with this type of material?

Sorry about all the Qs

lownhard wrote: »
    Looks fantastic. Great choice. How much per m2 including ridges? What colour have you used? Are you going with flush gables? Is this possible with this type of material?

Sorry about all the Qs

Yes flush gables with a bit of a drip detail. I've used the colour anthracite.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

Yes flush gables with a bit of a drip detail. I've used the colour anthracite.

Looks really nice. Do you know how it will weather? Do you expect the colour/texture to change much (or at all?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Are there any downsides to using vieo zinc compared to standard zinc? Thinking about roofing options for a new build and we were thinking about zinc or copper.

• Advertisement

useruser wrote: »
    Looks really nice. Do you know how it will weather? Do you expect the colour/texture to change much (or at all?)

I don't expect it to change at all. Time will tell, it's not a new material, just a new way of folding it.
    Effects wrote: »
    Are there any downsides to using vieo zinc compared to standard zinc? Thinking about roofing options for a new build and we were thinking about zinc or copper.

I saw a Vieo zinc roof being done when researching mine. The Vieo zinc is aluminium not steel. It weathers the same as zinc. More expensive than Vieo edge. The Vieo edge is available in any ral colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

It's insulated separately. It's called a warm roof. 100mm PIR board on top of the rafter and rock wool or similar between the rafters. 18mm plywood on top of PIR , then a breathable membrane and fix sheeting straight to it.

11070383_10205357091380727_8104339154048569955_n.jpg?oh=75bff241e3893c28c0ce70b4bf3e8164&oe=55E5BD2F

Looks good.. lovely view too. Thanks for the tip, sounds like a great job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nkenny123456

Hi
    We our designing our new build at the minute and have went with a flat roof. 1 for the design aspect and 2 not to block our neighbours light.
    So we won't be changing it but looking 4 experience on flat roof homes. Any advice.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hi
    We our designing our new build at the minute and have went with a flat roof. 1 for the design aspect and 2 not to block our neighbours light.
    So we won't be changing it but looking 4 experience on flat roof homes. Any advice.
    Thanks
    Know someone with a flat roof as the main roof on their house and they're finding it a nightmare getting an insurer to provide home insurance, some even decline to quote. Don't know if its something to do with their roof design, or the insurers refusing to insure against certain claims e.g. roof leaks/repairs or just refusing all cover, either way it's something you should look into.

Anyone experience with flat roofs. Our house design is flat roofed and I love the contemporary look but worry about leaks

• Advertisement

Thank a million I would have never known that. Something to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

Anyone experience with flat roofs. Our house design is flat roofed and I love the contemporary look but worry about leaks

Provided the builder is well experienced leaks shouldn't be a huge risk. What I would say is that in the last 7 or 8 houses I've priced there has been torch on felt and single ply membranes specified as the finish on the roof. It is just my opinion but I think these finishes are a quick job. If it were my own house I wouldn't consider them, an asphalt flat roof really is the only flat roof. If you do for some reason go for torch on felt, make sure that the installer doesn't use a roll of this felt and a roll of that felt, make sure it is a complete roof system from the one manufacturer and make sure you get a written guarantee from the manufacture at the end, generally at some stage a rep from the company will call during the installation to take a few pictures and provide some level of quality control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cork2 wrote: »
    Provided the builder is well experienced leaks shouldn't be a huge risk. What I would say is that in the last 7 or 8 houses I've priced there has been torch on felt and single ply membranes specified as the finish on the roof. It is just my opinion but I think these finishes are a quick job. If it were my own house I wouldn't consider them, an asphalt flat roof really is the only flat roof. If you do for some reason go for torch on felt, make sure that the installer doesn't use a roll of this felt and a roll of that felt, make sure it is a complete roof system from the one manufacturer and make sure you get a written guarantee from the manufacture at the end, generally at some stage a rep from the company will call during the installation to take a few pictures and provide some level of quality control.

We built a lot of flat roof buildings, in the UK in particular (see pics of but one), and I would have to disagree - even our own office building is flat-roofed, and in a single ply membrane. For clarity, we don't do the water-proofing, only the structure under it.

Bituminous membranes / asphalt I wouldn't put on any roof these days, and have not long ago replaced that with a single ply membrane on my mother-in-laws house - after 2 x claims with insurer for leaks, they simply declined to repair it any more, and we put a new mono-pitch roof on it instead, with a single ply membrane.

Asphalt is not maintenance-free, and that's the issue imho.

Another finish to consider, and which I like, is GRP -Glass Reinforced Plastic.

Whichever you pick, as above, buy a 'system' with a comprehensive guarantee.

As others have pointed out though, insurance on any flat roof building is a major problem here. The rule of thumb is that if the flat area exceeds 15% of the total area, and providing you can even get a quote, then you could be looking at up to a large loading - multiples of a 'standard' house in fact.

The other thing to bear in mind is the definition of a 'flat roof'. You can have a 'flat roof'.....at 30 degree pitch :) ... so there is a scope to design something that is 'flat' but at a pitch above that which would fall foul of insurers rules. I can't remember for sure, but I think the pitch to stay above is 5 degrees.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

As I say it's only my opinion but I never took to single ply membranes I don't trust them, they are easily broken. Drop a slate on it and see what happens. In Cork in the past twelve months I've come across a major problem with single ply membrane that you wouldn't think of as an issue. In two separate locations where there has been exposed sites, during construction the engineers detail included ballast spread over the membrane to counter act the wind. In my opinion the ballast itself is a puncture risk but apart form that at all the particular issue was dirt and muck building up in the ballast over time and growing weeds. We've all see the miniature forest that can grow in gutters that aren't maintained, but when that happens on a single ply membrane and along come the birds they peck holes in it believe it or not!! One of the biggest shopping centres in Cork has single ply membrane on the roofs and on the parapets and the pigeons are doing wreck!! I agree with you asphalt is NOT maintenance free, but neither is any other flat roof.

As I say it's only my opinion but I never took to single ply membranes I don't trust them, they are easily broken. Drop a slate on it and see what happens. In Cork in the past twelve months I've come across a major problem with single ply membrane that you wouldn't think of as an issue. In two separate locations where there has been exposed sites, during construction the engineers detail included ballast spread over the membrane to counter act the wind. In my opinion the ballast itself is a puncture risk but apart form that at all the particular issue was dirt and muck building up in the ballast over time and growing weeds. We've all see the miniature forest that can grow in gutters that aren't maintained, but when that happens on a single ply membrane and along come the birds they peck holes in it believe it or not!! One of the biggest shopping centres in Cork has single ply membrane on the roofs and on the parapets and the pigeons are doing wreck!! I agree with you asphalt is NOT maintenance free, but neither is any other flat roof.

Good one about the birds - never knew that !!

There are different types of single ply membrane too - EPDM and PVC being but two, and each have their own pros/cons.

Our office roof in these pics :

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Neither did I till the problem arose, I think we'd better buy bird feeders in bulk!
    Most of my experiences so far are with EPDM.
    I will give it this though, single ply membrane is a lovely neat finish, very attractive looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Roof problems caused by birds, what next? it reminds me of a case many years ago where glaziers were installing windows in a large development. Every morning when they came in the work done the previous day had been attacked, and had to be re-done. Putty had been removed. It looked like an animal was responsible, so they installed CCTV to try to catch the perpretator.
    Turned out to be a putty cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Glass fiber is the only one, think about it, they build boats out of it.

Never seen a boat using torch on ;-)

Really cheap and really easy.

Youtube a few videos.

Metal is next best but it is noisy.

Glass fiber is the only one, think about it, they build boats out of it.

Most products come back to the fitter, fail to correctly ventilate glass fibre and your boat may just hit an ice berg ;) Also Glass fibre needs a parapet with zinc or plaster or cedar or something on it because I could think of nothing worse than looking at glass fibre every morning. Out of general curiosity what kind of guarantees are going with glass fibre roofs anyone know??

Most products come back to the fitter, fail to correctly ventilate glass fibre and your boat may just hit an ice berg ;) Also Glass fibre needs a parapet with zinc or plaster or cedar or something on it because I could think of nothing worse than looking at glass fibre every morning. Out of general curiosity what kind of guarantees are going with glass fibre roofs anyone know??

Well one that I know of has a 20 or 25 year material guarantee, and is Agrément Bord Approved.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement