Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Certification

Options
  • 27-05-2015 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

I have just completed my level 7 computing degree last week and I'm looking at moving on to getting some Java qualifications this summer.

I have been looking at starting with the OCAJP exams but I'm not sure which version to go for, 7 or 8?

I believe now with SE 8 you must do the associates exam first in order to progress to the professional exam (I don't think this is necessary with SE 7 though?) However I think I'd be best starting with the associates exam anyway.

I want to do this certification just to fill up my CV and to enhance my Java skills a bit more since I can't go back to get an honours degree next year (I need to get a full time job within the next few months) so I'm thinking about going for the OCAJP SE 8 exam as it's the most up-to-date, unless there is any reason I should do the SE 7 instead?
    I had read somewhere online that the SE 8 exams are more difficult than previous exams so was a little hesitant in booking it.

The other thing is, I was looking for books to buy online as I want to study for this exam in my own time and I found books that state they are for exam 1Z1-808 yet others say 1Z0-808. What's the difference between these two exams? Or which exam should I be booking?
    The only exam I can see on Oracle's website for OCAJP is the 1Z0-808 :confused:

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on which books I should be looking at getting to study this on my own would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I'm no help on the Java, but go back and do an extra year to get a Level 8 degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Thanks, but I can't unfortunately. I only received the student grant for the three year course that I have just finished and won't get it for another year.
    My bank account is empty. I need to find somewhere to live within the next few months which means I need to get a full time job. My only option to get a level 8, which I do want to do at some stage, is to go back and study part-time. However that also costs a lot of money so I need to put it off for a year or two at least.

I think my best option at the moment is to get some of these Java certifications and try get some kind of work experience.

Thanks, but I can't unfortunately. I only received the student grant for the three year course that I have just finished and won't get it for another year.
    My bank account is empty. I need to find somewhere to live within the next few months which means I need to get a full time job. My only option to get a level 8, which I do want to do at some stage, is to go back and study part-time. However that also costs a lot of money so I need to put it off for a year or two at least.

I think my best option at the moment is to get some of these Java certifications and try get some kind of work experience.

Im heading into third year of what sounds like a similar course to yours (its a level 7 IT course) and I intend on applying to get my fees paid for the fourth year. You have me worried now :D Are they really not giving you fees for the fourth year, after paying for the first three years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Im heading into third year of what sounds like a similar course to yours (its a level 7 IT course) and I intend on applying to get my fees paid for the fourth year. You have me worried now :D Are they really not giving you fees for the fourth year, after paying for the first three years?

I'm in the process of applying for grants at the moment and I don't think you're entitled. If you're studying a level7 course and have been given a grant for this, then you cannot apply for another grant for another course(level 8 addon) unless you have had a break of 5 years or more from education.

It made my mind up for me to do a level 8 for four years instead of level 7, as I wouldn't be entitled to do an addon level 8 with the course fees paid as I had just gone through level 7

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I thought that as long as you are progressing up in levels then you can still avail of the grant/fees being paid. Correct me If I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I thought that as long as you are progressing up in levels then you can still avail of the grant/fees being paid. Correct me If I am wrong.
    Perhaps, but that's what they were saying when i was at the college open day there a month or two ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I finished college 6 years ago so it may have changed since then but when progressing from a level 7 course to a level 8 course I was able to get a full grant.

I finished college 6 years ago so it may have changed since then but when progressing from a level 7 course to a level 8 course I was able to get a full grant.

I was nearly sure what you said is right. I know I have to reapply because its technically a different course.

Also to the op I know you said java certification because you want to get work quickly cause you can't get the grant but I know people who have got the level 7 and got CCNA who got work, if that is any good to you. I know its a completely different field to programming altogether, but if you Degree had networking in it then maybe that is something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

You can definitely get it again for the add on course. Just need to go through the hassle of reapplying but as ling as your circunstances have remained the same you will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

I believe now with SE 8 you must do the associates exam first in order to progress to the professional exam (I don't think this is necessary with SE 7 though?) However I think I'd be best starting with the associates exam anyway.

Java SE 7 Programmer I is required for Programmer II. In java 6, you could do the professional exam (now Programmer II) and not the associate (now Programmer I). The level I exams are much harder since they moved material from the higher level down.

When choosing the exam to take, consider the support material availible. For example this study guide is very comprensive for 7. They always lag behind for the newest verson of the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

tadcan wrote: »
    Java SE 7 Programmer I is required for Programmer II. In java 6, you could do the professional exam (now Programmer II) and not the associate (now Programmer I). The level I exams are much harder since they moved material from the higher level down.

When choosing the exam to take, consider the support material availible. For example this study guide is very comprensive for 7. They always lag behind for the newest verson of the exam.

That's great, thanks for the info.
    I think I'll go for 7 as I don't think doing the 8 exam will have any great advantages for job prospects and will most likely be less difficult finding appropriate study material.

You can indeed apply for the grant again as long as you are progressing to a higher level, they won't however give me the grant again because my circumstances have changed since I was approved three years ago and no longer qualify for the grant. So as long as your circumstances are the same you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Advertisement