Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving birth in Galway hospital UHG

Options
  • 26-08-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, did anyone give birth in UHG? How was the experience like?
    I am currently in first trimester, and new here so I've few questions

1. If I go for private how much do I pay ( my insurance wont pay as of now)
    2. Can you bring your partner AND 4 year old child to accompany at birth/labor? And can they stay with me in hospital during my stay?
    3. If I want homebirth how much do I pay? Where should I call for more information on homebirth.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You will need to ring the hospital and speak to the consultant but with no health insurance it could be 5k + .
    You can bring your partner,I am not sure if they will allow your child you need to ask them.
    They definitely can not stay in the hospital with you.
    Homebirths are not very common in Ireland but http://www.homebirth.ie/ will have all the information. It depends on your location but 6k is the private cost and depends where you live/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Vrinda

Can I go with public care, but use private room/Semi private room by paying extra? How does it work

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Vrinda wrote: »
    Can I go with public care, but use private room/Semi private room by paying extra? How does it work

You are only allowed one person in the room with u when u give birth. If u are public u go on a public ward u can't pay extra to stay in a smaller /private ward. I went midwife led in Uchg last time and couldn't fault it. I'm doing the same this time. I have private health insurance but it won't cover it all if I went private and I'd rather spend the money taking extra time off work. Ur gp will be able to give u the breakdown of options available to u

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

Homebirth is a public service so should be free. That said, you have to find a SECM (Self Employed Community Midwife) who is available to take you on for few weeks before and after your due date. This can be tricky as they often book up fast.

You could try contacting the Designated Midwifery Officer for the West, she should be able to put you in touch with SECMs that cover your area.
    Mary T Gibbons mary.gibbons@hse.ie 086 3838881

http://homebirth.ie/index.php/information-and-faq/list-of-practicing-homebirth-midwives

For Public - What is Midwife led unit is it same as labor ward in hospital or different ? Does a midwife always be with you in your entire labor? Do you get a separate ward or do you sleep with other mothers after or before birth ? And most importantly, and hopefully, they do not separate newborn after birth for washing etc ?

• Advertisement

For Public - What is Midwife led unit is it same as labor ward in hospital or different ? Does a midwife always be with you in your entire labor? Do you get a separate ward or do you sleep with other mothers after or before birth ? And most importantly, and hopefully, they do not separate newborn after birth for washing etc ?

Midwife led u have all your antenatal appointments with a midwife. They have clinics outside of Uchg as well as in there and u are never waiting long. If they have any concerns you are referred straight to the doc, they only take straightforward cases. My experience when I gave birth last time was that I had the same midwife with me in the labour ward from start to finish. I hadn't met her before but she became like a sister in there. She delivered my baby and stayed late off her shift to do so. Baby goes straight to mam after birth and stays with u and I found the midwives very respectful of my decisions. My daughter was born in in the evening so I stayed in a packed public ward that niggt which honestly was horrible but I was on such a high I didn't mind too much. Hubby had to go home but not until very late. Next day I did the early discharge scheme where I checked out of hospital but a midwife visited my house to chevk up on baby and me for 5 days. That was brilliant they really helped with breastfeeding and any questions I had. I loved being back in my own bed. If u do go private u are not guaranteed a private room it goes by first come first served.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No (I am looking for the link)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you live in the city environs you can be discharged to home if you have a straightforward labour and a paediatrician has checked and discharged the baby, with follow up checks by the phn at your home.

As a public patient you won't be allowed to have your partner and child there overnight. Other patients need rest and it would not be fair to them to have strangers or boisterous children on the ward outside of visiting hours.

Your partner would be allowed as your birth partner but it would be hugely inappropriate and distraction to have your child there while in labour- who would look after the child ?

As a private patient all the same rules apply but you might be able to get a private room and you might get a bit of leeway with visiting hours but not much. And a private room is only subject to availability.

So during the visiting hours anyone can visit including children ?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

So during the visiting hours anyone can visit including children ?

Yep. Mores the pity.

To answer your earlier questions - your baby would normally stay in a bassinet beside your bed at all times. Unless they required NICU care which is in a separate ward.

Midwife-led care refers to your ante-natal care. If you have no other health issues or previous pregnancy /birth complications you can opt to go with the midwife unit for your ante-natal appointments. But if you developed issues such as gestational diabetes or foetal concerns they would swap you over to a consultant led ante-natal care.

A midwife would be with you during labour, sometimes also a student midwife (in which case, take that because they tend to explain whats going on carefully for teaching purposes) if there are complications, or issues, they may bring in an obstetrician to examine you. If you are private you theoretically get your consultant delivering your baby, subject to availability but you'd pay them regardless of whether or not they made it to the hospital to deliver your baby for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies everyone. So I got a letter for my first consultant visit from hospital does that mean I will not be under midwife do I have to ask GP or at hospital? I am not yet diagnosed with anything, I am in first trimerster still.

I'd prefer midwlife led if there's not complications etc.

Probably your initial appointment would include a brief consult with an consultant, and if they have no concerns, they would probably agree to transfer you over to midwife led care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Neyite wrote: »
    Probably your initial appointment would include a brief consult with an consultant, and if they have no concerns, they would probably agree to transfer you over to midwife led care.

Exactly what happened with my wife.

Dealing with the midwife led approach in UHG from start to finish was wonderful. Great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Career Aspirant

Hi Vrinda

How many days do you have to wait to get your first consultant visit?

I am in 1st Trimester too and I opted for balinasloe :)

Next week, Carreer Aspirant, are you in Galway too? My GP recommended UHG as it's closest

Hi Vrinda,

I live in Athlone. So guess Balinasloe is close by :) So I should expect my first visit in 5th week? GP said 13th Week, there will be an ultrasound :)

Good luck to yu

Thanks. Usually the first scan is on 11-13 weeks. I think that's when you have also the first visit as I'll have mine at 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Just nipping in here :)

The first scan isnt until week 20, that's the anomaly one, unless things have changed drastically in the past year...you can get private scans though if you feel you need one. Tell the consultant at the booking appointment that you would like midwife led care if nothing speaks against it, that way they will defo send you over. The midwives are great, couldnt fault them. If god forbid you do develop complications, you will be referred back to a consultant anyway.

Also there's no semi private option in UHG, it's all private or public. Public care is grand, only really annoying thing are the 6 bed wards with facilities straight from the dark ages :(

Best of luck :)

I got my First appointment in 12th Week ., last week of October :) which seems very far away

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok, in my opinion, I would opt to get as far away from UCHG as I could for maternity care. After working 'behind the scenes", I can tell you that is a poorly run unit with little to no personalized care. There are a few midwives that are fantastic, but they are few and far between. I would personally strongly recommend a homebirth for a non-complicated pregnancy. SECM give far more patient-centred care, and all costs are covered under the HSE. If for whatever reason you require a hospital birth, go to Ballinasloe. The unit there is so much better than UCHG

• Advertisement

My experience couldn't have been more different than the previous posters. I went midwife led and found then brilliant. I'm pregnant again and I'm going midwife led again and my experience has been great again so far. I think it's a fantastic, personalised service

Advertisement