Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What engagement present??

Options
  • 29-04-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hey ladies,
    My older sister got engaged a week or two ago and me and my other sister and stumped as to what to get her for an engagement present? i guess it should be for himself too so i really havent a clue....
    any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Eh... what? Engagement present? Buy them a card and a couple of drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've never bought anyone an engagement present, don't see the need for it when you will buy them a wedding present.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Eh... what? Engagement present? Buy them a card and a couple of drinks

Thats what i thought, bought them a deadly funky pigeon card with their faces on it even ha but everyone is telling me to buy them something?!!who knew this was a thing?!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you wha? wrote: »
    Thats what i thought, bought them a deadly funky pigeon card with their faces on it even ha but everyone is telling me to buy them something?!!who knew this was a thing?!!!

There is no way it's a thing, even if I sound out of touch
    You'll be buying them a wedding present
    Card and maybe a bottle of champagne if you want to get something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Agree completely with those who are saying that no present at all is required. It can certainly be the case that some may have an expectation though, I can recall times when a girl would throw an 'engagement party' (i.e. basically make a few sandwiches and use a small room / function area in a bar etc) , where everyone who was coming along would then feel obliged to bring a gift. It always struck me as odd / backhanded though, i.e. why not just head out for a normal evening of drinks / dinner etc to celebrate ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Mod

Moved from tLL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I agree that there's no need, ignore people saying that you must buy something.

But if you do want to, depending on your budget, something for the house? tickets to a play / concert / comedian? A bottle of bubbly? Suggest a family dinner to celebrate?

Honestly though, the card sounds like great fun and just perfect to mark the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

No need for a present at all - a nice card, maybe a bottle of bubbly and off you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brassbutterfly

I dont mean to go against the grain here but I think something small to mark the occasion would be nice! Nothing big or no need to spend a lot of money just something thoughtful. Depending on their taste you could get them something small in relation to where he popped the question eg a picture. I don't think they expect anything from you though? I definitely wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭you wha?

I dont mean to go against the grain here but I think something small to mark the occasion would be nice! Nothing big or no need to spend a lot of money just something thoughtful. Depending on their taste you could get them something small in relation to where he popped the question eg a picture. I don't think they expect anything from you though? I definitely wouldn't!

I was kinda thinking about a pic but they have so many flipping pics of themselves up at their place!i have wrecked my head thining of something and come up with nothing.to be honest i can barely afford to head to their engagement party next month so a pint from me will have to do haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 brassbutterfly

I was kinda thinking about a pic but they have so many flipping pics of themselves up at their place!i have wrecked my head thining of something and come up with nothing.to be honest i can barely afford to head to their engagement party next month so a pint from me will have to do haha

If that's the situation financially I definately wouldn't get them anything! They'll more than understand. Stop worry and just enjoy the party- don't be listening to ppl telling you about what you have to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

...their engagement party next month...

Are ''Engagement Parties'' still the norm?

I can fully understand meeting up with your friends & family etc shortly after getting engaged to have a few celebratory drinks, etc, but having a party a couple of months after you have actually gotten engaged seems a bit odd, to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ammiem

When my brother and his wife got engaged i contacted loads of their friends and put together a photo album and a collage of pics of them that they probably wouldnt have seen or wouldnt have seen in ages anyway. It was loads of work and turned out quite expensive but 6 years later it still has perfect position on their coffee table.

Advertisement