Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brother bill under scrutiny

Options
  • 21-03-2003 6:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not entirely sure if this has been posted before.
    Big Brother bill under scrutiny (registration required)

13.03.2003 - Privacy is not merely instrumental in the achievement of other goals but is a basic human right that applies to all persons by virtue of their status as human beings. It is not possible to overstate just how fundamental privacy is in a civilised legal system,” said the Law Reform Commission in 1998 in its report on privacy, surveillance and the interception of telecommunications.

Such an idealistic and civilised viewpoint is in danger of being swept aside by a contentious new bill that is aimed at monitoring and capturing internet and telephone data to be used in the interest of combating crime and protecting national security against terrorism.

The proposed Telecommunications Retention of Data Traffic Bill due to go before the Oireachtas in coming weeks has raised the ire of many civil rights groups as well as telecom carriers and internet service providers (ISPs) who seriously doubt they can log and monitor phone calls, text messages, faxes, emails and internet usage over a four-year period.

When news of the bill was leaked to the media in November it prompted outrage and Justice Minister Michael McDowell TD had to row in and deny that it was a “Big Brother bill”. Telcos and ISPs say that the technicality of storing and accessing such data was nigh on impossible and that the existence of such legislation might harm the progress of e-commerce and internet usage in Ireland.

[...]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ixidor

damn! if we ever get as bad america i'm going to buy myself a gun and go shooting up the dáil.

now i know that they'll have it all on camera

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It just struck me that seeing as Eircom, Esat, O2 and Vodaphone are all foreign owned, the Data Retention Act gives MI6 / CIA a carte blanche to tap in.
    Originally posted by Ixidor
    damn! if we ever get as bad america i'm going to buy myself a gun and go shooting up the dáil.
    That quote refers to ireland, not the USA.
    Originally posted by Ixidor
    now i know that they'll have it all on camera
    Make sure you shoot the guy speaking first, thats where the main camera points.

Advertisement