Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coach speed limit on motorways

• 11-06-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Should it be upped to 112 km/h / 70 mph, like it is in the UK?

There are fuel economy implications, but it is not for the state to decide on those matters.

In the UK the speed limit for coaches on motorways is 70 mph. Here it is 100km/h. Do we think we know better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

n97 mini wrote: »
    Should it be upped to 112 km/h / 70 mph, like it is in the UK?

There are fuel economy implications, but it is not for the state to decide on those matters.

In the UK the speed limit for coaches on motorways is 70 mph. Here it is 100km/h. Do we think we know better?

UK limit is 70 but by law all coaches have to be fitted with a limiter set to 62mph/100kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Only newer vehicles have to have limiters, and the limit is 65 mph.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've often thought if you had coaches fitted with airbags or seat belt detectors (beep when not being used), that the speed limit should be increased to 120km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

On two lane motorways, which most of ours are, coaches are not permitted to use the outside lane. 100 kph is plenty fast enough to have to slow down from to avoid the ignorant fools that come down slip roads at 70/80 assuming and enforcing their "right of way".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

gbob wrote: »
    On two lane motorways, which most of ours are, coaches are not permitted to use the outside lane. 100 kph is plenty fast enough to have to slow down from to avoid the ignorant fools that come down slip roads at 70/80 assuming and enforcing their "right of way".

only trucks are banned I thought, and buses / coaches are allowed use them

• Advertisement

only trucks are banned I though and buses / coaches are allowed use them

Unfortunately it's one of those grey areas we're all so familiar with..

Road Traffic Act states vehicles subject to an ordinary speed limit of 80 kph are not permitted to use the right hand lane, the question is exactly what the ordinary means, ie on an ordinary road. Ifaik the most recent Rotr includes buses/coaches as being in that category of excluded vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

On that topic, it's only very recently (i.e. three or four years ago) that the rules changed to allow double-deck coaches to be treated the same as single-deck coaches. Until then they were still bound by the same 45mph restriction that was put in force when all double-deckers had open rear platforms, crash gearboxes (non synchromesh) and poorly performing vacuum operated brakes!

It was this change in the rules that allowed BE to start using double-deck coaches (as opposed to double-deck buses) for longer routes.

C635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Unfortunately it's one of those grey areas we're all so familiar with..

Road Traffic Act states vehicles subject to an ordinary speed limit of 80 kph are not permitted to use the right hand lane, the question is exactly what the ordinary means, ie on an ordinary road. Ifaik the most recent Rotr includes buses/coaches as being in that category of excluded vehicles.

it's a ridiculous law anyway...the motorways are almost empty and noone is delayed more than a few seconds by a large vehicle overtaking and it isn't reasonable to expect a truck/bus capable of 85km/h to follow one only doing 75 km/h for a hundred km or more. Climbing lanes on the worst inclines would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

corktina wrote: »
    it's a ridiculous law anyway...the motorways are almost empty and noone is delayed more than a few seconds by a large vehicle overtaking and it isn't reasonable to expect a truck/bus capable of 85km/h to follow one only doing 75 km/h for a hundred km or more. Climbing lanes on the worst inclines would help

Have to disagree on the first part.. there's nothing worse than being stuck behind an overtaking truck as it inches past another one on the inside lane at maybe 90 km/h.. certainly takes a lot longer than a few seconds in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Have to disagree on the first part.. there's nothing worse than being stuck behind an overtaking truck as it inches past another one on the inside lane at maybe 90 km/h.. certainly takes a lot longer than a few seconds in most cases.

What's the story on dual carraigways (especially the 120kph ones) where the truck is overtaking a tractor as it passes an industrial loader in the hard shoulder and a group of cyclists trying to pass the loader ..... (seen between Carrigtohil and little island )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's the story on dual carraigways (especially the 120kph ones) where the truck is overtaking a tractor as it passes an industrial loader in the hard shoulder and a group of cyclists trying to pass the loader ..... (seen between Carrigtohil and little island )

Dual carriageway road are different to motorways in that the hard shoulder may be used by slower moving vehicles "when safe to do so", so if a tractor decides to use it and gets caught behind a cyclist then he'll have to wait until it's safe to move out round them. Also the right hand lane restriction doesn't apply on a dual carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I know whilst in the left lane coaches are limited to 100km/h, but I thought coaches were allowed to slightly go over 100km/h to overtake slower moving traffic. Certainly on most intercity coach trips I've been on this has been the case.

BenShermin wrote: »
    I know whilst in the left lane coaches are limited to 100km/h, but I thought coaches were allowed to slightly go over 100km/h to overtake slower moving traffic. Certainly on most intercity coach trips I've been on this has been the case.

No they're electronically limited to 100kph, and it would be extremely rare to find any operator that would risk tampering with the limiter. Bear in mind though that the speedos are calibrated to be exact wheras your car speedo is allowed to over read by as much as 10%, so it can often appear as thought the truck/coach is travelling faster than it is.

Example; your car may be displaying 60mph and over reading by 6mph so your actual speed is 54mph.. so you may be surprised to see a coach overtaking when you believe you're at or around the 100 kph limit.

there is patently something worse than a car driver being delayed a few seconds (surely noone was ever delayed by as much as a minute by this) and thats a trucker being delayed by up to half an hour by not being allowed to pass. This can have serious implications for a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But many countries have from time to time applied speed limits for fuel economy reasons.
    bk wrote: »
    I've often thought if you had coaches fitted with airbags or seat belt detectors (beep when not being used), that the speed limit should be increased to 120km/h
    Are there air bags suited for use on public buses, where a seat may have either an adult, child or baby? Are such air bags suited for fitting in a seat back?

What of the people who are using the toilet?
    An 'ordinary speed limit' is a technical term and is a speed limit applied to a vehicle type as opposed to a road.
    Conway635 wrote: »
    On that topic, it's only very recently (i.e. three or four years ago) that the rules changed to allow double-deck coaches to be treated the same as single-deck coaches. Until then they were still bound by the same 45mph restriction that was put in force when all double-deckers had open rear platforms, crash gearboxes (non synchromesh) and poorly performing vacuum operated brakes!
    In fairness, the main reasons for the bus-specific limit if that you may have a large number of passengers, in particular a large number of standees.
    there's nothing worse than being stuck behind an overtaking truck as it inches past another one on the inside lane at maybe 90 km/h
    Surely an exaggeration.
    BenShermin wrote: »
    The speed limit is the speed limit. Watch the speedometer in a modern coach on the motorway and it will sit at 100km/h (or indeed 62mph on the UK imports).

Victor wrote: »

What of the people who are using the toilet?

That's the issue I have with toilets on board coaches, people using them are breaking the law by not being seated and belted. The driver may in dereliction of duty by not ensuring people are seated and belted. And the operator may be held responsible if any person was to be injured whilst using the provided facilities. It may take a test case to clarify those issues.

An 'ordinary speed limit' is a technical term and is a speed limit applied to a vehicle type as opposed to a road.

That's exactly my point, coaches are subject to different speed limits depending on road type, so what exactly is the "ordinary" limit?

But many countries have from time to time applied speed limits for fuel economy reasons.
    The state does not impose the current limits for fuel efficiency reasons, so therefore to argue they shouldn't be lifted for fuel efficiency reasons is not relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

this is interesting - we must apparently bow to the superior wisdom of the United Kingdom (!) but also the Irish State may make no new policies it hasn't already made.

An increase from 100-120km/h for any vehicle increases the kinetic energy of that vehicle 44% (proportional to square of velocity) and the power required to overcome drag increases 72% (proportional to cube of velocity). The first of these is pretty important not so much if you're a bus passenger so much as it you are driving a small economical car said bus might hit even with modern crash energy standards.

dowlingm wrote: »
    this is interesting - we must apparently bow to the superior wisdom of the United Kingdom (!) but also the Irish State may make no new policies it hasn't already made.
    Would you care to enlighten us as to why the limit is what it is here? Not speculation, but actual facts?

The UK has far bigger research budgets than Ireland, but if we know better, I'm all ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Grandad99

I work as a coach driver.

From Naas to Cork for example is two lanes, if I don’t overtake my journey time is increased by 30 minutes as there are always those who are entitled to drive at 80 Kmh. My coach is subject to an ordinary speed limit of 100 Kmh while on a motorway.

I accept getting me there quicker is no excuse for breaking the rules but I think I can legally use the outside lane on two lane motorways to overtake a slower moving vehicle and move immediately back after doing so.

The latest list of offences incurring penalty points publishedby the RSA clearly states the offence is ‘’Driving a vehicle (Subject to an ordinary speed limit of 90 Kmh or less) on the outside lane of a motorway’’

As my coach is subject to an ordinary speed limit of 100 Kmh on motorways, I don’t think I could be given the 1 point for this offence.

If I was to stay in the outside lane holding up cars who are entitled to do 120 Kmh, that could be considered another listed offence ‘’Driving without reasonable consideration’’ which carries 2 points.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Points%20Chart1.pdf

The Rules of the Road published by the RSA, under Motorways, it clearly states;

‘’ You must not drive a type of vehicle that is restricted to a maximum vehicle speed limit of 80 km/h or less in the traffic lane nearest the centre median of the motorway (the outside lane). An exception to this prohibition applies at any location where the speed limit is 80km/h or less’’

As my coach issubject to a maximum speed limit of 100 Kmh on motorways, I don’t think this rule can apply to coaches.

However further on in this document, Lane 3; it states;

You must not use the lane nearest the central median (lane 2 or lane 3,depending on the motorway width) if you are driving:
    • a passenger vehicle with seating for more than 8 passengers (aside from the driver)
    [URL=]http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html[/URL]

In summary;

As regards a coach using the outside lane on a 2 lane motorway, to overtake a slower moving vehicle and immediately moving back in again;

I cannot see any penalty point offence.

The Rules of the Road clearly say you can, and then further on, say you can’t, (But where it says you can’t might only apply to 3 lane motorways)

I have never been stopped for this, but if I ever am, I carry a copy of the Rules of the Road with me, if the Garda insists that I should not be there, end of, and gives me the penalty point, then I think I would take my chance with the Judge.

What do people think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭currins_02

I agree with much of your post Grandad99 and I too work as a coach driver and also a qualified driving instructor in all classes.

The points I think you should be cautious on are firstly check the revision on your Rules of the Road book, noted on the back near the barcode. AFAIK the last print run was in early 2011 so the information regarding many things such as drink driving (updated in October 2011 I beleive), representative vehicles for driving test (updated in January 2013), even the speed limit info in some cases is wrong. www.rulesoftheroad.ie also suffers from this, check this link: http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/speed-limits/speed-limits_for-vehicles.html, which carries in correct info for buses, it states a double decker is subject to a 65km/hr limit whereas this was changed quite a while ago, now only a double decker FITTED FOR STANDING PASSENGERS is subject to that limit, a fully seated double decker (like the ones Bus Eireann, Dublin Coach etc run) is subjetc to the normal limit of 80km/hr. The link and printed version makes no reference at all to trucks being allowed 90Km/hr (since April 2012) or Buses being allowed 100km/hr when either vehicle is on a motorway or dualcarriageway. I have complained aboout and queried this and I am told that (not my line but what I was told) the Rules of the Road is a guidance document and is not in itself law, laws change frequently and changes pertaining to commercial vehicles should be communicated at the annual Driver CPC modules which are a mandatory requirement. As such waving a Rules of the Road at a guard, while an obvious step to many, will be of little relevance or help and even more so if you met certain judges! It should be noted the web version of Rules of the Road has the old text re drink driving but has an external link to the RSA website for the new & current regulations.

Also, if you check the penalty points statistics on the RSA website which are updated monthly and narrow it down to "Driver Offences" in Dublin City Council area in May 2013 you will note that in that area alone 45 points in total (between on the spots and court convictions) were issued for "Breach of motorway outside lane driving rule". A colleague of mine received 1 of those points and was advised by a solictor that appealling would be futile and potentially would result in more.

It's nonsense in my opinion but the reality is it's the law. Some of the early posts in this thread are misinformed and idealistic. It is an EU reg that coaches have a limiter set at 100km/hr regardless of local speed limits (as is demonstrated by the nonsensical UK situation where a 70mph speed limit applies but Europe decress a 62.5mph limiter setting). Second, anyone, in a car, coach, van, motorbike, who has been behind a truck doing 90km/hr passing his mate doing 89km/hr should be aware this takes miles and minutes. It breeds frustration and road rage as well as obvious delays. Most guards are practical about it in my opinion, if you get out, pass, get back in quickly without causing obstruction you'll be fine, if you get out, cause cars (or otherwise) to brake in the right lane chances are you will be done and lastly if you pull out at Dublin Airport on the M1 creep past and return to the left lane near Balbriggan you probably will be (and in my opinion should be) done for it.

currins_02 wrote: »
    Also, if you check the penalty points statistics on the RSA website which are updated monthly and narrow it down to "Driver Offences" in Dublin City Council area in May 2013 you will note that in that area alone 45 points in total (between on the spots and court convictions) were issued for "Breach of motorway outside lane driving rule". A colleague of mine received 1 of those points and was advised by a solictor that appealling would be futile and potentially would result in more.

As the only section of motorway in the city is the port tunnel and adjacent roads, this is possibly very reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

As the only section of motorway in the city is the port tunnel and adjacent roads, this is possibly very reasonable.

Isn't all that subject to an 80kmh speed limit such that the issue of offences shouldn't arise based on preceding posts or am I missing something?

Good point, but trucks and coaches are banned from the right hand lanes in the tunnel.

I have complained aboout and queried this and I am told that (not my line but what I was told) the Rules of the Road is a guidance document and is not in itself law, laws change frequently and changes pertaining to commercial vehicles should be communicated at the annual Driver CPC modules which are a mandatory requirement.

Thanks for the reply, what do you think of the links below,it seems to make it clear coaches whose speed limit of 100 Kmh is greater than 90 Kmh so are allowed in the outside lane.

d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a33

And was amended here:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0074.html

Grandad99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, what do you think of the links below,it seems to make it clear coaches whose speed limit of 100 Kmh is greater than 90 Kmh so are allowed in the outside lane.

d ) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 50 mph is prescribed by regulations under section 44 (1) of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic.

And was amended here:

IMO it is clear that from the change to the bus limit from 80 to 100 kph the law banning outside lane use was no longer applicable, the 2012 amendment along with the explanatory note referencing HGVs only removes any doubt.

Only newer vehicles have to have limiters, and the limit is 65 mph.

No. Like I said the set speed for limiters is 100 kph as it is an EU requirement. As for older vehicles, anything pre-1987 in UK can be set to 70mph, not many 25 year old coaches left and I imagine even fewer passengers being happy to travel in one.

My opinion is that there is no real justification for the lower limits particularly on motorways, the statistics already show bus/coach as being safer than cars so it is a nonsensical situation but one that is not likely to change. It is only a few years since we got the ridiculous 80 kph/65 for deckers increased to 100. The remaining 65 limit for buses designed for standees needs to be removed, not only does it restrict the use of more accessible low- floor vehicles but it also creates dangerous situations on motorways.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    IMO it is clear that from the change to the bus limit from 80 to 100 kph the law banning outside lane use was no longer applicable, the 2012 amendment along with the explanatory note referencing HGVs only removes any doubt.

Yeah I used that argument at my latest cpc, was told by the instructor (who also helped write the cpc legislation for the UK and ex ulsterbus manager) that coaches are still not permitted in the right lane in Ireland. As per page 122 of Rotr. Although he hinted this will soon change, watch out for the next edition for changes.

• Advertisement

Yeah I used that argument at my latest cpc, was told by the instructor (who also helped write the cpc legislation for the UK and ex ulsterbus manager) that coaches are still not permitted in the right lane in Ireland. As per page 122 of Rotr. Although he hinted this will soon change, watch out for the next edition for changes.

As previously pointed out ROTR is just a guideline, the specific law as linked above and the exact wording of it is the only thing that has any legal standing. Coaches are NOT subject to a 80 kph/50mph limit so are not subject to the restriction.

As it happens my CPC instructor held the same opinion as yours but that does not mean they are correct.

What I have been told (and my colleague who was done in the last 6 weeks was told the same) by the RSA and Garda press office is that under Irish and European law coaches/buses are not allowed in the lane closest the central median on motorways, unfortunately on a 2 lane motorway that is the right hand lane.

I was told the clarification implemented on 1st April 2012 in the Road Traffic Act 2011 regarding vehicles subject to a normal limit of 90km/hr or less was merely created to protect truck and bus drivers in some limited circumstances. For instance, if a truck or bus driver cam along and the left lane was blocked due to a queue on a slip road but they intended continuing on the motorway, previous to the amendment they were breaking the law by taking the right lane, such stationary traffic would constitute a blockage of the left lane which would allow them temporarily use the right land to proceed. As another example, if a vehicle broke down in the left lane, previous to the amendment it was illegal for them to pass on the right. I am told that in no way is another vehicle travelling at say 70-80km/hr considered a blockage or obstruction.

Fleet magazine, a generally respected Irish trade publication (although I wonder why myself) published an article after the implementation basically saying ok truckers/busmen it's now legal for you to pass. They have since retracted that statement on a number of occasions and one of their contributors has again published a retraction in the June 13 edition on page 50 in the bottom right in a red box.

A nonsensical situation but I fear we are again being penalised not by our own politicians but be our lords and masters in the EU and the fact our motorways in the main have only 2 lanes is irrelevant to them as they seek pan European motorway rules.

By pure coincidence I have happened this morning to be in a major Irish book shop chain and noted a staff member stocking up on "Rules of the Road" books, I checked and they are now "Revision No.3: June 2013". At a glance a lot of updated material. For instance:
    - p114, now contains a speed limit table which is updated re trucks, buses & trailers.
    - p143 states the following:
    "You MUST NOT use the lane nearest the central median, that is, the outside lane (lane 2 or lane 3, depending on the number of lanes), if you are driving:
    * a goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass of more than 3,500 kilograms, such as a lorry or heavy goods vehicle,
    * a passenger vehicle with seating for more than 8 passengers (aside from the driver), such as a bus, or
    * a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan
    You may use it, however, in exceptional circumstances when you cannot proceed in the inner lane because of an obstruction ahead."

Alot more clear cut and points 1 & 3 would both precule artics from the outside lane in my humble opinion. The clarifier is now there regarding obstructions but I, based on what I've seen and heard, wouldn't reckon another truck/bus/vehicle doing 80k would be an "obstruction"

Website www.rotr.ie is down "for maintenance" with a note saying it is being "updated"

"You MUST NOT use the lane nearest the central median, that is, the outside lane (lane 2 or lane 3, depending on the number of lanes), if you are driving:
    * a goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass of more than 3,500 kilograms, such as a lorry or heavy goods vehicle,
    * a passenger vehicle with seating for more than 8 passengers (aside from the driver), such as a bus, or
    * a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan

This now appears to have changed, it no longer says;

* a passenger vehicle with seating for more than 8 passengers (aside from the driver), such as a bus.

Page 143 here;
    http://www.rotr.ie/rules-of-the-road-eng.pdf This publication is Revision No.4, dated December 2013.

What do people think now ?

If my coach can legally travel at 100 Kmh on a motorway, I can't see any reason why I cannot legally move to the outside lane, pass a slower moving vehicle and move back to the left lane again.

The Rules of the road no longer say I can't, and the only penalty point offence regarding the outside lane is for vehicles subject to an ordinary speed limit of 90 Kmh, which my coach is not.

I thought that had been the case for quite a while. Isn't it only the vehicles limited to 80k that can't use the outside lane?

corktina wrote: »
    I thought that had been the case for quite a while. Isn't it only the vehicles limited to 80k that can't use the outside lane?

It has not been very clear in the past, different posters here have had different opinions.

Would be interested in current opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

at a recent cpc training day this issue arose,apparently legislation changed slightly to permit an over take of a slow moving vehicle provided you pull back in once the overtake is complete,my attitude to it as it stands is if i cant overtake just keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front,came up behind a car recently on the motorway doing 70km/h,i know 120km/h is the maximum permissable speed limit on the motorway but if a car is doing 70km/h you could overtake it,plus its actually dangerous to be driving at such a low speed such as that situation,but its all part of everyday life i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grandad99 wrote: »
    The Rules of the road no longer say I can't, and the only penalty point offence regarding the outside lane is for vehicles subject to an ordinary speed limit of 90 Kmh, which my coach is not.

The points offences / supporting SIs for them are what matter - the ROTR is an interpretation, and not always an accurate one, of the law rather than being the actual law.

I'm pretty certain there is no longer any restriction on a coach from using the outside lane.

I understand the rules of the road are only a guidance document, but I think these are the Statutory Instruments that give coaches with an ordinary speed limit of 100 Kmh the right to use the outside lane for overtaking.

And was amended to ban vehicles with an ordinary speed limitof 90 Kmh only from the outside lane here:

If I was to stay out there blocking cars that can do 120 Kmh, that would be a different matter. As long as I pull back in after overtaking, then I can’t see how I could get points.

Advertisement