Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair increase charges

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Boggles wrote: »
    If you arrive in past security with plenty of time to get to the shops, most people are too busy getting to the queue early to get a decent seat.
    When you have priority boarding then you don't have to queue besides how long does it take to purchase a bottle of water?
    Rubbish, what you think baggage charges cover? Your not charged for bringing on hand language, thus making the plane heavier, thus using more fuel and costing more.
    Fast check-ins and limited baggage are key to the business models of low-cost carriers like Ryanair.
    Haha, all from 2006 when there was panic and delay because of the new security measures, people are well used to the muppetry now and arrive earlier, with out shampoo,etc.
    Which causes a nuisance for passengers - some of whom just gave up flying as some have mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Why don't you go find a stat how beverage profits for airlines are doing since these "security measures" came in?
    If you want to argue they have gone up then prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,605 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

axer wrote: »
    When you have priority boarding then you don't have to queue besides how long does it take to purchase a bottle of water?

Something you pay for.
    Fast check-ins and limited baggage are key to the business models of low-cost carriers like Ryanair.

No key to the business model is an arse in a seat is better than an empty seat.

I can bash them on what ever I want, my point was it is not safe for me to go to the jacks, but they can wheel a 100 kg metal tank up and down a flight that is at 30 degrees.
    If you think it is not safe then why don't you contact the IAA.
    Nothing I have said isn't true, the real question is why do you feel the need to defend Ryanair, do you work for them, do you have shares?
    You suggested that the security measures helped Ryanair and that they were not against them which was not true.

I don't work for Ryanair nor do I have shares in their company. I do fly regularly with them. I do not agree with people bashing any company or person with illogical arguments and untruthful statements.

People love to give out about Ryanair - even when they are wrong. Are you one of those people? Why do you fly with them if you think they are so bad?

Something you pay for.
    I have never paid for it and still got it.
    No key to the business model is an arse in a seat is better than an empty seat.
    That is the key to all airline's business models. I am talking specifically about low cost airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

People love to give out about Ryanair - even when they are wrong. Are you one of those people?

I hate Ryanair, I try not to fly with them. If I do, I know what I am in for. What drives me mad is people who fly Ryanair and then give out about the cheap service, as though their 30e flight deserves luxury. You get what you pay for. :)

If you think it is not safe then why don't you contact the IAA.

Because I'd rather come on boards.ie and fight it out with you.
    You suggested that the security measures helped Ryanair and that they were not against them which was not true.

I suggested it increased their beverage profits, can you tell me it didn't?

People love to give out about Ryanair - even when they are wrong. Are you one of those people? Why do you fly with them if you think they are so bad?

Because a government I didn't vote for, sold off our national airline and made the closest airport to me a Ryanair monoply.

Because I'd rather come on boards.ie and fight it out with you.
    Well I presume you are not an expert in safety (and I can tell you I am not either) so why not contact the IAA who would have access to experts in that area to check it out since you are so bothered by it.
    I suggested it increased their beverage profits, can you tell me it didn't?
    You're the one suggesting it has increased their profits! What a silly argument.
    Because a government I didn't vote for, sold off our national airline and made the closest airport to me a Ryanair monoply.
    So basically you think Ryanair are to blame for the governments actions? Ryanair do not have a monopoly in Dublin airport btw there are plenty of other airlines to fly with. People love to choose cheap airlines and give out when they do not get a service that would be expected on a first class flight as paulm17781 said.

Flying to me is not much different than taking a bus. I don't expect any of the frills on a bus, so why would I need them on a short flight. I just want to get from A to B as cheaply as possible in one piece. Ryanair can do that for me so that is why I fly with them regularly.

So basically you think Ryanair are to blame for the governments actions?

Slow down tonto, I merely suggested their beverage profits rose since people are no longer allowed bring drinks on the planes with them.
    Ryanair do not have a monopoly in Dublin airport btw there are plenty of other airlines to fly with.

I'm not talking about Dublin. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

Flying to me is not much different than taking a bus. I don't expect any of the frills on a bus, so why would I need them on a short flight

you can shove mostly all the luggage you want into the underfloor storage areas on the bus.

I note EI have whacked up the Fuel Surcharge, and also the bags charge,

do the ASAI do nothing about the claims for these flights at all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Slow down tonto, I merely suggested their beverage profits rose since people are no longer allowed bring drinks on the planes with them.
    Apart, of course, from anything purchased after passing security... Or are Ryanair also responsible for passenger's inability to get to the airport in time to allow them to shop for anything required before queuing to get a decent seat?

Personally, if I have not paid for speedy boarding, which I normally do, I usually wait until the queue has gone completely as there are only a handful of seats that even remotely queuing for and I don't really care to stand in a queue before the plane has even landed for the unlikely chance to get one.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Personally, if I have not paid for speedy boarding, which I normally do, I usually wait until the queue has gone completely as there are only a handful of seats that even remotely queuing for and I don't really care to stand in a queue before the plane has even landed for the unlikely chance to get one.

MrP

Good for you!

and then asked me to prove that their profits didnt rise instead of you proving your statement. Again, a silly argument without substance. People are allowed to bring drinks onto airplanes. I bring on bottles of water all the time. It is the shops after security that make the money out of me as I am forced to purchase water even though I had water with me before security.
    I'm not talking about Dublin. :rolleyes:
    Which airport are you talking about then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Shannon at an educated guess.

as a general note it's possible to disagree with other people civilly. Could youz bear this in mind? I'm getting a bad karma vibe from this thread.

How is it Ryanairs fault there are not many other airlines flying to europe from shannon?

How is it Ryanairs fault there are not many other airlines flying to europe from shannon?

Are you drunk?

You asked me why I fly Ryanair, I told you I didn't have much of a choice.

I'm going to stop talking to you now, because I have no interest in bashing Ryanair so Michael O'Leary Junior can tell me how great they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It is the shops after security that make the money out of me as I am forced to purchase water even though I had water with me before security.

Which is who I reckon the nonsense liquid threat is in place for. I would think airports are making a tasty profit out of this.

I do however suspect the airline are well aware that some folk would prefer to bring their liquid products with them and the baggage surcharge surely also benefits out if this. Ryanair et al no doubt use this to their advantage too. I don't blame them, that is what low cost is all about, it still bothers me though.

Are you drunk?

You asked me why I fly Ryanair, I told you I didn't have much of a choice.

I'm going to stop talking to you now, because I have no interest in bashing Ryanair so Michael O'Leary Junior can tell me how great they are.
    There's no need to get personal.

I think you are missing the point that it is not ryanair's fault that no one else provides the service you want from shannon. They provide a certain type of service i.e. cheap no-frills flights. If you don't like their service then don't fly with them. Even if you add all the extra frills that are charged extra on ryanair i.e. priority boarding, in-flight food and drinks etc. they will still work out cheaper than the likes of aerlingus.

You could take a bus to a different airport. I have to take a 2.5 hr bus journey to go to dublin airport even though shannon is closer to me because I cannot get a direct bus to shannon airport, its nobody's fault - its just economics just like there is a limited choice in shannon due to low demand but it doesnt take away your choice of flying from a different airport.
    paulm17781 wrote: »
    Which is who I reckon the nonsense liquid threat is in place for. I would think airports are making a tasty profit out of this.
    Exactly, they are the ones that have the real control when it came to bringing in the extra security measures and the ones making the most money out of it.
    paulm17781 wrote: »
    I do however suspect the airline are well aware that some folk would prefer to bring their liquid products with them and the baggage surcharge surely also benefits out if this. Ryanair et al no doubt use this to their advantage too. I don't blame them, that is what low cost is all about, it still bothers me though.
    I do feel for those that have children etc with buggys etc as they are the worst hit. Still if you include all the extra charges with Ryanair I still think it works out less than the other airlines and air travel as a whole has definitely come down in price so overall the price is still lower than it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Dispatches on channel 4 did an interesting programme on exactly this subject. Worth looking up, might be available on 4oD.

MrP

Advertisement