Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New account on the Greens in government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

all I can see is that steak. lee marvin. :(

I wonder how FF will react to their heroic patriot being besmirched by a green.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The last time Dan Boyle was actually elected was way back in 2002 and he somehow still manges to remain in the media spotlight when it suits him. He is a little bit of a weasel politician and was frantically involved in the actual coalition agreement which he has now come to loathe - an agreement which would ensure that the then Taoiseach appointed him to the Seanad alongside him negotiating a position to ensure that he picked up the nice little perk of being Deputy Leader of Seanad Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I wish Dan Boyle would go away.
    Had to listen to him every week when the Greens were in government and we wasn't even an elected TD at the time. He's just a media whore with his constant tweeting and his 'music career'.
    In the last General Election he finished just above the 'Immigration Control Platform' candidate and he polled just 2.5% of the vote, losing his deposit. He got 3% of the vote in the 2009 European Elections.
    I don't think he should be allowed have an opinion on anything but now he's publishing a book and it's getting coverage in a national newspaper. My God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I suppose the book is the start of him appearing back on political shows as an "expert" now that his music career failed. God knows what he can be an expert on, his constant twitting was more of a hindrance to the Greens than a helpful communication tool to voters. Senators like him highlighted the Senate as a home for people who would struggle to get elected to the Dail if put before an open vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I hope he plants some trees to replace the ones cut down for paper for this book.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The last time Dan Boyle was actually elected was way back in 2002 and he somehow still manges to remain in the media spotlight when it suits him. He is a little bit of a weasel politician and was frantically involved in the actual coalition agreement which he has now come to loathe - an agreement which would ensure that the then Taoiseach appointed him to the Seanad alongside him negotiating a position to ensure that he picked up the nice little perk of being Deputy Leader of Seanad Éireann.

He may not be a model public servant but he was always a direct speaker. Anyway, I think the book will shed some light on the goings on in FF during the last government. Better then Martin Cullen going to ground and living the high life over in Florida, in fact he had the guts to stand at the last election. Cant say the same for the majority of the FF party especially those that held senior position.

Had to listen to him every week when the Greens were in government and we wasn't even an elected TD at the time. He's just a media whore with his constant tweeting and his 'music career'.
    In the last General Election he finished just above the 'Immigration Control Platform' candidate and he polled just 2.5% of the vote, losing his deposit. He got 3% of the vote in the 2009 European Elections.
    I don't think he should be allowed have an opinion on anything but now he's publishing a book and it's getting coverage in a national newspaper. My God.

We should ban people having an opinion now? No matter who he is, he is still a Irish citizen and afforded all the same rights as you or I.

He just did a Q&A, see here.

http://live.irishexaminer.com/Event/Dan_Boyle_Q_and_A

Actually quite an interesting. See what he says about the calibre of the people in the political system.
    Question A general question about the standard of public representatives: Dan O’Brien [no relation] of the Irish Times argued in an opinion piece this week that in his experience, “there is nowhere else in Europe where there are so many elected representatives of a calibre that does not mark them out for national leadership”. Based on your own time in the Dail and Seanad, would you agree?

Answer
    Unfortunately yes. Our political system encourages the election to the Oireachtas of too many effective local government representatives who lack the capacity and particularly the willingness to bring about change that will lead to a better political system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Probably best not to post in a thread about him then and put it back in a prominent place at the top of the threads/latest posts for others to see. Just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Some posters are under the mistaken impression that the thread is titled "I hate Dan Boyle, don't you hate him too?". If you can't do better in response to criticisms of Fianna Fáil than ad hominem attacks, please don't bother.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

He gives more background to the book here and the reasons he wrote it: http://corkindependent.com/stories/item/9681/2012-23/The-Insider:-Without-power-or-glory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/odeas-downfall-pioneered-a-new-way-for-politics-196342.html

its clear from his own account that it was willie o'deas own actions and the limerick leader turning on him realsing the audio, that triggered o'dea resignation finally, not the the green party who voted in confidence in him

Advertisement