Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Quinn avoids jail

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Yes. I do believe he is in a position to put matters right.
    I am not so sure that he is. If he hid these assets in the watertight manner he did it is possible that they are not so simple to just return. Writing a letter or instructing a lawyer to undo a legal transfer requires more than just the will of one party to do so. In simple terms if a legal transfer to another party takes place it then requires that other party to consent to the return of the asset. Do you have reason to believe the other party(s) in this are willing to re-transfer assets?
    Mr.Micro wrote: »
    He ran his businesses into the ground. He appears to be reckless and deluded. He will have to face up to his mistakes and not continue to play the naive little bumpkin screwed over by the boys at Anglo. He was one of the boys at Anglo. Ignorance is no defence( or accepted) for most people when it comes to the law, but Quinn believes he is a special case.
    Has he pleaded ignorance. I think he is pleading that he was lied to. Whether that is accepted or not is another story but saying he pleads ignorance requires back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jaysus Johnnie, give up will you? The more you swerve, duck and dive, change your mind and you opinion the more you convince me Quinn is as guilty as hell.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Jaysus Johnnie, give up will you? The more you swerve, duck and dive, change your mind and you opinion the more you convince me Quinn is as guilty as hell.

Wow- way to discuss said topic!!!

Sorry, but it's not cutting the mustard, you're beginning to sound like Ivor Callely, Beverly Flynn tec.... !

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sorry, but it's not cutting the mustard, you're beginning to sound like Ivor Callely, Beverly Flynn tec.... !
    I disagree with Laminations and Micro thus have engaged them on specific issues, they have countered with there views which is generally how a discussion forum works.

You seem intent to engage in what is known as an ad hominen argument and I would prefer not. Simply saying that something does not 'cut the mustard' does not leave much option for reply other than me pointing out that your post does not cut the mustard (do you see where that will go?). Basically if you are unable or unwilling to discuss what the hell are you doing on a discussion forum.

I didn't mean to offend. Just saying, your not doing Quinn any favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

If the court rules that the loans were legal then he should pay back and has no leg to stand on. If it rules that he was given the loans under false pretences then I would keep a more open mind. What I have said so far is that this judgement should be made ASAP, you are the one who claimed it was not relevant. Quote Here:

First, I asked whether you think it right that he borrowed money which he used to pay debts and is now disputing paying it back as the way he spent the loan also interfered with share price. I didn't ask if it was legal, I've agreed it's likely illegal. I asked do you think it is morally right.

Second, I still maintain it is irrelevant to the debt of 455m as that is undisputed. It's like owing two people Peter and Paul. You agree you owe Peter but dispute you owe Paul. How is any court ruling on your disputed debt to Paul relevant to you paying back Peter? The contempt surrounds Quinns behaviour re the undisputed loans.
    You are posting here long enough to know how to quote pieces of text.

Its not a problem with my ability to quote, it's your opinion shifting like sand.
    Also I note you were unable to answer the question I asked of your own example (post 188). Can I take this as answer B from you?

Yes B, that was quite clear from my answer. It doesn't relate to the Quinns situation though unless you want to assert that the justice system is corrupt and they cant get a fair trial. Also what evidence do you think will emerge that will exonerate Peter Darragh Quinn of his contempt re undisputed 455m? He was caught on tape saying he is happy to lie in court.
    Can I take it that you have withdrawn this or do you wish to quote where I said it?

Your position is that the Quinns are morally justified in ignoring the decisions of the court (freezing orders, contempt findings, committal orders) as they are waiting for another judgement that will give them some retrospective vindication. You don't get to choose which judgements you accept or ignore.
    Would you accept that it is not straightforward?

What is IT? You've conflated the issues throughout. The issue of them owing the 455m is straightforward. The issue of them being dishonest, deceitful and contemptuous is straightforward. The issue of Peter Darragh Quinn being a fugitive is straighforward. The issue of the Quinns mismanagement of Quinn Insurance is straighforward. The issue of 2.3bn being lent for 1) Quinn to pay margin calls and 2) Anglo to maintain share price is straightforward. The legality of it is in question. Whether he should legally pay it back (thats the 2.3bn not the 455m) is therefore in question. Whether he should morally pay it back, as he used it to pay HIS debts, is a question I've asked you and one you haven't answered.

These straightforward issues are accepted by everyone but the most obtuse Quinn supporters. The issues under debate do not change the other issues.

I disagree with Laminations and Micro thus have engaged them on specific issues, they have countered with there views which is generally how a discussion forum works.

They are not views. They are facts in a case, they are deliberations and judgements made about the Quinns in court. You can frame the description of dishonest, deceitful and contemptuous as just the 'view' of a judge but they are in far better positions to judge the evidence than you or I. I'm basing my argument on court findings, where a judge has heard both sides and ruled that Quinns side is baloney. You are basing your argument on the baloney. This idea that we are just debating views is crud. I'm saying quite clearly - your view is wrong.

First, I asked whether you think it right that he borrowed money which he used to pay debts and is now disputing paying it back as the way he spent the loan also interfered with share price. I didn't ask if it was legal, I've agreed it's likely illegal. I asked do you think it is morally right.
    And I answered that the moral right in this case would most likely be with the courts. I wrote that clearly in post 201.
    Second, I still maintain it is irrelevant to the debt of 455m as that is undisputed. It's like owing two people Peter and Paul. You agree you owe Peter but dispute you owe Paul. How is any court ruling on your disputed debt to Paul relevant to you paying back Peter? The contempt surrounds Quinns behaviour re the undisputed loans.
    If the debt were 455 he would have most likely been able to deal with that- that is my understanding and open to correction. Do we know the value of assets transferred?
    Its not a problem with my ability to quote, it's your opinion shifting like sand.
    Example?
    Yes B, that was quite clear from my answer. It doesn't relate to the Quinns situation though unless you want to assert that the justice system is corrupt and they cant get a fair trial. Also what evidence do you think will emerge that will exonerate Peter Darragh Quinn of his contempt re undisputed 455m? He was caught on tape saying he is happy to lie in court.
    :D There are similarities, that is clear and you took the Sean Quinn answer.
    Your position is that the Quinns are morally justified in ignoring the decisions of the court (freezing orders, contempt findings, committal orders) as they are waiting for another judgement that will give them some retrospective vindication. You don't get to choose which judgements you accept or ignore.
    No. see post no. 186.

I have expressed on several posts what the Quinns believe and also answered your questions on what I think. You are mixing the 2 up (unintentionally I believe) and this is perhaps where confusion is arising?
    What is it? You've conflated the issues throughout. The issue of them owing the 455m is straightforward. The issue of them being dishonest, deceitful and contemptuous is straightforward. The issue of Peter Darragh Quinn being a fugitive is straighforward. The issue of the Quinns mismanagement of Quinn Insurance is straighforward. The issue of 2.3bn being lent for 1) Quinn to pay margin calls and 2) Anglo to maintain share price is straightforward. The legality of it is in question. Whether he should legally pay it back (thats the 2.3bn not the 455m) is therefore in question. Whether he should morally pay it back, as he used it to pay HIS debts, is a question I've asked you and one you haven't answered.

These straightforward issues are accepted by everyone but the most obtuse Quinn supporters. The issues under debate do not change the other issues.

But heres where you are wrong. I would strongly argue that I am not a Quinn supporter, in fact I resent the damage done to the taxpayer and insurance payers which both affect me personally. There are 2 sides to most arguments and from looking at the facts behind both sides of this I don't believe it is as simple as most media seems to. Some of the media coverage is simplified to the extreme in an extension of the general tabloidification of all news sources. Quinn is clearly wrong in alot of this issue but a single fall guy seems unlikely also, particularly when other Anglo facts are considered.

• Advertisement

They are not views. They are facts in a case, they are deliberations and judgements made about the Quinns in court. You can frame the description of dishonest, deceitful and contemptuous as just the 'view' of a judge but they are in far better positions to judge the evidence than you or I. I'm basing my argument on court findings, where a judge has heard both sides and ruled that Quinns side is baloney. You are basing your argument on the baloney. This idea that we are just debating views is crud. I'm saying quite clearly - your view is wrong.

Sorry Laminations, your view is not fact.
    You are basing your argument on the baloney.
    This would also seem to be ad hominen. Would you like me to counter that your argument is baloney?
    I will leave the name calling to others (for now:pac:)

And I answered that the moral right in this case would most likely be with the courts. I wrote that clearly in post 201.

So what does that mean? The courts don't decide issues of morality. Are you saying if the loans are illegal he is morally right not to pay any of the 2.3bn back even though he spent it on his debts? And then you queried my description of 'no consequences' for him re these loans?

If the debt were 455 he would have most likely been able to deal with that- that is my understanding and open to correction. Do we know the value of assets transferred?

The debt is 455m. Whether he can deal with it or not is irrelevant. If I owe Peter 200 and I dispute I owe Paul 1000 I don't get to hide my money from Peter. Quinn was found guilty of obstructing the repayment of 455m. What's your point? Is it that Quinn himself will decide what he'll repay after the ruling on the 2.3bn? 'well if I don't owe the 2.3bn you'll get your 455m but if I do owe it then I'll pay it all....but wait I can't because I've moved assets I was told not to'
    Example?
    :D There are similarities, that is clear and you took the Sean Quinn answer.

Well your views towards the morality around Quinns and Peter Darragh Quinns lack of cooperation seems to flip flop. There are no similarities, if you think there are spell them out.
    I have expressed on several posts what the Quinns believe and also answered your questions on what I think. You are mixing the 2 up (unintentionally I believe) and this is perhaps where confusion is arising?

Maybe it's because you won't give your clear view and for the whole time have been defending Quinn. I'm sure Quinn believes a lot of things, he is deluded though. Arguing on the basis of what Quinn believes to be the truth against what the courts have found to be the truth shows a lack of respect for the courts.
    But heres where you are wrong. I would strongly argue that I am not a Quinn supporter, in fact I resent the damage done to the taxpayer and insurance payers which both affect me personally. There are 2 sides to most arguments and from looking at the facts behind both sides of this I don't believe it is as simple as most media seems to. Some of the media coverage is simplified to the extreme in an extension of the general tabloidification of all news sources. Quinn is clearly wrong in alot of this issue but a single fall guy seems unlikely also, particularly when other Anglo facts are considered.

You are not a Quinn supporter?
    Ok so your opinions here, not what you think Quinn believes
    Was he wrong to move assets?
    Is he morally wrong to try and renege on loans which he used to clear personal debts and which he knew the legality of at the time?
    Was Peter Darragh Quinn wrong to abscond?
    Did he mismanage Quinn insurance?

You say he is wrong in a lot of this? Can you clearly demarcate the points where you think he is right? Also I think it is your simplistic reading of the media coverage that's the problem since you think Quinn is some lone fall guy. The media has only recently focused on Quinn. Dozens of people have been bankrupted due to debts. Anglo execs are facing criminal charges which we are only starting to see emerge now and there will be a banking enquiry to look at government actions. Quinn is bringing the media attention on himself by playing the victim in total denial of his wrongdoings. If he didn't frustrate his creditors and the courts by moving around assets and having his family lie in court he'd not be the story he is.

This would also seem to be ad hominen. Would you like me to counter that your argument is baloney?
    I will leave the name calling to others (for now:pac:)

Look up the definition of ad hominem.

Im not attacking you, im rubbishing thr rationale of your argument. Your argument is baloney because it is based in Quinns account of the truth. Quinns account has been assessed in court and has been found to be deceitful, dishonest and contemptuous.

Look up the definition of ad hominem.

Im not attacking you, im rubbishing thr rationale of your argument. Your argument is baloney because it is based in Quinns account of the truth. Quinns account has been assessed in court and has been found to be deceitful, dishonest and contemptuous.

