Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair increase charges

Options
  • 28-04-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

1 bag has gone up to 10 euro.

Airport checkin fee has gone up to 5 euro.

Ryanair say they will keep on increasing charges until at least 50% of their passengers carry hand-luggage only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

penexpers wrote: »
    Ryanair say they will keep on increasing charges until at least 50% of their passengers carry hand-luggage only.

Meanwhile airports won't let you bring a bulk of toiletries through as they are over 100ml. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You can get smaller ones in most supermarkets these days or you can buy them when you get over there.

Or you can give up on air travel (pretty much what I have done).

You can get smaller ones in most supermarkets these days or you can buy them when you get over there.

True, but it bothers me I can't bring my things with me due to a non-existant threat. Aftershave etc. is expensive, I don't want to buy some for a weekend and bin it. It's more the hassle. The whole "liquid-explosive" thing is a scam and I wish they would just get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

paulm17781 wrote: »
    True, but it bothers me I can't bring my things with me due to a non-existant threat. Aftershave etc. is expensive, I don't want to buy some for a weekend and bin it. It's more the hassle. The whole "liquid-explosive" thing is a scam and I wish they would just get rid of it.

why would you buy some for the weekend and then bin it? as far as i know aftershave isn't perishable....

woodseb wrote: »
    why would you buy some for the weekend and then bin it? as far as i know aftershave isn't perishable....

Because I can't bring it on the plane (assuming +100ml).

• Advertisement

Because I can't bring it on the plane (assuming +100ml).

ok, i'll shorten my question then - why would you buy some for the weekend?:confused:

its easy to buy travel packs of stuff, and if you pack wisely carrying your bag on is a lot less hassle than having to queue to check it in and wait for it on the other side

ok, i'll shorten my question then - why would you buy some for the weekend?:confused:

I'll rephrase my point, I already own these things. Why do I have to buy them for holidays / business trips?

All answers that can prove liquid explosives are likely to be made on a plane win a prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Or you can give up on air travel (pretty much what I have done).

Flying is necessary evil for a lot of people, me included and I don't particularly like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

its easy to buy travel packs of stuff, and if you pack wisely carrying your bag on is a lot less hassle than having to queue to check it in and wait for it on the other side

What if one is traveling for a weekend for a wedding or special occasion? You can get travel size shower gels but not travel size Hugo Boss. Equally, some people may require medicines that are liquid form only or they may be coming with bottles of spirits for presents; people returning from holy shrines. It is impractical to assume that one has to purchase any liquids solely in travel sizes especially as most flights are return journeys. The costs in buying additional products may cancel out baggage fees in any case.

As it is, the average flight is struggling to contain luggage in the overhead compartments; adding to the squeeze here is going to add woes for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

plus the UK security set up has a maximum cabin baggage size that I exceeded by one measly centimetre yesterday due to the wheels on my bag which has been okayed for cabin travel on any number of flights not including the UK.

As it happens, the liquid thing annoys the hell out of me on several fronts. It is a nuisance having to put each and every bottle of liquid that you have into a clear plastic ziplock bag. I used to bring stuff back from France like the occasional bottle of wine, for example. There is no way in hell you'd check a glass bottle in...well I wouldn't, so you're limited to what the duty free may or may not have.

I don't usually buy aftershave for fairly obvious reasons but surely to God a bottle of Hugo Boss can be got in 50ml format?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hamndegger wrote: »
    What if one is traveling for a weekend for a wedding or special occasion? You can get travel size shower gels but not travel size Hugo Boss. Equally, some people may require medicines that are liquid form only or they may be coming with bottles of spirits for presents; people returning from holy shrines. It is impractical to assume that one has to purchase any liquids solely in travel sizes especially as most flights are return journeys. The costs in buying additional products may cancel out baggage fees in any case.

As it is, the average flight is struggling to contain luggage in the overhead compartments; adding to the squeeze here is going to add woes for all concerned.

Hugo Boss is available in lots of sizes under 100ml. Medicines are allowed through with the supporting documentation, always have been.

As for people coming from Holy Shrines I can only suggest they freeze the holy water and bring it on as a solid, of course this has weight issues :rolleyes:

It is impractical to assume that one has to purchase any liquids solely in travel sizes especially as most flights are return journeys.

what's impractical about it, the rules are clear and people having been working with it for quite a while now. you can get travel sizes of all the major brands. can't believe people are still moaning about it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

People will moan about it as it is seen as completely unnecessary, and pulls in the opposite direction to what the airlines are trying to do (stop check in baggage).

Ideally Ryanair's next set of plans will sacrifice baggage hold space for overhead locker space.

astrofool wrote: »
    People will moan about it as it is seen as completely unnecessary, and pulls in the opposite direction to what the airlines are trying to do (stop check in baggage).

That's exactly it, I prefer bringing luggage on the flight but I have issue with buying a small bottle of aftershave for a weekend when I have a load of it at home.
    astrofool wrote: »
    Ideally Ryanair's next set of plans will sacrifice baggage hold space for overhead locker space.

Really? That would be interesting, Would the plane not have to be significantly modified for this?

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Hugo Boss is available in lots of sizes under 100ml. Medicines are allowed through with the supporting documentation, always have been.

As for people coming from Holy Shrines I can only suggest they freeze the holy water and bring it on as a solid, of course this has weight issues :rolleyes:

Take note, ladies and gentlemen. I don't actually use Hugo Boss so I have no idea what sizes it comes in; it was just the brand that came to mind as they were sampling it last week in the shops. Just as well they didn't try out Dettol, eh! :D

I'm just a bit annoyed that people are now made feel needed to have to buy whatever toiletries we use in small sizes purely to travel with. Handy for those who travel often but for the one off trips it is getting into wasteful times. I accept and expect that prescriptions will be grand with documents but is it really a case of justifying medication and bringing prescriptions with us to save the cost of bags. I stand by my point on bottled gifts; it is get it before boarding or don't bring it.

I understand why airlines are doing this; it is more about getting more money from people than "saving" baggage handler fees. Cabins will be soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

That's exactly it, I prefer bringing luggage on the flight but I have issue with buying a small bottle of aftershave for a weekend when I have a load of it at home.
    QUOTE]

seriously whinging or what, ive just gone through my aftershave, around 12 different bottles and over 80% are smaller or equal to 100ml.
    only a couple are over 100ml and they are 125ml.

i can only suspect you go around with the type of bottles you see in the perfume adds like channel, the ones that carry about 2 litre's.

and answering your liquid explosives why dont you google
    Astrolite G
    Nitroglycerine
    or just google liquid explosives

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

afair some russian planes used to have underseat spaces for luggage [ not a cargo hold, more hatches in the maindeck for luggage ]

rameire wrote: »
    seriously whinging or what, ive just gone through my aftershave, around 12 different bottles and over 80% are smaller or equal to 100ml.
    only a couple are over 100ml and they are 125ml.

Aftershave is an example. Shampoo, toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, etc. I don't want to have to buy all of these things when going away or have a bunch of little things. It is wasteful. Perhaps you are happy to do this or have plenty of storage for your home ones and travel ones. Personally, I couldn't be bothered and I have an issue with having to go through my toiletries, see what I can bring and then have to decide.
    i can only suspect you go around with the type of bottles you see in the perfume adds like channel, the ones that carry about 2 litre's.

Are we taking this a bit personally? There are no need to make snide assumptions about my character based on me not wanting pointless hassle.
    and answering your liquid explosives why dont you google
    Astrolite G
    Nitroglycerine
    or just google liquid explosives

And why don't you google the types of conditions these have to be mixed in (that's the threat) I'm pretty certain an airplane toilet won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Equally, some people may require medicines that are liquid form only
    Exceptions are made for medical and dietary requisites.

"But Mr. Policeman, I'm a nervous flyer, I need the two litres of Jameson to calm my nerves .... HIC!"

Aftershave is an example. Shampoo, toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, etc. I don't want to have to buy all of these things when going away or have a bunch of little things. It is wasteful. Perhaps you are happy to do this or have plenty of storage for your home ones and travel ones. Personally, I couldn't be bothered and I have an issue with having to go through my toiletries, see what I can bring and then have to decide.

isn't that the point of packing for the weekend? do you bring all your clothes aswell? having travel sizes gives you more room in your carry on case too

you're a man, put a toothbrush in your pocket, a change of underwear in the other and you're good to go:D

• Advertisement

you're a man, put a toothbrush in your pocket, a change of underwear in the other and you're good to go:D

I tried that, they said I may use the toothbrush to build a gun and highjack the plane.* :D

* A similar threat level to liquids on planes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It’s only right they increase their charges; they have been flying people around Europe over the last decade for virtually nothing. Their planes do not run on water, if Ryanair were to pay people to fly they would still complain. I say ......... the begrudgers :)

It’s only right they increase their charges; they have been flying people around Europe over the last decade for virtually nothing. Their planes do not run on water, if Ryanair were to pay people to fly they would still complain. I say ......... the begrudgers :)

Ryanair never raise their prices, they raise their charges instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnmarkey

Was in shannon going to the uk last week and as usual worried about the weight of my bag i spotted a weighn scales i never seen before, just inside the door. I think it was only one euro to use. Brilliant

I was bringing a PA Amplifier back from Eindhoven, It werghed in at 32KG inclusive of flight case. The woman at the Ryanair check in said that it was over their limit by 2KG and that they didn't have to take it at all. However she let me off with it at 28KG Fair play to them, they do bend the rules!

I was bringing a PA Amplifier back from Eindhoven, It werghed in at 32KG inclusive of flight case. The woman at the Ryanair check in said that it was over their limit by 2KG and that they didn't have to take it at all. However she let me off with it at 28KG Fair play to them, they do bend the rules!

That's not Ryanair bending the rules, that's the local agent ignoring the rules.

That's not Ryanair bending the rules, that's the local agent ignoring the rules.
    Suited me :)

Not all their staff are narky bitc**s

Aer Lingus have followed suit today.

12 euro if booked online, 18 euro if paid for in airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I love the way Aer Lingus do that. Let Ryanair put up their charges first, and everyone throw a wobbly at them, then when AL do it people have run out of steam, despite the fact they're charging more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I'd still prefer to pay a bit more and use AL than use Ryanair. Their planes are ****e and uncomfortable.

Advertisement