Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top ten design elements in bicycle-friendly Copenhagen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I watched all 10 episodes and they were very interesting. The aspects which stood out the most are stairway bicycle ramps, cargo bikes, bicycle accommodation on public transport and foot rests at junctions. I can see many of these elements becoming integral to our fair city (Dublin) as well as other cities and urban areas nationwide. I'll look at the four aspects mentioned above in somewhat greater detail:

1. Stairway Bicycle Ramps: There are countless parks in cities and towns across Ireland which feature stairways in some shape or form. From a would-be cyclist perspective, I'd find it troublesome carrying a bike up a set of stairs especially, if they are very steep. Stairway bicycle ramps take a huge weight of the cyclist's shoulders, literally. While some people may have reservations about putting metal ramps on older stairways i.e. those that are architecturally rich, there are undoubtedly, ways of making ramps that are sympathetic to their built form.
    2. Cargo Bikes: These are a fantastic solution to the SUV or even small vans. In particular, journey's under 5 kilometers (the bulk of which are made by cars in Ireland) for small to medium errands could easily be made by a cargo bike. Crossing their design with the increasingly popular rickshaw vehicle would make for a versatile solution for all weather conditions given that rickshaws are often sheltered from mother nature.
    3. Bicycle Accommodation On Public Transport: If modal share between bicycles and public transport is to be taken seriously, public transport providers in Dublin and nationwide will have to make a much bigger effort to accommodate them (the cyclists). Currently, the only transport provider (s) showing leadership in this respect are Irish Rail and the Luas from cycle and ride facilities to allowing cyclists to bring their bikes on board. Now, capacity is an issue on trains and trams alike. That's not to say that small adjustments couldn't be made. For example, additional cyclists-only carriages could be added whereby berthing facilities could be placed instead of some of the seats.
    4. Footrests At Junctions: The brilliance of this concept is down to the fact that cyclists can temporarily relax without dismounting or standing up while being stationary. The motivational slogans on them are an added bonus as it acts as a reminder that they (the cyclists) are doing their part to improve the environment. I imagine that other positive messages could be inscribed as well. For example, there could be ones which emphasize the physical and mental health benefits of cycling to reinforce that it's not just commuting they're doing, it's exercise. However, that's a blinding statement of the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I posted the thread in a hurry, and I haven't had a chance to watch all the "episodes" myself.

I now realise the importance of the word "design" in the title. The Danes are of course proud of their design culture. Have a look at any episode of Borgen, by way of example!

Given the strength of Copenhagen cycle culture, perhaps an emphasis on design is a bit of a luxury from our perspective. The provision of footrests is an example of that, I would suggest. It's the sort of feature that provided when the basic infrastructure is taken as a given, perhaps.

I saw and used one of those footrests while in Copenhagen, and I appreciated it at both a physical and psychological level. It was convenient, and it also gave a prominent cultural signal that cyclists were valued. Another design detail I noticed along some of the main thoroughfares, such as Nørrebrogade, was the provision of small ramps alongside the cycle paths. These allow cyclists to cross easily anywhere along the route, and some are even painted white to make sure they're noticed.

Advertisement