I did look it up, perhaps you should. You seem to take your views based on who said them (your ad hominen argument is against Quinn by the way- not me) rather than what is said.

This calling stuff baloney is all a bit unhelpful to anyones argument. I have demonstrated the holes in your argument (that this is all straightforward) and you resort to that. Not really necessary IMO.

I did look it up, perhaps you should. You seem to take your views based on who said them (your ad hominen argument is against Quinn by the way- not me) rather than what is said.

This calling stuff baloney is all a bit unhelpful to anyones argument. I have demonstrated the holes in your argument (that this is all straightforward) and you resort to that. Not really necessary IMO.

My argument is on what is said. And the veracity of what is said has been judges in a court of law. Demonstrate how I have engaged in ad hominem on Quinn? It's a court judgement that his account is deceitful, dishonest and contemptuous. If your argument is now to take some faux offence at me calling Quinn an idiot then fire away.

Can you clearly state the points on which you think Quinn is right?

You are not a Quinn supporter?
    I dont need you to confirm every point I make

Ok so your opinions here, not what you think Quinn believes
    1.Was he wrong to move assets?
    2.Is he morally wrong to try and renege on loans which he used to clear personal debts and which he knew the legality of at the time?
    3.Was Peter Darragh Quinn wrong to abscond?
    4.Did he mismanage Quinn insurance?

1. Yes. he should have stayed within the law.
    2. Are they personal loans? Source please.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes. He has said this himself.
    Can you clearly demarcate the points where you think he is right? Also I think it is your simplistic reading of the media coverage that's the problem since you think Quinn is some lone fall guy.
    I don't recall saying this. Merely suggested he might not be the only wrongdoer. Look at what else Anglo did and you might ask if this is as straightforward as you are saying, was anything to do with them straightforward particularly in this timeframe.

• Advertisement

Can you clearly state the points on which you think Quinn is right?

The case of the 'contested loans' should precede the attempt to seize assets.

My argument is on what is said. And the veracity of what is said has been judges in a court of law. Demonstrate how I have engaged in ad hominem on Quinn? It's a court judgement that his account is deceitful, dishonest and contemptuous. If your argument is now to take some faux offence at me calling Quinn an idiot then fire away.

I would prefer not to engage in namecalling, its not offensive, rather pointless is all.

I dont need you to confirm every point I make

1. Yes. he should have stayed within the law.
    2. Are they personal loans? Source please.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes. He has said this himself.

I don't recall saying this. Merely suggested he might not be the only wrongdoer. Look at what else Anglo did and you might ask if this is as straightforward as you are saying, was anything to do with them straightforward particularly in this timeframe.

2. Read my posts more carefully. I said he used the loans to pay personal debts. You then ask are they personal loans? Are you disputing that the CFD losses were his?

The rest of your post is an admission that he is wrong in all he has done and your only point is that he's not alone in the wrongdoing?

That's not a case of Quinn being right or wrong. And it doesn't excuse his hiding of assets either related to the disputed 2.3bn or the undisputed 455m.

So your point boils down to 'Anglo is bad'

That's not a case of Quinn being right or wrong. And it doesn't excuse his hiding of assets either related to the disputed 2.3bn or the undisputed 455m.

So your point boils down to 'Anglo is bad'
    Try reading the points I have made rather than misinterpreting them (again).
    Read my posts more carefully. I said he used the loans to pay personal debts. You then ask are they personal loans? Are you disputing that the CFD losses were his?
    I asked were they personal loans, as opposed to business loans. In case you don't see where that is going its in regard of guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

With respect jonnie, I do believe that this particular loan of the €455 million is not contested. If it were, there would be a case contesting the debt by Quinn, and there is none to my knowledge. This may explain why the courts have ruled on the matter, ie the assets. Quinn is happy to obfuscate the whole matter re all the debts into one mess, to avoid paying anything back IMO.

• Advertisement

I had asked you where you thought Quinn was right. Your response above does not answer that.
    Try reading the points I have made rather than misinterpreting them (again).

Ok. Where do you think Quinn has acted correctly? And why does it matter in terms of repayment of the 455m that a decision is made on the 2.3 bn first?
    I asked were they personal loans, as opposed to business loans. In case you don't see where that is going its in regard of guarantees.

Is it morally right that someone takes a loan (regardless of whether it's through his business or personal), uses the money to pay off personal debts, and then tries to wriggle out of repayment of the loan? Can you accept Quinn benefitted from this money?

Is it morally right that someone takes a loan (regardless of whether it's through his business or personal), uses the money to pay off personal debts, and then tries to wriggle out of repayment of the loan? Can you accept Quinn benefitted from this money?
    I presume you see the difference between Debts of the Quinn group, and personal debts.
    If so I would need you to explain more clearly how he has done the above. That is fair request.

I presume you see the difference between Debts of the Quinn group, and personal debts.
    If so I would need you to explain more clearly how he has done the above. That is fair request.

Are you seriously questioning that the CFD debts were personal debts of the Quinns?

From here
    he engaged in reckless gambling and everyone else in the country is now paying the price for his arrogant stupidity. Quinn didn’t just invest badly in buying Anglo Irish Bank shares with his own spare cash: he borrowed excessively to do so and he also borrowed from the Quinn Insurance company without the relevant permission from the authorities. He hid the extent of his share-buying too – as the Central Bank would have investigated his suitability to own more than 10% of the bank had it known about it – and then was allowed to become involved in a highly dubious transaction to sell some of the shares to try and reduce his exposure to heavy losses.

They were personal CFDs and so personal debts (this is a generally accepted fact) paid for by siphoning money from his companies and then borrowing money from Anglo. The Quinns benefitted from these loans as they covered the margin calls on the CFDs. Do you accept that?

Are you seriously questioning that the CFD debts were personal debts of the Quinns?

From here

They were personal CFDs and so personal debts (this is a generally accepted fact) paid for by siphoning money from his companies and then borrowing money from Anglo. The Quinns benefitted from these loans as they covered the margin calls on the CFDs. Do you accept that?

I'm simply questioning it with an open mind.
    There are a few things that dont make sense though- maybe you can give your thoughts on them. Quinn could'nt be seen to own more than 10% of Anglo shares. Debts were built up by using off shore company names to buy the shares. I presume these were ltd. companies with all that brings so how do you see this relating back to personal loans (presuming you understand the difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mdoyler2

I

Laminations,
    -you are so far off with your so called 'facts'
    -Sean didn't borrow a cent from Anglo personally or through a corporate entity, as he didn't own any companies since 2002. He did however personally guarantee all corporate debts of his children's companies. There is a huge difference here.
    -NO court as ruled on the validity of the debt weather it be 455m, 2.3bn or 2.8bn. Justice Dunnes judgement was in relation to contempt of Court, nothing else. She was asked to rule on 'when' something was done; not as you suggest the validity of debt.
    -The documentation the new management are relying on to enforce the Quinn loans, like the Accounts of Anglo was blatantly fraudaelent.
    -As the bank was in breach of s60 of the CA and the market abuse regulations: the loans are invalid. This means any security given is null and void. Therefore, Anglo are in control of companies they shouldn't be. READ the Charleton judgement; 'the bank shouldn't profit from its OWN illegality.'
    -just because the DoF and CB where stupid enough to guarantee and nationalise Anglo; doesn't mean they can disregard its past history and enforce blantaly fraudaelent loans; that individuals are now been charged criminally over.
    -you keep mentioning that he should pay it back, 1) if it's illegal it doesn't have to paid back and Anglo has no write to the security given 2) Quinn tried to work with Anglo despite what the bank had done in the past, yet they tried to go behind his back and take everything illegally;
    -the reasons we are in this mess is solely because of Anglo; the new board and government can dress it up all they like; but Anglo was the one that cooked it books and cost the state 30bn

I'm simply questioning it with an open mind.
    There are a few things that dont make sense though- maybe you can give your thoughts on them. Quinn could'nt be seen to own more than 10% of Anglo shares. Debts were built up by using off shore company names to buy the shares. I presume these were ltd. companies with all that brings so how do you see this relating back to personal loans (presuming you understand the difference).

Yep. In the face of court judgements against Quinn and descriptions of his behaviour as deceitful, dishonest and contemptuous you keep that open mind. Cite some source that underlies the presumption you make there. All media sources refer to the CFD debts as personal. And I see you are reverting back to legal obligations? Can't quite wrap that open mind around a question of morality.

Did Quinn benefit from the loans. Was the money used to pay off margin calls?

mdoyler2 wrote: »

Laminations,
    -you are so far off with your so called 'facts'
    -Sean didn't borrow a cent from Anglo personally or through a corporate entity, as he didn't own any companies since 2002. He did however personally guarantee all corporate debts of his children's companies. There is a huge difference here.

Did Quinn meet with Drumm and Fitzpatrick in the Ardboyne hotel to disclose his CFD position? How did Quinn pay the margin calls on his CFD gambling from 2006 onwards?

-NO court as ruled on the validity of the debt weather it be 455m, 2.3bn or 2.8bn. Justice Dunnes judgement was in relation to contempt of Court, nothing else. She was asked to rule on 'when' something was done; not as you suggest the validity of debt.

Never suggested the court ruled in the validity of any debt. I said it gave judgement on the veracity of accounts. Is Quinn now disputing the 455m? If its not disputed what's your point?
    -The documentation the new management are relying on to enforce the Quinn loans, like the Accounts of Anglo was blatantly fraudaelent.

Source please
    -As the bank was in breach of s60 of the CA and the market abuse regulations: the loans are invalid. This means any security given is null and void. Therefore, Anglo are in control of companies they shouldn't be. READ the Charleton judgement; 'the bank shouldn't profit from its OWN illegality.'
    -just because the DoF and CB where stupid enough to guarantee and nationalise Anglo; doesn't mean they can disregard its past history and enforce blantaly fraudaelent loans; that individuals are now been charged criminally over.

Did Quinn and his family in any way benefit from those loans? What was the money used for? The Anglo parties privy to these loans are being charged as they were fraudulent. What's the consequence for Quinn and co.? Or what consequence do you think he should face?
    -you keep mentioning that he should pay it back,

Morally yes, legally the 2.3bn is to be ruled upon.
    1) if it's illegal

That's an important word. If. Quinn has preempted this judgement by moving assets. See the problem here?
    it doesn't have to paid back and Anglo has no write to the security given 2) Quinn tried to work with Anglo despite what the bank had done in the past, yet they tried to go behind his back and take everything illegally;

Everything illegally? Seems the courts views so far has been mostly criticsl of the Quinns behaviour. If the courts find that the loans were legal (or that Quinns have a liability) will they accept that?

Look my point has been related to the uncontested 455m and you have continually tried to drag in the other 2.3 bn. Regardless of a judgement in this Quinn has no right to move assets. My comments on the 2.3bn are about moral obligations - in aware the legal obligations are yet to be decided and I agree the loans are most likely illegal. But I recognise that the Quinns benefitted greatly from these loans.
    -the reasons we are in this mess is solely because of Anglo; the new board and government can dress it up all they like; but Anglo was the one that cooked it books and cost the state 30bn

Thats the Quinn equivalent of a FFer blaming Lehmans. Total rubbish. Really if we've gone this far down the rabbit hole and you cannot see Quinns share of the blame with his CFD betting, his misusing monies from his companies, his mismanagement of Quinn Insurance and his uncooperative behaviour with repaying undisputed debts.....

I'm stepping off this delusional train.

Yep. In the face of court judgements against Quinn and descriptions of his behaviour as deceitful, dishonest and contemptuous you keep that open mind. Cite some source that underlies the presumption you make there. All media sources refer to the CFD debts as personal. And I see you are reverting back to legal obligations? Can't quite wrap that open mind around a question of morality.

Did Quinn benefit from the loans. Was the money used to pay off margin calls?

I take this as you admitting that you do not keep an open mind in reference to the ongoing debacle. Dangerous stuff, less than mocking someone with an open mind you should bear in mind dangers of not keeping an open mind based on a courts decision. I did realise you were stuck in a closed mindset before this but thanks for making it clear.

Just before I leave the discussion I will point out the similarities between that type of 'I'm right, your wrong' attitude and the man being discussed in this thread. I think its called irony!
    Bye for now :pac:

I take this as you admitting that you do not keep an open mind in reference to the ongoing debacle. Dangerous stuff, less than mocking someone with an open mind you should bear in mind dangers of not keeping an open mind based on a courts decision. I did realise you were stuck in a closed mindset before this but thanks for making it clear.

Just before I leave the discussion I will point out the similarities between that type of 'I'm right, your wrong' attitude and the man being discussed in this thread. I think its called irony!
    Bye for now :pac:

Your argument has been rubbish from the start. Keeping an open mind in the face of court descriptions like those below is some mental feat
    THE QUINN FAMILY have presided over a scheme of mesmeric complexity that “reeked of dishonesty and sharp practice”, the judge presiding over the commercial court said today.
    Mr Justice Peter Kelly said that he was having to deal with an increasing number of cases involving “national and international fraud, sharp practice, chicanery and dishonesty”. However, he had never seen anything on the scale demonstrated by Sean Quinn and his family.

I suppose you have an open mind about John Gilligan or Larry Murphy too? Far from an open mind you fail to accept the views of those taxed with judging the Quinns. Really poor show. And I'm done.

-NO court as ruled on the validity of the debt weather it be 455m, 2.3bn or 2.8bn.

Is the €455 debt in question? I do not think so? Hence no ruling as there is no case? Has Quinn challenged this debt?

-you keep mentioning that he should pay it back, 1) if it's illegal

If its illegal, then Quinn was perhaps knowingly involved in illegal activity by association with illegal loans to buy insider shares? Bad either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TimTom

He is a Wanted man :)

WantedPeterDarraghQuinn.com

Delusion runs in the family

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/aoife-quinn-admits-that-daddy-could-join-sean-jnr-in-prison-3201675.html
    (the) family did not have a "pot of gold" stashed under their beds -- even though members of the family had drawn down almost €3m in "salaries" from a Russian company since last year.
    The former Quinn Insurance employee also blamed the Financial Regulator for the potential €1.6bn bill taxpayers could face after the company was placed into administration.
    Ms Quinn backed her cousin Peter Darragh Quinn, former head of the Quinn's International Property Group (IPG), who failed to turn up in court to be sentenced to jail for three months for breaking court orders not to interfere with IPG.
    "He is not on the run," she said . "He is sitting in his house in Fermanagh."

Witness the delusion for yourselves
    http://www.tv3.ie/3player/mobile/41/51970/

Especially her attitude towards the company paying for her wedding

http://www.herald.ie/news/quinn-girl-i-dont-know-who-paid-for-my-100k-wedding-3201883.html
    SEAN Quinn's daughter does not know who paid for her €100,000 wedding, she has said.

She said all the family's expenses were handled through the company's headquarters in Derrylin, Co Fermanagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have said this before, but if as she admits that the company paid for personal expenses such as a wedding then that is benefit in kind and revenue needs to hit them with tax bills.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Delusion runs in the family
    I can't help but appreciate the irony of the IBRC effectively asset-stripping the Quinn Group holding company, meaning that its assets will be put beyond the reach of the Quinns. They'd never of thought of doing something like that themselves....?

opti0nal wrote: »
    I can't help but appreciate the irony of the IBRC effectively asset-stripping the Quinn Group holding company, meaning that its assets will be put beyond the reach of the Quinns. They'd never of thought of doing something like that themselves....?

Irony indeed,lol.
    Quinn daughters 'shocked' at Quinn Group Limited's liquidation

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0817/quinn-group-limited-wound-up-by-receiver-business.html

That will be another jolt of reality for the deluded Quinns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭creedp

opti0nal wrote: »

Its interesting that its the Quinn children are hogging the media these days .. Daddy must be on holidays

Million euro company deals and asset transfers should only be signed in person witnessed by a solicitor. It is ridiculous that you can have a 90m property transferred away with a digital signature, and the person denies they authorised it.

Are digital signatures legally worth anything??

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/sean-quinn-aide-at-centre-of-mystery-over-90m-asset-3208270.html
    Documents show the digital signature of former Quinn Group finance director Dara O'Reilly was used in a transaction that effectively transferred the valuable asset to a Dubai-registered company whose ownership is unknown.
    But Mr O'Reilly insisted he never authorised the transaction -- and he refused to comment on whether he believed somebody else had.

Meanwhile in Quinnland, the rot scamming through to the next generation.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/quinns-two-grandkids-facing-probe-3210181.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/group-raises-substantial-funds-for-quinn-family-567832.html

The figure being bandied about is in excess of 2 million. This is a whip around even Bertie could be proud of but shouldn't this money be taxed? It's not a charitable donation so shouldn't it be subject to capital gains tax? And should the balance not be frozen just like the rest of the accounts as money owed to the taxpayer?

In the midst of more evidence of contempt, with a Quinn company securing an 11m loan earlier this year using a disputed properties future rent as collateral, people should be very careful about throwing their chips in with the Quinns. And yet more idiots emerge on the airwaves to lament the Quinns and decry the taking over of a 'profitable business' - referring to Quinn Insurance. Ignorant gombeens.

Concerned Irish Businesses should be more concerned about the Quinns blatant disregard for the law and unwillingness to pay their dues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/group-raises-substantial-funds-for-quinn-family-567832.html

The figure being bandied about is in excess of 2 million. This is a whip around even Bertie could be proud of but shouldn't this money be taxed? It's not a charitable donation so shouldn't it be subject to capital gains tax? And should the balance not be frozen just like the rest of the accounts as money owed to the taxpayer?

In the midst of more evidence of contempt, with a Quinn company securing an 11m loan earlier this year using a disputed properties future rent as collateral, people should be very careful about throwing their chips in with the Quinns. And yet more idiots emerge on the airwaves to lament the Quinns and decry the taking over of a 'profitable business' - referring to Quinn Insurance. Ignorant gombeens.

Concerned Irish Businesses should be more concerned about the Quinns blatant disregard for the law and unwillingness to pay their dues.

So we now have 'Concerned Irish Business' and 'Concerned Irish Citizens' on the case. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but have to say I actually find the title 'Concerned Irish Citizens' a bit offensive. If you claim to represent Irish citizens who are concerned, then I think it's inappropriate to suggest that the main concerns of said citizens are that a family should be allowed disregard the orders of the court just because it suits them. Where were the concerned ones when the church was protecting child abusers? Where were they when inquiries into planning irregularities were scuppered? I could go on.

They certainly don't give a damn about any of the things that concern this citizen and their name is an insult to many.

• Advertisement

LLU wrote: »
    So we now have 'Concerned Irish Business' and 'Concerned Irish Citizens' on the case. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but have to say I actually find the title 'Concerned Irish Citizens' a bit offensive. If you claim to represent Irish citizens who are concerned, then I think it's inappropriate to suggest that the main concerns of said citizens are that a family should be allowed disregard the orders of the court just because it suits them. Where were the concerned ones when the church was protecting child abusers? Where were they when inquiries into planning irregularities were scuppered? I could go on.

They certainly don't give a damn about any of the things that concern this citizen and their name is an insult to many.

Absolutely true. The Quinns do not deserve any help or concern. There are other names for these people, which I will refrain from using. Many in Ireland will always back wrongdoing and those who do it, it is beyond logic or common sense. Sheep would have more discretion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

They claim to have 500 member businesses across the Island. I'm sure revenue and IBRC will be eager to see their list of donors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

The potential legal stuff has been dealt with. Lets leave it there folks

Cheers

DrG

Is the 'donation' subject to capital gains tax or the freezing orders?

Advertisement