Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aung San Suu Kyi to visit Ireland for 1 Day Visit in June

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Will she be making a public address? Probably one of the few global figures that I'd rouse from my crushing apathy to go see. A remarkable individual. Reminiscent of Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, and all of the great leaders of noble causes throughout history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I suppose there'll be a stampede of our political parasites to be associated with her. It would be an insult to her to have any one of them in the same room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I don't know Bono is going to react to this. He will be probably the first one in the queue to meet her.

In fairness, he did do exceptional work in raising awareness of the issues in Burma. He'd be pretty deserving of being one of the first to greet her.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭musicmania

We've already had Queen Elizabeth II and Barack Obama coming over here last year.

this will be another day in for Ireland to Treasure for years to come.

Don't forget that the Dalai Lama also visited here last year. I was there for his speech in Kildare and I will be at the Electric Burma concert. I can't wait for Monday to come. All the sweeter I have won a signed DVD of the concert on the Electric Burma FB page :)

Anyway my reasons for posting is to let people know I got an email this morning stating extra tickets for the concert have been released this morning priced €75 which are the 2nd level price.

@Denerick there is a public address after the main event on Monday outside the theatre. All I know about that is that Eleanor McEvoy is singing Happy Birthday to Aung San Suu Kyi as it is her birthday on Tuesday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

PomBear wrote: »
    In fairness, he did do exceptional work in raising awareness of the issues in Burma. He'd be pretty deserving of being one of the first to greet her.

Agreed, I have a pretty all-encompassing blind hatred of Bono for a number of reasons, his involvement with the Burmese cause however is one of the few I'll let him off the hook for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I'm having a marvelous time hoping she asks a politician / senior civil servant about our commitment to democracy in the light of our habit of forcing our electorate to replay referenda until we vote the right way though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

musicmania wrote: »
    @Denerick there is a public address after the main event on Monday outside the theatre. All I know about that is that Eleanor McEvoy is singing Happy Birthday to Aung San Suu Kyi as it is her birthday on Tuesday :)

Any idea of what time the public address is at? Its hard to find a specific time other than 'after the event!'

Beau wrote: »
    Any idea of what time the public address is at? Its hard to find a specific time other than 'after the event!'

I received this information from Amnesty

http://www.amnesty.ie/welcomeaungsansuukyi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Very glad to see what's happening in Burma now and one of the very few politicians I'd like to see/speak to.
    I'm having a marvelous time hoping she asks a politician / senior civil servant about our commitment to democracy in the light of our habit of forcing our electorate to replay referenda until we vote the right way though!

I'm confused though where it's written that democracy is only voting on something once. I've read many definitions of democracy but I've never read that one. Perhaps you can direct me to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

Very disappointed I'm going to miss it. Would be wonderful to attend. If anyone hears of it being televised, it'd be great to know.

Her speech from Oslo is on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUPfkNXpZvQ

• Advertisement

mooliki wrote: »
    Very disappointed I'm going to miss it. Would be wonderful to attend. If anyone hears of it being televised, it'd be great to know.

Her speech from Oslo is on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUPfkNXpZvQ

I've heard nothing about it being televised. However there is going to be a DVD released of the concert.

meglome wrote: »
    I'm confused though where it's written that democracy is only voting on something once. I've read many definitions of democracy but I've never read that one. Perhaps you can direct me to it?

He should put it directly to Suu Kyi...

"I know the Burmese people have been through hell and all....but it's nothing compared to the time we had to vote in a referendum...TWICE!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I've heard nothing about it being televised. However there is going to be a DVD released of the concert.

I'm pretty sure RTE are showing the Ireland match on one channel and Fair City on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

For those that say that violence is the only way to bring change, well here is a person that proved you wrong. A women of grace and fortitude that puts us all to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

A remarkable woman who, should Burmese reforms continue, could one day be her country's leader.

Anyone know of anywhere I can watch the visit either online or on television?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Good to see Bono and Geldof drop their busy tax dodging schedules to come out and greet Ms Suu Kyi.

They've done a lot in Africa to throw out corrupt dictators so why not extend their experience to Burma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

Apparently live coverage from the Grand Canal plaza will be on RTE News online at 8.45, here.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0618/aung-san-suu-kyi-to-get-freedom-of-dublin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

cristoir wrote: »
    A remarkable woman who, should Burmese reforms continue, could one day be her country's leader.

Anyone know of anywhere I can watch the visit either online or on television?

Doubt it, her health doesn't seem to be that good and the Law in Myanmar currently blocks her from high office as she had a foreign husband. Apart from the military dictatorship, Burma/Myanmar has serious religious and ethnic issues to sort out too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

lol Vincent Browne said something like after two hours with Bono she'll wish she was back in jail in Burma.

Last night was absolutely brilliant. Amnesty done an excellent job with the organising of this event. From Riverdance to Lupe Fiasco, Bono to Martin Hayes everyone was great. Special mention must go to kate Tempest for the delivery of the poem she delivered. Outstanding and had everyone talking about it. Looking forward to reliving the whole event when my DVD arrives.
    I know a lot of people don't like Bono but I have to say he has supported ASSK for years and brought a lot of international attention to the Burma cause and for that he deserves to be commended and quite frankly I find it in bad taste some comments here and elsewhere. Credit where credit due. Last night was a celebration of Aung San Suu Kyi and as it said in the emails we received before the concert ASSK was the main attraction and everyone else a support act so why people are paying such attention to other aspects of a support acts life is beyond me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭fafy

Last night was absolutely brilliant. Amnesty done an excellent job with the organising of this event. From Riverdance to Lupe Fiasco, Bono to Martin Hayes everyone was great. Special mention must go to kate Tempest for the delivery of the poem she delivered. Outstanding and had everyone talking about it. Looking forward to reliving the whole event when my DVD arrives.
    I know a lot of people don't like Bono but I have to say he has supported ASSK for years and brought a lot of international attention to the Burma cause and for that he deserves to be commended and quite frankly I find it in bad taste some comments here and elsewhere. Credit where credit due. Last night was a celebration of Aung San Suu Kyi and as it said in the emails we received before the concert ASSK was the main attraction and everyone else a support act so why people are paying such attention to other aspects of a support acts life is beyond me :P

It was an amzing night, never been at something so special. There was great variety in the artists and it's hard to pick out one, but Damien Rice, for me stole the show musically. and was also the musician who was onstage more than anyone else, he did two tracks himself backed by Vivienne Long on Cello, he duetted with Bono on two more, and was there for the finale for "I Shall be Released" & "Get Up Stand Up".

There is remarkably little youtube or other footage available, as there was a strict policy on cameras.

Does anyone know when the DVD will be coming out of the Dublin event ?? and where it can be obtained ??

This is a must see video as it has both of ASSK's speeches. I've finally submitted my review and as soon as it is published I will link it here. I don't know when the DVD is coming out. All I know is I am definitely getting one. They emailed me to say it will take time but they won't forget me. There was someone in my row who recorded the ending from Walk On on a DSLR camera and since it was second row the quality surely is good so I hope it appears on YouTube.

Now I know this isn't from Dublin Mods but seriously anyone who was there on Monday will be interested in watching this interview on Sky. Watching it for me was like she had stepped into my head as her views are so similiar to what I believe myself. Of course I am not saying I am like ASSK. I wish I was and I strive to be a decent person but I am far from being the amazing person she is.

http://news.sky.com/home/video/world-news/video/16249940

my review of Electric Burma.

http://www.drop-d.ie/electric-burma/25560

Advertisement