Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you get signed off work?

Options
  • 31-08-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how long everyone worked up to?

Im nearly 35 weeks now. Im in a job placement because my real job is not safe to do while pregnant so have been given an office roll within the company. It involves shift work with my alarm generally set for 5.30am. Also have a new manager started who is trying to make a name for herself who last week informed me that just because i started work 15 mins early one morning at 6.45am, didnt give me the right to finish 15 mins early in the afternoon (2.45). She is making things stressful for me and another colleague, almost as if she is trying to catch us off guard.

Im crippled with pgp (spd), have carpal tunnel syndrome, and lately am averaging 2 to 3 hours sleep a night. I really want to throw the towel in in work.

I took today off in pure exhaustion and heading to my gp tomorrow in the hope she will sign me off sick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Tbh if explain that you're suffering with SPD etc, the GP really should sign you off. If s/he won't (and I'd be surprised), find one who will. It doesn't sound like it's worth it.

Edit: I went out sick at 37 weeks as I felt awful. Turned out I had high blood pressure so the doctor signed me off, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I went off sick at about 32 weeks IIRC..... I do quite a physical job, and like you, I was getting no sleep, was crippled with sciatica and was just in a heap. I went to my GP and without meaning to, burst into tears with sheer exhaustion. I got signed off there and then. I ended up having my baby 4 weeks early by emergency section. Your health is vital, and you need rest. Go to your GP. Your job will survive without you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Looking after yourself and your baby is far more important than any job. Get signed off straight away. You will need time to rest. Nobody in your job will personally thank you for staying so long and it won't be appreciated. Get signed off this week, rest and if it's your first baby enjoy some time alone. Good luck with your new arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 18 labin_86

I work in retail and I'm going on my maternity leave at 32 weeks, I'm 30 weeks now.
    I'm just not able for it anymore. I really thought I'd be grand to work up until closer to my due date but nope, I'm tapping out early.
    Im so tired, grumpy, big!! and I can't be on my feet all day anymore without collapsing after I close up the shop or feeling like I'm having periodic heart attacks throughout the day.

Girl,you need rest, you don't need to explain yourself, we all have our limits. Take some time, avoid stress.
    Any doctor will sign you off. Your health and the baby are the most important thing right now.
    Good luck, hope you start feeling better.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Given your sleep and pain, just get yourself signed off on sick leave. Don't go on early maternity leave. Especially if you get sick pay. SPD and carpal tunnel and lack of sleep are very valid medical reasons to sign off.

The idea behind needing to go on maternity leave a month before the due date is so that you rest as much as possible pre-labour and the newborn stage, to build up your reserves. Most women can work up to about 2 weeks beforehand, but that really depends on their pregnancy and their job - it's different for everyone and you should evaluate based on your own circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I had planned on working up to 2 weeks before due date but my body had different ideas. I also had really bad spd and had to wear a bump band. I had to get signed off at 32 weeks, reluctantly at the time, but was the best thing ever. I did develop carpal tunnel and need splints for that and I had high BP so ended up being induced at 37 weeks anyways. Definitely get signed off on sick leave not mat leave.

Advertisement