Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win 10 Fresh install on HP laptop

• 31-08-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I upgraded my Pavilion G6 to windows 10 and im liking it but i want to do a fresh install, this is where it gets complicated. Am i supposed to use the HP preloaded recovery software do a fresh install of window 8.1 THEN upgrade to windows 10 or can i simply use the recovery options in windows 10 to do a fresh install using the media creation tool?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I would be thinking you use the media creation tool to create a dvd of Win 10, you should be able to use your current Windows Key for it (under the battery if not visible on the bottom) , however what I did at the weekend was simply take a data backup of the Laptop the run the upgrade without the "saving any files" option and it did a clean install of 10 without any bloatware. I cannot remember if I have already got shot of the bloatware on the laptop I was working on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

bennyc wrote: »
    I would be thinking you use the media creation tool to create a dvd of Win 10, you should be able to use your current Windows Key for it (under the battery if not visible on the bottom) , however what I did at the weekend was simply take a data backup of the Laptop the run the upgrade without the "saving any files" option and it did a clean install of 10 without any bloatware. I cannot remember if I have already got shot of the bloatware on the laptop I was working on.

My laptop never came with a windows key it just has a win8 hologram underneath also win10 upgrade supposedly doesnt give you a key it registers your upgrade to your hardware. Thats what has me double thinking using the media creation tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

if you take out the battery is there a key under it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭halkar

Windows 8 laptops does not have stickers with keys. Your key is in the bios. There are tools to get the key from bios. However if your Win 10 upgrade is activated you do not need the key. You can just do fresh install and Windows will check your previous activation. You do not need to install Win8 again. Windows 10 key is different than your Windows 8 key after it is activated.

There is a vbscript here you can get to find your key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

halkar wrote: »
    Windows 8 laptops does not have stickers with keys. Your key is in the bios. There are tools to get the key from bios. However if your Win 10 upgrade is activated you do not need the key. You can just do fresh install and Windows will check your previous activation. You do not need to install Win8 again. Windows 10 key is different than your Windows 8 key after it is activated.

There is a vbscript here you can get to find your key

cheers,yeah i checked and mine is fully activated, so will i just run the win 10 media i created and forget the HP recovery.

BTW i ran that vbscript and got a key but i had also ran Produkey both gave me different keys :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭halkar

projectgtr wrote: »
    cheers,yeah i checked and mine is fully activated, so will i just run the win 10 media i created and forget the HP recovery.

BTW i ran that vbscript and got a key but i had also ran Produkey both gave me different keys :confused:

Produkey probably reading your Win8 key from bios. That is no longer used after Win10 activated unless you reinstall Win8. The key you got from script is your new Win10 key. You can keep it somewhere safe but i doubt you will need it as your activation is stored at MS and it is based on your hardware and old Windows. For example if you remove your hard drive with Windows activated and put in another computer it will become not activated and you will need new key.

To be on the safe side you can take an image of your laptop to external disk as backup. There are free imaging tools easy to use for this. I use macrium reflect.

Advertisement