Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for starting Painting (oil, watercolour)

Options
  • 25-10-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all,

My wife's birthday is coming up shortly, she has always said how much she enjoyed art at school and often mentions that she would like to back into painting. So, I'd like to get some advice from somebody who knows what they are doing, I don't have a clue.

I've no problem spending 200-300 euro to get her a decent setup. I am assuming oil paints would be the best? I'd prefer get her good quality stuff, even if she might be classed as a beginner.

If there was a list of equipment that I need to buy and where to buy it, I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Oils are not necessarily the best. You said your wife did Art in school but it is unlikely that she would have done oils in school.

For beginners I would advise a set of acrylic paints or watercolours.

For watercolours you need watercolour paper - or a pad of paper.
    For Acrylic paper - including watercolour paper will do - but if you wish you can buy board or canvas in the art supplies shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

Red Hare wrote: »
    Oils are not necessarily the best. You said your wife did Art in school but it is unlikely that she would have done oils in school.

For beginners I would advise a set of acrylic paints or watercolours.

For watercolours you need watercolour paper - or a pad of paper.
    For Acrylic paper - including watercolour paper will do - but if you wish you can buy board or canvas in the art supplies shops.

Thanks Red Hare. any recommendation for quality brands? Which would produce better results watercolours or acrylic? Any recommendations on brush types or where to buy?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

In Dublin I recommend "Kennedys" on Harcourt Street or" K&M Evans" on Meeting house Lane - Off Mary's Abbey or "O'Sullivan Graphics" on Camden St.

"Daler "make the best Acrylic in my opinion.
    Watercolours - " Winsor & Newton" or " Schminke"

For Paints, brushes and Paper/Boards -I would say that Kennedys have the biggest selection.

All the brands are good generally.

OSullivan Graphics have a 20% discount if your a student on Tues & Sat.

If your wife is a total beginner - i would recommend buying a book to help - Kennedys have books for sale. Also kennedys do lesson in Art, maybe buy lessons if you are close to Dublin or nightclasses in your local area. I dont mean to sound like an ad for Kennedys - the other shops are good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is really no need to spend that much on even top quality art supplies. I would be inclined to go mid range and get some watercolours, some acrylics and some polychromo and sketching pencils - just enough of each to get started. A book or two, some sketch pads and acrylic paper and possibly enrollment to a night school class - which would actually absorb quite a bit of the budget, but would be a great start.

As she establishes which style she prefers she can build up more supplies as she needs them. Too much and too expensive could be off putting to a beginner. Also going straight into a group can be off putting (and difficult to get admittance) until she finds her own skills and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 halfmoon

Yes,
    too much expensive equipment in the beginning and she might think that she should not really use it because she is only a beginner. Mid range all the way and tell her there would be plenty more if she needed it, so don't hold back on splashing it about, the paint I mean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement