Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israeli Secret service operated in NI

• 12-06-2012 11:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmfaff/813/813we16.htm

This is from a UK parliamentary paper. The Israelis helped the British in their early counter terrorism strategy in NI.

Why has this never been raised by the media ?

Israel has played a significant and largely secret role within the dark world of Britain's covert operations against terrorist groups. As long ago as the early 1970s Rafael Eitan, the then head of the Israeli hit-squad known as the "Kidon" toured Northern Ireland and later the Special Air Services (SAS) base in Hereford, England. Rumor has it that Eitan was less than impressed with British training, tactics or their "kill" rate. Within months of his visit there began a number of fundamental changes in security policy and operations in the county. More SAS were to be there and a number of specialized anti-terrorist groups would eventually be formed, ranging from the 14th Intelligence and Security Company, once described as the "thinking man's SAS" to the Mobile Reconnaissance Force or MRF which would later become the Force Reconnaissance Unit (FRU). The FRU was to be later involved in the targeting of suspected Republicans for assassination by the infamous Loyalist death squads in Northern Island.

Indeed, Britain's overall counter-terror organization was held in such poor esteem by the experienced Israelis that Israel's intelligence service Mossad's Kidon hit-team took the law into its own hands by assassinating two of the Palestinian terrorists suspected of involvement in the Black September Massacre at the 1972 Munich Olympics. One was found dead in his London hotel room, while the second fell under the wheels of a car in High Holborn, much to the annoyance of MIS (the security service dealing with counter espionage against British organizations by foreign powers, including counter-terrorism) and the fury of Whitehall. The 1988 killing of three Irish Republican Army (IRA) members in Gibraltar by the SAS was reportedly viewed as a bungled operation by Mossad who had originally tracked the Irish terrorists who they suspected of running guns from Lebanon. Wishing to avoid further problems with London by not attempting to kill or capture them on British soil, the surveillance operation was handed over to MIS, and of course later to the SAS, whose heavy-handed approach finally prevented interrogation of the suspects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

PIRA trained and shared resources with the PLO and Hizbullah.
    What's the big deal if true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

JustinDee wrote: »
    PIRA trained and shared resources with the PLO and Hizbullah.
    What's the big deal if true?

If Israeli intel. helped form the UKs early military policy in NI, it is a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmfaff/813/813we16.htm

This is from a UK parliamentary paper. The Israelis helped the British in their early counter terrorism strategy in NI.

Israel has played a significant and largely secret role within the dark world of Britain's covert operations against terrorist groups. As long ago as the early 1970s Rafael Eitan, the then head of the Israeli hit-squad known as the "Kidon" toured Northern Ireland and later the Special Air Services (SAS) base in Hereford, England. Rumor has it that Eitan was less than impressed with British training, tactics or their "kill" rate. Within months of his visit there began a number of fundamental changes in security policy and operations in the county. More SAS were to be there and a number of specialized anti-terrorist groups would eventually be formed, ranging from the 14th Intelligence and Security Company, once described as the "thinking man's SAS" to the Mobile Reconnaissance Force or MRF which would later become the Force Reconnaissance Unit (FRU). The FRU was to be later involved in the targeting of suspected Republicans for assassination by the infamous Loyalist death squads in Northern Island.

Indeed, Britain's overall counter-terror organization was held in such poor esteem by the experienced Israelis that Israel's intelligence service Mossad's Kidon hit-team took the law into its own hands by assassinating two of the Palestinian terrorists suspected of involvement in the Black September Massacre at the 1972 Munich Olympics. One was found dead in his London hotel room, while the second fell under the wheels of a car in High Holborn, much to the annoyance of MIS (the security service dealing with counter espionage against British organizations by foreign powers, including counter-terrorism) and the fury of Whitehall. The 1988 killing of three Irish Republican Army (IRA) members in Gibraltar by the SAS was reportedly viewed as a bungled operation by Mossad who had originally tracked the Irish terrorists who they suspected of running guns from Lebanon. Wishing to avoid further problems with London by not attempting to kill or capture them on British soil, the surveillance operation was handed over to MIS, and of course later to the SAS, whose heavy-handed approach finally prevented interrogation of the suspects.

I have no symmpathy for terrorists and i am unsure why you are bringing the Massacre at the Munich Olympics into it...i am not saying i agree with the way Israel has countered Palestinian terrorism or dealt with palestinians. But helping with strategy is not in and of itself illegal or dubious.

The British GOVT was tough on terrorist ...well what were the terrorists teddy bears??

And why does it matter now ???

I have no sympathy for terrorists.

The IRA attempted to manipulate the law, the judicary and political system at every turn.
    I believe in law and due process ...but they did everything they could to manipulate the law

Why you feel you need to highlight any Israeli involvement in policy is puzzling. The British govt stands alone in responsibilty for what it did and how it did it.
    I dont really i care who 'influenced' something like Operation Demetrius i care who ordered it and carried it out. I care about what the British GOVT did and what laws THEY broke and what the British army did.

I dont see how bringing in a foreign party from half way around the world into it is going to help anyone attribute responsibility correctly and legally in northern Ireland to where it lies.

And it lies with terrorist groups and in some part with the British govt and political parties in NI

Also the way you word it 'Israel has played a significant and largely secret role within the dark world of Britain's covert operations against terrorist groups.'...Its as if you think fighting terrorism is a bad thing.

The terrorists are not the good guys...it does not mean the other side is the good guy ..but the terrorists are never the good guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its a 2003 Chinese newspaper article attached to a question made in the UK parliament, which is not quite the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

This is from a UK parliamentary paper. The Israelis helped the British in their early counter terrorism strategy in NI
    Its from a newspaper owned by a Thai fraudster that was famous for all kinds of baseless claims. Not a govt paper. Brought up by Martha Mundy of all people.
    Most likely because it is just rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

Don't forget the IRA training FARC guerillas in South America. Colombia Three anyone? The "meddling hand" of the Irish strikes again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I have no symmpathy for terrorists
    Does that include state sponsored terrorism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I have no sympathy for terrorists.

Have you any idea what brought about the birth of the PIRA and the circumstance which led to their creation. How about the simple demand for basic civil Rights and the apartheid like Gerrymandering system. Brutality was regularly used to suppress the Civil Rights campaigners/marchers. How about the behaviour of the Nazi B-Specials and the infamous RUC?

It's a pattern repeated around the globe. People protest for basic rights and are brutally suppressed by the reigning regime. So when peacefully means fail, some inevitably will turn to the gun to fight for their cause. So who are the really terrorist's? Those who rule and created the circumstances for conflict, or those who fight and resist?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Nazi B-Specials ?
    QUOTE]
    So is it all Police forces you call Nazi or only ones you don't like? What about a Peeler who stops you speeding? Do you drive home and tell your folks about that bloody Nazi stopping me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

So is it all Police forces you call Nazi or only ones you don't like?

Its probably just sectarian police forces who beat the crap out of Catholics he doesn't like. I've no idea why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement