Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power supply for DART and LUAS in power cuts

• 08-12-2013 1:09pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the threat of upcoming power cuts, how would it affect the running of the DART or Luas? Are they deemed essential services under contingency plans or will they be crippled? Is supply flowing in at different places meaning different sectors could be cut off?
    I assume there's back up generators but they'd only last for a certain amount of time. Even if the line still held power, surely the stations and ticket machines would not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭thomasj

ixoy wrote: »
    With the threat of upcoming power cuts, how would it affect the running of the DART or Luas? Are they deemed essential services under contingency plans or will they be crippled? Is supply flowing in at different places meaning different sectors could be cut off?
    I assume there's back up generators but they'd only last for a certain amount of time. Even if the line still held power, surely the stations and ticket machines would not.

I could be wrong but isn't the electricity for the DARTS supplied by independent company energia. Aren't they based in huntstown?

Not sure about luas though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/contingency-plans-in-the-event-of-a-blackout-29819201.html

Irish Rail has warned that there is no contingency plan strong enough to continue to power Luas and Dart services

While diesel trains could operate in other parts of the country, Irish Rail relies on electricity for signalling and to light stations and run ticket machines.

Looks like the diesels might not be running either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

why would IE warn about power outages on the LUAS?

Maybe they just know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

If there was a all out strike and no electricity, i assume that all workplaces would close. Would hospitals still be able to run, im sure their generators could only last so long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If they affect hospitals in any meaningful way it'll give the govt carte blanche to literally smash the ESB unions. They'll be careful to avoid that I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let's keep this relevant to Commuting & Transport and not get into the nitty-gritty of the dispute.

I think any potential impact will be relatively modest and certainly not as bad as the strikes in the 1970s and 1980s.

1. Luas generates it's own electricity at Sandyford. Normally this is sold into the grid at peak times.
    2. ESB / Electric Ireland only has about 40% of the All-Ireland generation capacity. Even if no ESB or wind generation is available, there would be perhaps 5,700MW of other generation available against a peak demand of about 7,000MW (peak demand in the last 24 hours was 6,024MW). So, even if some ESB or wind capacity is online, there would be no problems.
    3. Eirgrid, not ESB controls the network.
    4. Most modern power stations can run for several days with minimal staffing, i.e. management only.
    5. Issues will primarily arise when something goes wrong - a fault or breakage that needs repair.
    6. The worst effect would be after an extended period of dry weather, followed by calm, clear skies - the weather would be at it's coldest and wind and hydro generation minimised.
    7. Peak demand tends to be between 3-7 pm, on work days, with cold, clear weather. Take a look at http://www.sem-o.com/Pages/default.aspx
    If there was a all out strike and no electricity, i assume that all workplaces would close. Would hospitals still be able to run, im sure their generators could only last so long?
    Hospitals have generators, but they also tend to be prioritised for supplies - different areas are on different circuits. If there is a need to cut supplies, residential areas would be targeted during the day and commercial areas in the evening.

Victor wrote: »
    3. Eirgrid, not ESB controls the network.
    I think this is on paper, and that the work is actually done by ESB Networks.

If ESB cut 40% of the power from the grid, there will be blackouts, and these will be during rush hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Looks like this won't be an issue after all, the strike notice is being withdrawn: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/deal-results-in-withdrawal-of-strike-threat-at-esb-1.1621044

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It would of never came to a all out strike, people and media were just to worried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement