Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap cans of coke in pound shops

Options
  • 22-06-2007 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

How come the cheep cans of coke that you get in poundshops and the like are always from abroad? Like with Russian writing and stuff instead of english? Got a can ages ago from Georgia (?)

Actually it's the same with chippers (always foreign) and some vending machines (the 1 at work currently has dutch coca-cola)

It still tastes the same, just wondering why they import it in? Would it not be more expensive?

Also - have you noticed that some coca-cola cans from abroad are of a different style, with a far bigger hole to drink from, it's better i think...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

No apparently its cheaper to impot it that buy it from the distributors in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Why is it that I find cans of coke tastier that bottles of coke??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

Some are bigger too, they have 380ml rather than the standard 330ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i`ve notice this in take aways as well,i believe a bit of tax dodging is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

dulpit wrote:
    How come the cheep cans of coke that you get in poundshops and the like are always from abroad? Like with Russian writing and stuff instead of english? Got a can ages ago from Georgia (?)

Actually it's the same with chippers (always foreign) and some vending machines (the 1 at work currently has dutch coca-cola)

It still tastes the same, just wondering why they import it in? Would it not be more expensive?

Also - have you noticed that some coca-cola cans from abroad are of a different style, with a far bigger hole to drink from, it's better i think...
    I've had some of these, and I agree with the bigger hole, much better! Sometimes they taste a bit better than home-grown stuff, sometimes a lot worse (depending on the plant's local water supply)! However I don't think these places are licensed to sell Coke imports. Might be worth contacting Coca Cola to find out?

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dulpit wrote:
    It still tastes the same, just wondering why they import it in? Would it not be more expensive?...
    Coke will control the prices in certain markets. Like the difference in cd or computer console games. They charge as much as they can. Any reputable store is going to go via the proper route, selling coke or consoles etc. It is the little grey area shops where you get the good bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

All the Griffins Londis Shops in Dublin are selling german bottles (0.5l). Thet must buy them in huge quantities as they have 15 or so shops in busy locations around dublin. And even then they charge you 1.49. :rolleyes:

Surprised that Coca cola doesn't intervene with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

yeah i've seen this in regular shops too,its always in Arabic or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Coke originates from Georgia :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The-Rigger wrote:
    Coke originates from Georgia :)

I think he meant the country, not the state :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement