Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic acts wanted for Weekend gigs

Options
  • 22-09-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

If you're an acoustic act (band, solo, or even comedy) looking for a venue with great acoustics and setting to play your music in then, we at Mr Mojo's Winebar, want you. We're always looking for new acts to play.

The premises are small but extremely cosy and there's always a great atmosphere.

If you, or anyone you know, is interested in playing, please contact us; mojosashford@gmail.com

We're located in Ashford, Co. Wicklow

Unfortunately we can't offer anything in the way of money.

Like us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/mrmojoswinebar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mariatchi

Hi ,I just wondered ,don't you pay the chefs and waiters either . If you do why on earth do you expect musicians to work for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MojosAshford

@mariatchi - Um well to start with we don't have any employees, the business is owned and run by the same person. Secondly, there are plenty of musicians out there who play music for the enjoyment and pleasure it brings, not the money.

If you are one, then we would love to hear from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mariatchi

Well done on running your business yourself mate all respect to you,but I'm sure you get some remuneration for your efforts . I was merely stating that as the musicians would be helping your business along surely they are entitled to the same consideration you expect for yourself . Would you for instance like to come up to my house and cook a nice meal for my family and friends to promote your restaurant ? .
    On your question am I one who plays for free ? yes for my friends and family (as I'm sure you cook for yours) on your offer to play for free I say "thanks but no thanks" but still I wish you well in your business and indeed your every day life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Sounds very similar (identical?) to that musician vs restaurant joke that was doing the rounds a few weeks ago....

Craigslist Ad:
    We are a small & casual restaurant in downtown Vancouver and we are looking for solo musicians to play in our restaurant to promote their work and sell their CD. This is not a paying job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More Jazz, Rock, & smooth type music, around the world and mixed cultural music. Are you interested to promote your work? Please reply back ASAP.

A Musician's Reply:
    Happy new year! I am a musician with a big house looking for a restauranteur to come to my house to promote his/her restaurant by making dinner for me and my friends. This is not a paying job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get a positive response. More fine dining & exotic meals and mixed Ethnic Fusion cuisine. Are you interested to promote your restaurant? Please reply back ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

@mariatchi - Um well to start with we don't have any employees, the business is owned and run by the same person. Secondly, there are plenty of musicians out there who play music for the enjoyment and pleasure it brings, not the money.

If you are one, then we would love to hear from you!

Good luck with that. I hope you have a better idea of the food industry than you do the music industry. Those musicians who play purely for the enjoyment normally do that either at home or in school. The rest of us need to make a living.....oh, and welcome to Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MojosAshford

This thread is no longer valid. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shto

This thread is no longer valid. Thanks

At what point was it valid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Yeah you could at least lay on a bar tab .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 planandattack

I don't know what all the fuss is about. If you provided maybe a bottle of wine and a meal I would play all evening. If you don't want to play and have nothing to offer why bother exacerbating the arguement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I don't know what all the fuss is about. If you provided maybe a bottle of wine and a meal I would play all evening. If you don't want to play and have nothing to offer why bother exacerbating the arguement?

Possibly because it's a community forum and there's a running argument that pops up every so often about whether bands should have to pay to play, be paid to play or be glad of an opportunity to play without being charged or paid.

Personally, I think that the owners of this wine bar were most likely being sincere and letting people know that should they want to, they can play to a crowd there, no charge and no fee.

Many other bar owners would be more than willing to offer this same deal, not because that was their only option, but because of a cynicism that gets people to add value to their business, making the business extra profit but costing nothing.

You can't argue option A without acknowledging that option B is a valid point also. Do all them trad pubs pay all those guys that come in and sit around playing? I couldn't honestly tell you if they do or not, but if the guys didn't come in and play it would negatively effect tourism which would negatively effect the bars profits. The Irish music industry could be a lot stronger if it went for long term profit rather than short term, but it's too easy to make the quick bit of cash instead of building up something that might bring in huge amounts of money. It can be seen from live music to radio.

*Although it must be said that there are those out there who work their heart and souls into providing good services and support for Irish music, usually for little or no monetary gain.*

In an industry where more often than not, the band are the ones to get f**ked over time and again, you can't expect people in bands not to kick up a fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 planandattack

You lost me at "Personally," mainly because the first paragraph answered my question. I realise I shouldn't have asked a rhetorical question.

Advertisement